Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got back from picking my car up for repairs on the thermostat, water pump, two hoses and outlet.

The thermostat was covered under the power train warranty and pump covered under my extended warranty. $0 for parts and $0 for labor, just $100 for my deductible.

I paid $69 for the remaining parts, but noticed they tacked on all of the labor costs onto the work for the hoses and outlet.

This doesn't seem right. The warranties are supposed to cover the labor on the parts they cover, right?

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,095 Posts
Hi,

I just got back from picking my car up for repairs on the thermostat, water pump, two hoses and outlet.

The thermostat was covered under the power train warranty and pump covered under my extended warranty. $0 for parts and $0 for labor, just $100 for my deductible.

I paid $69 for the remaining parts, but noticed they tacked on all of the labor costs onto the work for the hoses and outlet.

This doesn't seem right. The warranties are supposed to cover the labor on the parts they cover, right?
How many hours labor did they tack on? If they just tacked on 0.5 hours or so, then they're charging for the extra labor to replace the parts above and beyond the covered ones. If they're charging enough labor to cover the full amount of time they were doing the job, then that sounds like they either made a genuine mistake on how they billed the labor, or they're up to something shady. (of course this assumes you have a 1.4L engine and it is within the age and mileage window for the pump and thermostat to be covered)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2012 1.4L 84930 miles on the car.

Obviously you guys know, the invoice goes line by line. Each line of the work that was done and covered under warranty has $0 parts and $0 labor, $100 deductible. Then, you get to the non cover parts, which were only the hoses and outlet. $69 for parts and $228 for labor. I cant find any kind of hours on here, though, just the cost of labor.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts

Obviously you guys know, the invoice goes line by line. Each line of the work that was done and covered under warranty has $0 parts and $0 labor, $100 deductible. Then, you get to the non cover parts, which were only the hoses and outlet. $69 for parts and $228 for labor. I cant find any kind of hours on here, though, just the cost of labor.
Both items replaced were covered under power train…..your extended insurance should have paid nothing.
Any fluids required are also covered under power train since they were required as a consequence of the repair.

Any hoses that were needed are also considered a consequence but Chevrolet will pin the dealer against the wall expecting to know why the hoses required replacement since there was no hose problem prior to the repair.

Bottom line: you owed NOTHING since both assemblies are covered under power train and the remaining parts, if really needed (doubtful) were required as a consequence of the covered repair.

You should not bear any financial burden nor should your extended warranty have been charged anything.

Rob

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,095 Posts

Looks like they charged you the "book" labor (how long the repair should take based on manufacturer estimates) on each of the parts they replaced. $228 looks like about 2.4 hours labor at $95/hour. I've never worked on a 1.4T (mine's a Diesel), but based on water pumps and hoses I have replaced in the past on other vehicles, an outlet and hose only takes about an additional 15 minutes per part, even on the worst of days. So if they charged you anything more than 0.7 hours labor, there was an error made somewhere.

Basically, it looks like they charged you as if they had removed and reinstalled every part as an individual job rather than doing them together. Based on what I understand from your story, it seems to me that they should have "stopped the clock" when they got to the point where they had the water pump and thermostat out, counted whatever time it took to do the additional work, charged you for that portion, then gone back to billing the warranty for the remainder of the job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. What are my next steps here? Who can I contact to get this corrected? I know there are Customer Service agents that check the board. Is that my way to go or should I contact someone else?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I would start with the Chevy Customer Care account here. PM them. If you can, scan in your work ticket and attach it to the PM.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Bottom line: you owed NOTHING since both assemblies are covered under power train and the remaining parts, if really needed (doubtful) were required as a consequence of the covered repair.

You should not bear any financial burden nor should your extended warranty have been charged anything.

Rob
If I read this right, not only was the Service Contract charged, the Customer was made to pay their deductible as well. We do know many of these contracts don't pay for fluids and hoses/belts... and the labor charged, although most should have been covered under Warranty overall sounds right? My CRUZE had a new Water pump put in today, 9000 Miles as of this week!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Your dealership didn't even bother to check with GM. Is this a "dealership" service contract? If so I wonder how many other people they've ripped off this way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The extended warranty is a 3rd party warranty. That is where the deductible comes from.

I took the car to an Autonation Chevrolet dealership. It was the one recommended to me from the Chevy Customer Care account when I had to have a previous part replaced.

I had written the Chevy Customer Care account last night and I havent received a response just yet.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Care to post your invoice here - black out name, address, phone, etc. I bet we have enough folks here who understand the warranty process to tell you if it's good or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Third party warranty. Not GMPP.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Here you go.

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=fa9be31c3d9b22301265418a23eb91c9

I couldnt directly attached it, since it exceeded the max file size.
Page 2 (PDF Page 1) Line item E - Low Engine Coolant Level without External Leak directly contradicts Page 1 (PDF Page 2) Line Item A diagnosis of leaks found.
Page 2 (PDF Page 1) Line item F - Replace Thermostat. The thermostat in the Cruze is covered under the GM Power Train 100,000 mile/5 year warranty. There is no deductible.

Page 1 (PDF Page 2) Line item B - Hoses are not covered under the power train warranty. You need to check your service plan with a fine tooth comb to verify yes/no on the coverage of these hoses. I'm not sure what the "Outlet" is but if it's connected to either the Thermostat or Water pump it should be covered under the Power Train.

Page 1 (PDF Page 2) Line item A states the water pump is leaking - where's the replacement water pump on the invoice. This line item states to install new water pump but I don't see the actual installation anywhere. The water pump on your Cruze is warranted for 150,000 miles/10 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Page 2 (PDF Page 1) Line item E - Low Engine Coolant Level without External Leak directly contradicts Page 1 (PDF Page 2) Line Item A diagnosis of leaks found.
Page 2 (PDF Page 1) Line item F - Replace Thermostat. The thermostat in the Cruze is covered under the GM Power Train 100,000 mile/5 year warranty. There is no deductible.

Page 1 (PDF Page 2) Line item B - Hoses are not covered under the power train warranty. You need to check your service plan with a fine tooth comb to verify yes/no on the coverage of these hoses. I'm not sure what the "Outlet" is but if it's connected to either the Thermostat or Water pump it should be covered under the Power Train.

Page 1 (PDF Page 2) Line item A states the water pump is leaking - where's the replacement water pump on the invoice. This line item states to install new water pump but I don't see the actual installation anywhere. The water pump on your Cruze is warranted for 150,000 miles/10 years.
When reading it over, I assumed the "W - (S) Pump Kit" was the water pump, since it was grouped together with the notes to replace the water pump and the "coolant" line. Below that, it shows Parts $0 and Labor $0. The water pump was covered under powertrain, the thermostat wasnt and I had to use my 3rd party warranty with the $100 deductible. They told me that the thermostat was NOT covered under power train, even when I questioned him on it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thermostat is covered on the Cruze.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is true if the O/P would have presented themselves at a GM Dealer. AutoNation does not honor a GM Powertrain warranty which runs for 5 years 100,000 miles.
The service rep told me the water pump was covered under the power train warranty, though.

And I have had other things serviced at this location that fell under "power train warranty".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts