Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Play in full screen 720p/1080p otherwise the video can be a little hard to decipher.
Ended up doing this the first time on accident, I've done it like 4 times since.
Happens after about 75 seconds or so of continuously gliding in neutral (With my automatic, at least).
One time it went from 1/4 to F and jumped from 100 to 450 miles to empty, every other time it went down to E but never tripped the gas light like this time.
It shows that the gas gauge is not tied exclusively to the fuel lever sensor, but instead the estimated economy calculator for whatever reason.
That's why the car will say you are running on fumes but still have a gallon or two or maybe even three in the tank.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
It shows that the gas gauge is not tied exclusively to the fuel lever sensor, but instead the estimated economy calculator for whatever reason.
That's why the car will say you are running on fumes but still have a gallon or two or maybe even three in the tank.
I'm not sure that is true, I think you might have found some sort of bug with the software, a strange one at that. My 2012 1LT low fuel warning light comes on at the exact same point every single time, 13.1 gallons burned(pump calculated). That leaves a 2.5gallon reserve, at the combined 30MPG rating thats 75mile reserve range after the low fuel light goes off(If you like being stranded on the side of the hwy and completely empty).

I never coast my auto in N as I like to utilize DFCO, the few times I have I have never used neutral for more than 20-30 seconds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I should mention that other times, like when I drive like it like a rally car and my average goes down and then I drive it nicely I "gain back" a few ticks of gas according to the gauge along with a higher DTE number, though I dont have any video evidence of it. So its not just this bug that causes the gauge to move in relation to the mileage estimator.
I dont really neutral glide a whole lot either, only in places where there is enough of a slope to glide but not enough while in gear. The car using gas to idle is less than it using enough to maintain speed, considering the 99+ mpg compared to the ~35-40 mpg I would get on that road. But thats just me.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Well I should mention that other times, like when I drive like it like a rally car and my average goes down and then I drive it nicely I "gain back" a few ticks of gas according to the gauge along with a higher DTE number, though I dont have any video evidence of it. So its not just this bug that causes the gauge to move in relation to the mileage estimator.
If you see the gauge moving down when you are getting on it, that’s because the gas in the tank is sloshing around causing erratic readings. I've seen cars drop 1/4 tank on the gauge going around a corner. If your sloshing the fuel around and the gauge reads lower than actual, once your easy on it and more stable, the gauge goes back to the more accurate position.

The range on the DIC is all based on average MPG, if you get on it the range will drop. However if you start being easy on it the range will climb. I drove for 2 hours one day being easy on it, the range climbing slightly or remaining the same the entire drive. On the same note if your easy on it the whole tank but start getting on it when the low fuel warning goes off, the range indicated will not be accurate as you are burning gas at a much higher rate than you were most of the tank.

·
10,713 Posts
Yeah thats strange, wonder if it would do that with a manual. As for low fuel mine used to trip the light and show low range once i hit 57 but now it goes all the way to 41 miles to empty. With the factory eco fuell assembly toped off completely the range will start off at 350 and climb to like 470

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you see the gauge moving down when you are getting on it, that’s because the gas in the tank is sloshing around causing erratic readings. I've seen cars drop 1/4 tank on the gauge going around a corner. If your sloshing the fuel around and the gauge reads lower than actual, once your easy on it and more stable, the gauge goes back to the more accurate position.
By rally car I didnt mean drifting 90 degrees sideways and traffic dodging, i just meant a lot of redlining and vvt and speed limit breaking (which I guess isnt accurately described by 'driving like a rally car' now that you mention it).

The range on the DIC is all based on average MPG, if you get on it the range will drop. However if you start being easy on it the range will climb.
Thats what I was talking about with my little story, and when the range started to go up after I calmed down the needle went up 2-3 ticks.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The fuel level sensor can be confused simply by parking on a slope overnight. Face the nose downhill and in the morning you will have less gas reported. Face it uphill and you'll have more gas reported. Every GM I've owned has been this way.

As for your video I suspect you either found a bug in the console software or have an intermittent glitch in a sensor somewhere. Most likely a display bug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts