Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

I'm back, like I never left!

712 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Sunline Fan
Hey All,

Long time no (Cruze) talk!

As some of you may remember, against my better judgement, I sold my 2012 LTZ back in the summer of 2017. We had 62k great miles together, but I had grown tired of the car and issues associated with the mods I did. I had about an hour one way commute at that time, plus a lot of other driving meant a lot of seat time. I was ready for something different and I had an opportunity to get into a different (some may argue nicer) car, a 2014 Lincoln MKZ. Well about three weeks after selling the Cruze and getting the MKZ, I abruptly left the job that gave me that horrible commute, thus solving that problem in a different way than planned.

The MKZ has been good to me, but I never had anywhere near the connection to it that I did to the Cruze. The Cruze I found fun to drive, easy to park, easy to fit in my garage, and surprisingly spacious inside. Plus, I love to hypermile (in a mild form) when given the opportunity, and the Cruze always delivered results. No matter what I did, the MKZ has been a fuel hog that does not deliver any sort of better results to reward my efforts. Above all, this has been the best car community I've ever been a part of with so many good memories. I remember even saying that at the time, this is a unique group of people we had gathered at Lordstown and we'll probably never experience anything like this again.

About two years ago, I stumbled across a 2012 LTZ RS at my local Chevy dealer, advertised on Facebook Marketplace, in the same Autumn Metallic as my old one. It had the black interior, but that still didn't keep me from test driving it. Immediately I remembered how much I enjoyed driving the car and how much I missed it, but the black interior with the mesh dash just didn't do it for me. I needed my Cocoa/Light Neutral again.

I reached out to the people who bought my old Cruze, to see if they were interested in selling. They never responded. I haven't written it off but I also wondered about finding another example of this rare combination. So I set up an Autotrader alert for this color combo. I hardly heard from Autotrader until recently, when a handful of examples have come up within about 500 miles of me. I was tempted to go check out a couple of them but with them between 5 and 8 hours from home, that's not an easy day trip. Unfortunately the current (stupid) car market requires moving pretty fast, too.

Fast forward to a couple Wednesdays ago, Autotrader alerted me to a 2012 LTZ RS in Autumn/Cocoa about an hour away from me. I immediately contacted the dealer and made plans to go see it the next day. It only had one prior owner and was SUPER clean, aside from car wash scratches. 119k miles but looked like 20k. When I arrived, the car was every bit as they described and more, plus it had brand new tires (that they installed the day before) and a fresh valve cover gasket, plus a list of other recent service. I couldn't resist and drove it home that night.

This Cruze was built in the sixth week of Autumn Metallic production and actually in "autumn" as well. To add to the excitement, despite it being one owner, it was sold new at Spitzer in Lordstown, which is pretty cool that it was sold at the hometown dealer to the plant. This one is exactly like my old one options wise, except this also has the optional Pioneer stereo and the Chevy all weather floor mats. So far, I don't mind either of those.

So here we are- I still have the MKZ and will continue to. With AWD and snow tires, it serves a winter purpose better than the Cruze ever can. So the Cruze will be a fun grocery getter when it's not sloppy/snowy out and in the summer. I'll work on building the Cruze back up somewhat like I had the other one, except no downpipe/mid-pipe this time.

Looking forward to many miles of fun ahead. I know these cars do have quirks as they've aged, but in the end, I think they're worth it.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Sky
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,249 Posts
I had a similar situation with my old 12 LTZ. Hour long commute and tired of the car plus I was loosing faith in the car at 190k. Traded in on an Audi A7 and absolutely was bitten with the blind 4 ring fever. Trying to be Audi for life at this point. But when it was time to replace our daughters car I immediately started showing her the Cruze from remembering when it was usually trouble free.

Love the LTZ/RS package

· Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Maybe I need to take some time off Cruzes, for a while It seems every time I get about 80K - 90K I end up wrecking, ergo I ran #7, Limited LT into a guard rail after overshooting a highway onramp but that one made it 105Kso I was just waiting for something to happen and it did! Stopped taking the mis prescribed BP medicine that had bad side effects and no more problems with feeling overly tired or to black out which the internet says to tell Dr if you have these problems. Dr said the blacking out is OK but my BP is normal again? Layoff the driving so my son takes me to work at Meijer and wife picks me up when done. But not easy to do things on my own anymore like going to work out or get haircuts etc. since son delivers door dash most the day and he is my primary trans. since wife does nails all day. So I get to watch lots of MASH /Matlock/Gameshows and Medicare commercials. Welcome back and nice car man!!!!

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
Hey All,

Long time no (Cruze) talk!

As some of you may remember, against my better judgement, I sold my 2012 LTZ back in the summer of 2017. We had 62k great miles together, but I had grown tired of the car and issues associated with the mods I did. I had about an hour one way commute at that time, plus a lot of other driving meant a lot of seat time. I was ready for something different and I had an opportunity to get into a different (some may argue nicer) car, a 2014 Lincoln MKZ. Well about three weeks after selling the Cruze and getting the MKZ, I abruptly left the job that gave me that horrible commute, thus solving that problem in a different way than planned.

