Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the optimal all around tire pressure one should be running in a Cruze 1LT Automatic for the best fuel economy, without creating too much of a stiff, firm ride......34 PSI all around??

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
On my ECO MT, it seems like 40 is the sweet spot between MPG and ride comfort.
Yep-I am 41 cold on my 2011 ECO MT - I think a good compromise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run about 38-39 PSI cold. They sometimes hit 41 on a hot day. My mileage is shown in my signature which reflects the entirety of keeping my tires at this pressure.

Cheers

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Ideal tire pressure for max fuel economy is whatever is listed on the sidewall.

Note I didn't say ideal compromise between FE and ride comfort.

I run mine at 50 psi. "Too stiff" is an entirely subjective statement. My lowered 95 Regal with 1.5" of suspension travel and much stiffer springs is "too stiff." By comparison, the Cruze is quite plush.

The Eco's tires have a particularly soft sidewall, which makes the car feel a bit spongy in the corners. Raising tire pressure greatly improved handling.

It's really up to you to determine what your specific compromise will be and how much stiffer is "too stiff."

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Ideal tire pressure for max fuel economy is whatever is listed on the sidewall.

Note I didn't say ideal compromise between FE and ride comfort, nor was that the question.

I run mine at 50 psi.

You know.. there may be a point of diminishing returns. I am sure there is with tires. The fuel economy experts only say "3.3% for 5 psi under the manufacturer recommended tire pressure." However, we don't know if or how much that correlates to over. Personally, I haven't noticed a difference on the highway between the lame 30, and running 40 psi cold on my LTZ. However, it does coast slightly better with higher psi, obviously. So how much rolling resistance is actually going on there is tough to quantify. It would be an interesting study.

When GM hacked out our engines, they said the fuel economy ratings for subsequent models will be unaffected because they will simply increase the recommended tire pressure. This suggests some benefit to going higher. However, I still haven't noticed a fuel economy difference since the hackjob. Are these increases there? Probably. Are they perceivable? Not at all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, heres another question tha...what PSI is the best for the maximum tire tread life on the FR710 Firestones?? If you guys that are running 40PSI, I would bet that will shorten the Firestone's tread life!
I would think the ideal PSI to get the most out of the Firestones would be 34PSI.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Ok, heres another question tha...what PSI is the best for the maximum tire tread life on the FR710 Firestones?? If you guys that are running 40PSI, I would bet that will shorten the Firestone's tread life!
I would think the ideal PSI to get the most out of the Firestones would be 34PSI.
100% false.

The best tread life will be achieved at the maximum sidewall pressure and religious 3500-5000 mile rotations. It is not unusual to need to replace tires due to dry rot and age instead of tread wear when such high pressures are maintained.

I've been testing this on my Cruze for 28k miles. It has already been tested and repeatedly verified on ecomodder.com.

I have extensive posts on this subject on this forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow...40PSI!? You guys like riding so hard and firm?

nope not on my ECO AT with the Good year tires...IMO its a good compromise. It might differ some with your firestones. You will prob just have to play with it a bit. Congrats on your Cruze (or future Cruze) btw.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Try 38. Anything more is uncomfortable on the Firestones.

I feel the exact same with the 16in firestone FR 710 tires. Door place card is 35psi, tire sidewall is 44psi. I actually only run 38psi hot tire pressure, mine are usually set at 34-35psi cold. Sidewall of tire is still very soft at these PSI, I might bump it up a bit.

Thing is every time I go in for an oil change the dealer lowers the tire pressure, they seem to leave alone where I have them now. I also still get great MPG so I am not sure the MPG advantage of higher PSI is that much greater anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Reactions: EcoDave
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.