Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the fact that, since I've bought this car, I've had so many issues, I still love my Cruze.

I'd like to know how difficult it would really be for me to attempt to replace the idler pulley/tensionser pulley and how I can check to see which part is needing replaced.

The engine makes a very specific noise... when it's idling it squeaks, like "if the bed's a rockin' don't come knockin' " kind of noise, and the squeak speeds up when the car is in motion depending on the amount of RPM. Now, I know some of you will tell me it's the belt, and it isn't. I've checked the belt and it's brand new, just replaced after the horrid accident I had last year. I know for a fact it's something on the serpentine belt tensioner and honestly it would be great if it was just the idler because that part is only $15, and a whole new tensioner is $40.

So, there isn't a special tool I need or anything right? as far as I know it's just a socket wrench and some elbow grease (and maybe a few busted knuckles if I'm not careful). I was quoted at almost $250 for a shop to do the work and it just blew me away.... is it really that hard? do I have to do something special to fix it? I don't want to fork over that amount of money if I'm capable of fixing it myself... and I'm pretty adept at engine work, just haven't had the chance to do any on my Angela yet.

Any help appreciated!

Edit: Forgot to mention I have a 1.4L Turbo engine...

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The manual says to remove the right engine mount, which includes some "torque to yield" bolts that will have to be replaced as you can't use the old ones again. Apparently you have to do that to change the belt. And of course removing the belt is the first step in replacing the tensioner, but I wonder if you can just loosen the belt and let it hang out of the way. So maybe you can get by without removing the engine mount when replacing the tensioner. You may need to remove the wheelhouse liner to give you some room.

But frankly, the fact it's been in accident concerns me. The problem might be the pulleys are out of alignment or contaminated. The manual also suggests an overcharged A/C can cause problems. And I wouldn't rule out the belt. I know back in the '80s Sears sold belts that sounded like popcorn once they got a little wear on them. The solution was to buy your belt somewhere else. Maybe the repair place used a cheap belt.

But I think what I'd do is pop the belt off and check the operation of the tensioner. If it swings smoothly and the pulley spins well without any "crunching", I think I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

But if you have to pull the engine mount, I'd change the belt with a known good brand and clean the pulleys.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.