The MKZ has been good to me, but I never had anywhere near the connection to it that I did to the Cruze. The Cruze I found fun to drive, easy to park, easy to fit in my garage, and surprisingly spacious inside. Plus, I love to hypermile (in a mild form) when given the opportunity, and the Cruze always delivered results. No matter what I did, the MKZ has been a fuel hog that does not deliver any sort of better results to reward my efforts. Above all, this has been the best car community I've ever been a part of with so many good memories. I remember even saying that at the time, this is a unique group of people we had gathered at Lordstown and we'll probably never experience anything like this again.

About two years ago, I stumbled across a 2012 LTZ RS at my local Chevy dealer, advertised on Facebook Marketplace, in the same Autumn Metallic as my old one. It had the black interior, but that still didn't keep me from test driving it. Immediately I remembered how much I enjoyed driving the car and how much I missed it, but the black interior with the mesh dash just didn't do it for me. I needed my Cocoa/Light Neutral again.

I reached out to the people who bought my old Cruze, to see if they were interested in selling. They never responded. I haven't written it off but I also wondered about finding another example of this rare combination. So I set up an Autotrader alert for this color combo. I hardly heard from Autotrader until recently, when a handful of examples have come up within about 500 miles of me. I was tempted to go check out a couple of them but with them between 5 and 8 hours from home, that's not an easy day trip. Unfortunately the current (stupid) car market requires moving pretty fast, too.

Fast forward to a couple Wednesdays ago, Autotrader alerted me to a 2012 LTZ RS in Autumn/Cocoa about an hour away from me. I immediately contacted the dealer and made plans to go see it the next day. It only had one prior owner and was SUPER clean, aside from car wash scratches. 119k miles but looked like 20k. When I arrived, the car was every bit as they described and more, plus it had brand new tires (that they installed the day before) and a fresh valve cover gasket, plus a list of other recent service. I couldn't resist and drove it home that night.

This Cruze was built in the sixth week of Autumn Metallic production and actually in "autumn" as well. To add to the excitement, despite it being one owner, it was sold new at Spitzer in Lordstown, which is pretty cool that it was sold at the hometown dealer to the plant. This one is exactly like my old one options wise, except this also has the optional Pioneer stereo and the Chevy all weather floor mats. So far, I don't mind either of those.

So here we are- I still have the MKZ and will continue to. With AWD and snow tires, it serves a winter purpose better than the Cruze ever can. So the Cruze will be a fun grocery getter when it's not sloppy/snowy out and in the summer. I'll work on building the Cruze back up somewhat like I had the other one, except no downpipe/mid-pipe this time.

Looking forward to many miles of fun ahead. I know these cars do have quirks as they've aged, but in the end, I think they're worth it. View attachment 300357

View attachment 300358
View attachment 300359
Welcome Back!

I was just reading through some of your old posts wondering what the heck happened to you. Glad to have you back! I'm lookin forward to more good content from you!

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar situation with my old 12 LTZ. Hour long commute and tired of the car plus I was loosing faith in the car at 190k. Traded in on an Audi A7 and absolutely was bitten with the blind 4 ring fever. Trying to be Audi for life at this point. But when it was time to replace our daughters car I immediately started showing her the Cruze from remembering when it was usually trouble free.

Love the LTZ/RS package
I totally get the four ring fever. My mom bought a Q7 last March and while she has come to not like it at all, I've been bitten.

I debated replacing my MKZ with an A4 in a couple years, which would help me achieve my fuel economy goals. I love the look of the A3 but it's just way too small for me inside, just like the D2 Cruze and Volt.
The problem is, even a few year old A4 with decent mileage is still like $40k or more, which seems dumb to me and I'm not willing to be into a used car that deep.
This way, hopefully I can keep the MKZ for a few more years and share mileage with the Cruze. I'll probably still get my A4 eventually but hopefully prices will be better by then.

Reactions: Valpo Cruze

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I need to take some time off Cruzes, for a while It seems every time I get about 80K - 90K I end up wrecking, ergo I ran #7, Limited LT into a guard rail after overshooting a highway onramp but that one made it 105Kso I was just waiting for something to happen and it did! Stopped taking the mis prescribed BP medicine that had bad side effects and no more problems with feeling overly tired or to black out which the internet says to tell Dr if you have these problems. Dr said the blacking out is OK but my BP is normal again? Layoff the driving so my son takes me to work at Meijer and wife picks me up when done. But not easy to do things on my own anymore like going to work out or get haircuts etc. since son delivers door dash most the day and he is my primary trans. since wife does nails all day. So I get to watch lots of MASH /Matlock/Gameshows and Medicare commercials. Welcome back and nice car man!!!!
Thanks Patrick! Sorry to hear you've had a hard time at things, but it sounds like you've made a smart decision to be driven around.

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Back!

I was just reading through some of your old posts wondering what the heck happened to you. Glad to have you back! I'm lookin forward to more good content from you!
Thanks! I probably won't be back on here as much as I used to, but I'm definitely feeling the same connection to the car like I did my old one.

Reactions: Blasirl
1 - 11 of 11 Posts