Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went looking for DEF at pumps rather than buying it in bottles.

If you are on highway 131 north of GR then exit 120 and the Mobil to the east has it.
Big truck stop with a scale and lots of traffic.

Def is on the back side of the building just look for the sign.

As a bonus its only 10 miles from where I live.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,148 Posts
I hadn't found the one at exit 120 yet on 131. I had been going to Peterson Oil in Greenville, on M91, north of town. Their pump broke down a couple times and sent me hunting elsewhere, though. I found DEF just west of Grand Rapids at the Speedway in Coopersville at exit 16 of I-96 and south of Grand Rapids at the Exxon near Dorr at exit 68 of US131. Pretty much the same price everywhere. I haven't used the Dorr station, but getting DEF in Greenville or Coopersville has been a smooth process. Coopersville will probably be my new go-to station, since I have a trip only a couple exits away several times a week now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Semis also have bigger nozzles and won't fit in your vehicles. I don't think you can pump def without pumping fuel first.
This is a separate pump, does not take a credit card, just pull the hose out and it fits the tank in the trunk just fine.
Gives you price and gallons dispensed but you have to go inside to pay.

I pumped 4 gallons for $11. ($2.67/gal I think including taxes)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looking for DEF at the pump? this locator might help.

http://www.discoverdef.com/retail-def-search/

Just like pumping gas/diesel but into the trunk. One of the funniest threads was when someone put diesel fuel into their DEF tank. It was a relative happy ending as they realized their mistake and never started the car. They drained the tank and everything was fine.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
This is a separate pump, does not take a credit card, just pull the hose out and it fits the tank in the trunk just fine.
Gives you price and gallons dispensed but you have to go inside to pay.

I pumped 4 gallons for $11. ($2.67/gal I think including taxes)
Yes i know it's a seperate pump. Semi's use def also.

I wasn't sure if you guys could buy def without fuel. @revjpeterson says you can though.

Semis pump the fuel first. def second. Fuel 3rd if they're pulling a reefer trailer. I"m guessing is how that works. I've never pulled a reefer.

I didn't even know you guys could use a standard credit till i saw motorhomes using the semi fuel islands last year instead of using the car islands. Semi's use company fuel cards that AREN'T standard credit cards. Real inconvenience for semis when you guys hold up their show. They're on a D.O.T. mandated clock. You guys are not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did sense some of the truckers displeasure. So I only go on Saturday afternoon & truck traffic is minimal. Also, I go inside to prepay $10. I use almost all of it and leave giving the cashier a tip of the few cents that I don't use. Maybe another reason to delete HMMMM :)

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,148 Posts
I did sense some of the truckers displeasure. So I only go on Saturday afternoon & truck traffic is minimal. Also, I go inside to prepay $10. I use almost all of it and leave giving the cashier a tip of the few cents that I don't use. Maybe another reason to delete HMMMM :)
One thing nice about the station in Greenville was that it wasn't a major destination for trucks. It was mostly local box trucks, propane delivery trucks, school buses, etc. that filled there. Never saw a semi there. So, there usually wasn't a wait for a pump or feeling like being in somebody's way.

The Coopersville station I mentioned had truck lanes, but only 2, and DEF was only at 1. The one time I filled there, there was a truck in the other lane, and nobody pulled up to wait. Since I didn't have to go in to pay, I was filled and done in 2-3 minutes flat, and out of the way.

When I've filled at larger truck stops out in Iowa with 8-12 lanes, I got some weird looks waiting in line for a pump and from those waiting behind me, so I can see how they could be annoyed by thinking I didn't know where I was going or wishing I wasn't taking up "their" space.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes i know it's a seperate pump. Semi's use def also.

I wasn't sure if you guys could buy def without fuel. @revjpeterson says you can though.

Semis pump the fuel first. def second. Fuel 3rd if they're pulling a reefer trailer. I"m guessing is how that works. I've never pulled a reefer.

I didn't even know you guys could use a standard credit till i saw motorhomes using the semi fuel islands last year instead of using the car islands. Semi's use company fuel cards that AREN'T standard credit cards. Real inconvenience for semis when you guys hold up their show. They're on a D.O.T. mandated clock. You guys are not.
Oh, boo hoo hoo. I never see annoyance. Just amazement that I'm pumping DEF into my trunk. I'm there 5 minutes and they are going to be okay!

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Oh, boo hoo hoo. I never see annoyance. Just amazement that I'm pumping DEF into my trunk. I'm there 5 minutes and they are going to be okay!
BOO YAHHHHHH. Kudos to you.

Most of you sit there. Walk inside. Pee the kids. Shop for junk food. Walk the dogs. Or a burger. YADA YADA YADA.

Meanwhile. There's 3 trucks behind you.

I"m one of the lucky one's that don't have to use the dot mandated clock. But i do want to go home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.