Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 1LT 6SPEED 1.4T Cruze and I am getting about 37MPG is this a pretty good average given it is not a ECO model? Would like to see feedback and what other people with similar models are averaging.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
pump calculated or drivers information center MPG? also is that a 6speed auto or manual? My car is a 2012 1LT auto, Typically in 30-50% city I average 33mpg, the more highway the better I get. 33MPG pump calculated is like 36-37mpg on the DIC.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Seeing how it's 1 mpg under the EPA's 38 mpg highway rating and 7 mpg above the 30 mpg combined figure, I'd say that's doing quite well.

Also, every single 2014 Cruze has a 6-speed transmission. Is yours automatic or manual?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
That's quite good. I drive a majority of city and my current lifetime average, starting Dec '13, is 36.4 in my 6MT Eco... so you're actually beating me. Now that it's getting warmer my last 10 tanks have averaged at 37.4 and I expect to end up balancing out at 38-40 lifetime average with spring/summer/fall temps included. You'll notice your average climb too with the warmer weather.

Definitely setup a Fuelly account and add the banner to your sig, all the cool kids are doin it these days :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im struggling to get 25mpg with my auto 1lt...I need to re-gap back down to .028. My round trip to work is only 13 miles though so I don't have a ton of long distance highway

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Im struggling to get 25mpg with my auto 1lt...I need to re-gap back down to .028. My round trip to work is only 13 miles though so I don't have a ton of long distance highway
You will probably get better once it warms up more, probably 3-5mpg at best. With such a short trip thats probably 100% city based on your average speed, the 1LT auto is only rated at 26mpg city.

Only thing you can really do is try to eliminate hills, stops, & lights on your route. Also pick roads with good traffic flow and speeds in the 35-55mph range. The auto really burns the gas in the 0-35mph range in stop and go traffic, from my testing its more like 20 mpg city then.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
My round trip to work is only 13 miles though so I don't have a ton of long distance highway
Yeah on a 7 mile one way trip the car barely has a chance to reach operating temp and the warmup cycle dumps fuel into the motor. Now coming into spring and summer, warmup time will be slashed and your mpg should bump up considerably.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah we keep getting teased with warm"er" weather and I notice better fuel economy. I also only have 2,300 miles on it so its still breaking in. It seems I noticed a slight decrease in mpg gapping to .035 and a slight loss of power. When I did it I didn't realize GM now says to do .028

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Sorry for delayed response, mine is a 6 speed manual and I do mostly city driving average speed is around 30mph
Pretty similar driving to me as my avg speed is typically 28-30mph. I'm still trying to master the art of coasting and planning out light cycles so I preserve every last drop of momentum that I can.

City driving will close some of the gap with ECO MTs... you don't have the weight reduction stuff, but the aero mods and really tall 6th gear of the ECO lose some of their magic in city driving.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I shaved 100lb off my 1LT cruze, my city MPG seems much better now. The car feels so much lighter in corners with much less body roll than before. City acceleration seems easier and the same 6 second blast of gas seems to get me a few more MPH than before.

No I did not push my girlfriend out, to reduce weight, LOL. I sold/traded my trunk for the ECO trunk liner and inflator kit, I also just recently finished taking out my entire back seat and replacing with black carpet. Spare and jack were around 50lbs, rear seat was 53lb.

The rear seat bottom is 10lb, small section 13lb, large second 30lb. Shocking how heavy that seat was!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just didn't know if getting about 37 with a 1.4T manual non Eco 1LT was. Very good because most my driving is around the 30mph I might drive 10 miles at 55 compared to my 40mi commute

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'd say that's pretty good. That is all the better we get on the highway with our 1LT/Auto.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could that be because of coasting and pedal power? I went from a 96 s10 5speed to this and coasting has always been something do and you coast in gear so letting off the gas in the auto should preform the same i feel. I would see myself getting even better but the 10 or so minutes i spend going highway speeds are up and down hills which kill the mpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
your doning good we get 26 to 27 on our ltz rs 1.4t auto.we avg 34 mph and she drives about 8 miles one way to work. plus we have 2500 miles on it now so it may get better as miles increase. i did gap the plugs to 35 but now i see some are going back a bit on that. had one dealer oil change done and i did one when it had 500 miles on it. the dealer said not to but the group said it was better to just do it. anyway, the cruze is doing much better than the hyundai hybrid we had just before we got the cruze. with a car said to get 40 hyway we barly could get 25 mpg and that was in the fall with 70 deg temps. this car did better. hope it improves now that the temps are going up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think for the most part people just get on the gas too much. I'm 18 and contrary to most believe I don't have to try to race off at every stop sign and stop light and I love cruising at the speed limit and enjoy the drive. But it is fun to fly off past other cars but i've only done it a few times.

·
Administrator
25,493 Posts
For city driving that's excellent, regardless of your Cruze trim.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was averaging 32.5 for the first 50k. Lately I have been running super unleaded and enjoying how much fun this car can be.. so 28-29 now.
The hot weather (I am near Houston, it has been 98 lately) really effects the MPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts