Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a GM dealership right now and was hoping they could install the illuminated door sill plates (the GM ones, not aftermarket). They told me it'd take 2 whole hours to install! Their labor rate is $134/hr and there's no way I'm paying $268 to have these installed!

What I want to know is if anyone happens to know what the book time is on these?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
In general, there is no published install time for accessories.

Since there is a fair amount of wiring required I could see 2hrs.......removing covers to get to the harnesses, installing the sills, running the harnesses......solder/heat shrink and re assemble.......time consuming.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
These illuminated door sill plates were likely to be my next OEM accessory for my 2015 LTZ too, but they are certainly expensive and now that I know have expensive the labor is, it might have to be something I save up for. Plus, I want to get a few minor issues that are going on with my Cruze completely addressed first, because there's no point putting money into the car to make it more aesthetically pleasing if the **** thing is going to continually have random issues pop up.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
My mom's 2012 cruze, has the OEM cruze door sill plates, but stopped working already completely. I heard they are not that durable
I don't realize there were reliability issues with the illuminated door sill plates. Maybe the few members who actually have them can/will chime in and tell us how they have held up?! Like I said, I certainly want these but for the price and the price of labor, I need them to be issue free once installed.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My mom's 2012 cruze, has the OEM cruze door sill plates, but stopped working already completely. I heard they are not that durable
Huh. I don't think there's anything too them except wire, plugs and LEDs. I assume they're LED and not EL.

These illuminated door sill plates were likely to be my next OEM accessory
Something to consider, the OEM ones are "inside"(of the weatherseal), on the plastic part of the door sill. The aftermarket ones I've seen are one the "outside" on the flat metal part. Which looks better in my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Something to consider, the OEM ones are "inside"(of the weatherseal), on the plastic part of the door sill. The aftermarket ones I've seen are one the "outside" on the flat metal part. Which looks better in my mind.
Yeah, I've always thought it was pretty strange that the OEM ones go on the plastic part of the door sill! It kinda defeats the purpose because I wouldn't want to scuff them up, lol! I'd rather just scuff the plastic up rather than the nice illumination plates, but what can you do?

So do they cut out a space in the plastic part of the door for the illuminated door sill plates to sit in? Or do the illuminated sill plates replace that whole plastic piece?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
So do they cut out a space in the plastic part of the door for the illuminated door sill plates to sit in? Or do the illuminated sill plates replace that whole plastic piece?
No, you drill holes in the plastic to mount the sills on top of the plastic. So they're on the plastic, but they're pretty thin.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't realize there were reliability issues with the illuminated door sill plates. Maybe the few members who actually have them can/will chime in and tell us how they have held up?! Like I said, I certainly want these but for the price and the price of labor, I need them to be issue free once installed.
hopefully they chime in and post some pics lol everyone please!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.