Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had some time today so I stopped at a Chevy stealership today. Naturally the sales agent new jack about the 2017 Cruze diesels.But I got to look at a gasser hatchback and sedan and let him try to build a car on his computer. I also got a 2017 Cruze brochure. I discovered a few things. First, if I have to I will wait for the hatchback if it is 6 months or less later and if it is only $200 or so higher. I was more impress than I thought with the layout. Second the controls seem reasonable intuitive though I don't like that the phone has to be hardwired in in order to use Apple Play rather than just using the bluetooth connection. This will also require a special wire since it is a usb port. Third the seats are good enough IF you get the leather upgrade, that cost extra unless you get the premium but I will pay it. Fourth there are issues with the colors, Cajun Red and Kinetic Blue Metallic cost extra. Orange Burst Metallic costs extra and is not available until later. I want Cajun Red, manual with Kalahari Leather. Fifth, I can get all of that but I have to give them a thousand up front and wait 6 weeks for them to build it. No point in doing that until they start to hit the stealerships parking lots. Since I am not thrilled with the sedan, I'll pass on it and ignore that the hatchback is built in Mexico. If Chevy union workers don't like that they can persuade Chevy to move production. Our best guess is about $24K pretax for what I want. I will entertain counter offers from any dealers on here or better clarification.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Second the controls seem reasonable intuitive though I don't like that the phone has to be hardwired in in order to use Apple Play rather than just using the bluetooth connection.
That's how Apple and Android both designed the pass-through functionality, so every manufacturer's system works like that. I don't think Bluetooth has the necessary bandwidth for graphics on top of audio.

·
17,346 Posts
It shows its charging, but it is a slow charge. Usually my phone dies at a slower rate than it normally would if it wasn't plugged in. But it doesn't charge as fast as the 12v outlet
I had that happen with my iPhone in my '12 Cruze when navigation was on and the screen was constantly lit up. However, it definitely charges the iPhone in the '16. I think it's a 1A USB port rather than your typical 500 mA.

The Premier actually has this nifty wireless charging holder, but of course Apple doesn't support that...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but with the Premier you have to take the first year issued new 9 speed automatic transmission and sunroof both of which seem to be tempting the Demon Murphy for me. Plus I'm cheap, LT is just fine with the leather added. I'm not a Fandroid either..

·
10,713 Posts
I had that happen with my iPhone in my '12 Cruze when navigation was on and the screen was constantly lit up. However, it definitely charges the iPhone in the '16. I think it's a 1A USB port rather than your typical 500 mA.

The Premier actually has this nifty wireless charging holder, but of course Apple doesn't support that...

Is the USB slot as picky as the 1 gen was on what USB sticks it likes and doesn't? Also does this MyLink support EMOJI in the contacts names?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What's the MPG on the '17s? I'm just curious compared to my '13 to see how much they've improved.
Don't they have that start/stop technology now that started in '16?

·
17,346 Posts
What's the MPG on the '17s? I'm just curious compared to my '13 to see how much they've improved.
Don't they have that start/stop technology now that started in '16?
30/34/42 for the autos.

No word on the Diesel yet, but it'll probably hit that 50 MPG or more highway figure.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yup im trying to get pricing also and th dealerships keep steering me towards a gasser on the lot

·
Registered
706 Posts
no they done know jack or sam or steve or ****

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
30/34/42 for the autos.

No word on the Diesel yet, but it'll probably hit that 50 MPG or more highway figure.
The hatchback is rated about 2 mpg less on the highway than the sedan is in gas but I need the utility of a hatch. They also rate the automatic higher than the manual which I can understand in the city but not on the highway. One thing that I do wonder is where do you put the DEF fluid in the diesel? VW had moved it to a second file hole next to the fuel hole and under the same cover in their last edition before they got busted. That was much more convenient than the way they had the Passat.

·
17,346 Posts
The hatchback is rated about 2 mpg less on the highway than the sedan is in gas but I need the utility of a hatch. They also rate the automatic higher than the manual which I can understand in the city but not on the highway. One thing that I do wonder is where do you put the DEF fluid in the diesel? VW had moved it to a second file hole next to the fuel hole and under the same cover in their last edition before they got busted. That was much more convenient than the way they had the Passat.
I keep forgetting the hatch MPG rating is different. Premier (sedan) is 30/42 because of the tires and unsprung weight.

The highway rating is a mystery to me too, considering that the manual has a taller final gear. In real world driving, I still think the manual would do better.

DEF - look at the size of that gas filler door. Completely unnecessary on the gas car, so my bet is that the DEF filler neck will go there like on the trucks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe that in the gas models they have a start/stop system but only in models with automatic transmissions. I have no idea if that is going to carry over into diesels.

·
10,713 Posts
I keep forgetting the hatch MPG rating is different. Premier (sedan) is 30/42 because of the tires and unsprung weight.

The highway rating is a mystery to me too, considering that the manual has a taller final gear. In real world driving, I still think the manual would do better.

DEF - look at the size of that gas filler door. Completely unnecessary on the gas car, so my bet is that the DEF filler neck will go there like on the trucks.
Auto makers are making autos and CVT better MPG than manual to kill it off most likely. There is "no excuse" to buy one for economy anymore unless you went L trim or something to them.

Also figured the same thing on the huge fuel door and extra space for a legit not last minute DEF fill spot.

I believe that in the gas models they have a start/stop system but only in models with automatic transmissions. I have no idea if that is going to carry over into diesels.

Yeah manuals don't have it, you would have to incorporate it into the clutch pedal as some intersections I stop and hand brake it making brake pedal moot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find several reasons to buy a manual. First my ancestors were Scottish, i.e. skinflints, the automatic is a $2000 upgrade that adds a sunroof that I REALLY don't want. Second regardless of what the EPA said my experience with VW diesels was that the manual definitely got better mpg and the auto transmission fluid/filter changes were expensive even if you did the work yourself. Third you are more engaged in driving the vehicle with a manual, and I believe that results in fewer wrecks. Fourth manual transmissions are antitheft devices, most young punk thieves can't drive them and nobody wants to borrow them. On a side note my previous boss, in his late 30's couldn't drive a manual but that is the only type of vehicle that his wife would drive. Fifth repairs are much cheaper with a manual transmission. I drive a car, I'm not transported by an appliance.

·
10,713 Posts
I find several reasons to buy a manual. First my ancestors were Scottish, i.e. skinflints, the automatic is a $2000 upgrade that adds a sunroof that I REALLY don't want. Second regardless of what the EPA said my experience with VW diesels was that the manual definitely got better mpg and the auto transmission fluid/filter changes were expensive even if you did the work yourself. Third you are more engaged in driving the vehicle with a manual, and I believe that results in fewer wrecks. Fourth manual transmissions are antitheft devices, most young punk thieves can't drive them and nobody wants to borrow them. On a side note my previous boss, in his late 30's couldn't drive a manual but that is the only type of vehicle that his wife would drive. Fifth repairs are much cheaper with a manual transmission. I drive a car, I'm not transported by an appliance.

I spent about a year planing my next move. Finding a manual in this area was horrible and I almost gave up many times. As overkill said, dealers rather sell you whats already collecting dirt around the tires than have you order something that won't free up space on their lot. Talk to a dealer about a manual here and they take offense like you said something inappropriate about their kids or wife. I'm not gonna say it's anti theft, many seasoned people in the market for stealing cars will know how to drive stick better than me. On the nobody can drive/borrow it part, totally applies for my situation. I did that on purpose so I can't lend my car out and be stuck waiting for them to come pick me up. Most the times it bit me in the butt and I get stuck as the DD since I'm not gonna let you learn how to drive on my car or leave it in a strange place overnight. I also used the excuse that driving a manual would stop me from doing a list of things I wish to not mention publicly and somehow I managed to do all those things and still manage to shift in time.

It's early in the game (only 600 miles on the car) and slightly ot, my choice of manual over CVT hasn't played out for MPG sake but that's not my reason for getting it. I also want to be apart of the driving experience and not be treated like I deserve the L trim because of it.

·
17,346 Posts
Haha, find one WITH a manual and they'll be happy to get rid of it. The one dealer I talked to that had a manual 1LT in 2012 was glad to sell it to me! It had been sitting on their lot for 6 months. Similarly, another tried to push a 1.4 Eco or LS manual on me. Nah.

I wish they'd offer a better manual transmission with the new one with some good option packages, but like the old 2LT manual unicorn, I doubt it would sell as well as something in a more fun-to-drive car. And even those are a hard sell these days.

#makemanualsgreatagain

1 - 20 of 31 Posts