Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,827 Posts
That's what I needed to know. If it runs, then I will make the fixes, such as new head bolts, new oil and coolant, coolant overflow canister, vacuum and pcv lines that broke. Oh, and I somehow lost a throttle body bolt. I'm not sure the effect that will have but will have to get another.
You made me chuckle 😆

You remind me of myself 20 years ago.

Reactions: snowwy66

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On Sunday I took the engine apart again, and got a new head gasket. I cleaned the mating surfaces with acetone and car cleaner and a razor blade. Today I put the gasket on and the head on and reassembled the engine. About 8 hours to put it all back together. I was putting the bolts in the thermostat and 2 bolts broke. I had to get those out, but I had extras.
I set the cam properly and got the wires back on.

When it was all together, I did a compression test. #1=0; #2= 50; #3=80; #4=80

#1 cylinder is dead. Must be something in the block or head. That is the cylinder that had 1/2" oil and water when I first tore it apart. No further working on it. At least now I know that it is not the head gasket. It wouldn't fire at all.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Those compression readings are all low.

Reactions: snowwy66

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're entire engine is dead.

80 is the bare minimum needed to fire.
On a gas engine.
I don't know if I did anything wrong on the rebuild. If I didn't clean the mating surfaces good enough... When I put the head bolts on, I didn't have an adaptor for the size of the torque wrench to the torx. I used the rachet as I realized it wasn't using ft lbs, but it used degrees. I snugged them by hand in a spiral, then did 90 degrees, and then 45 where it stopped, then I realized that a benefit of a torque wrench is the longer handle, then I used an extension handle on the rachet to finish the 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees, then 45 degrees. I got scared on the last bolt when it felt loose, but it wasn't the bolt. I torqued the head broke on the extension to the rachet. They were all snugged down good.

Could I have messed up the compression test. I did it like the video in Eric the car guy on youtube.

Most likely the head is warped or the rings are bad.

But it was educational taking it apart and putting it back together and fun on a nice sunny day.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I don't know if I did anything wrong on the rebuild. If I didn't clean the mating surfaces good enough... When I put the head bolts on, I didn't have an adaptor for the size of the torque wrench to the torx. I used the rachet as I realized it wasn't using ft lbs, but it used degrees. I snugged them by hand in a spiral, then did 90 degrees, and then 45 where it stopped, then I realized that a benefit of a torque wrench is the longer handle, then I used an extension handle on the rachet to finish the 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees, then 45 degrees. I got scared on the last bolt when it felt loose, but it wasn't the bolt. I torqued the head broke on the extension to the rachet. They were all snugged down good.

Could I have messed up the compression test. I did it like the video in Eric the car guy on youtube.

Most likely the head is warped or the rings are bad.

But it was educational taking it apart and putting it back together and fun on a nice sunny day.
Isn't that what people were trying to tell you in your other thread?

Reactions: Maqcro1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Isn't that what people were trying to tell you in your other thread?
That the engine was toast??

I hated the thought of buying an old used car, so I wanted to do what I could to get mine running. It's just way too much to make that happen. There was hope that it would just be a head gasket. Worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
That the engine was toast??

I hated the thought of buying an old used car, so I wanted to do what I could to get mine running. It's just way too much to make that happen. There was hope that it would just be a head gasket. Worth a shot.
Yeah. jblackburn said it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts