Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke to a mechanic who is of the opinion that one should let a turbo run for 20 seconds before shutting it off. He believes this because it allows the turbo to cool off or something like that. I didn't fully understand.

I usually pull into my garage and shut her off right away. Any thoughts on this issue?

thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
This little turbo (meaning the impeller is about the diameter of a half dollar) is done spinning moments after the engine returns to idle, so it can be assumed the bearings aren't spinning and oil flow is of no concern.
The next thought though is cooling the bearings by allowing the engine to idle momentarily, causing the oil being pumped to the turbo to pull some heat off them.

Although nothing is written, and many feel the 'cool down' is unneccessary, I'm old and therefore, old-schooly in my thoughts.
As a result, I let it idle a few moments while turning the fan off, turning the radio off, get my wits about me before shutting it off.
I figure thats long enouph, maybe thirty or fourty seconds, to assure the turbo bearings had some heat pulled off.

Regardless of my thoughts, I don't think anyone on the forum has had a turbo failure related to bearings....just a couple of worn out by-pass links......so....its up to you to decide how you want to go through a shutdown but I suspect I likely lean towards overkill.

Rob

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The Cruze runs a cool down cycle after you turn the car off. If you listen you will hear it as a high pitched whine after turning the engine off. So no, you don't need to "cool down" the car.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
This has been discussed here before. Since the turbo on the Cruze is both oil and water cooled, it is thought not to need a cool down period before shutdown. However, you must be using the approved (or better) oil to prevent the oil left in the turbo bearings and feed lines from "coking" and causing premature turbo bearing failure due to insufficient oil flow.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
When running at high speeds you should always let the Turbo idle for 60 seconds, perhaps less with a modern turbo. Driving on the interstate pulling off to a rest stop cutting the engine right away was an example of what not to do. Driving to your home at hopefully lower speeds wouldn't require a cool down.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If the engine was given a good work out. I would let it idle before shutting it down.Other than that you should be fine.The factory programing will also turn on the radiator cooling fan to cool off the Turbo.It will run the fan if the right conditions are met.And the engine has been shut off

·
10,711 Posts
If the engine was given a good work out. I would let it idle before shutting it down.Other than that you should be fine.The factory programming will also turn on the radiator cooling fan to cool off the Turbo.It will run the fan if the right conditions are met.And the engine has been shut off
I clearly am not driving my car hard enough to enable the fan to come on while the car is off. I do get the high pitched noise and see/hear the overflow tank siphoning coolant to what I assume is the turbo.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,794 Posts
It's unnecessary unless you climbed a hill or beat the snot out of your car just before getting there. Otherwise, shut it off and walk away.

Sent from Bill the WonderPhone

·
Banned
168 Posts
Get another mechanic. The one who told you that has not kept up with the engineering and durability improvements made to turbo systems now that they are in everyday use in all sorts of mom and pop grocery getter cars. There is a small auto repair shop near me that has a sign that reads: "Personalized, Not Computerized." He recently shut down due to lack of business.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.