Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks in the past month. First for a slipping transmission and having the 2/6 clutch replaced, then the water pump failed, "cross hose connector" failed, and some random other things that needed replacing when the water pump failed, so needless to say going out to my car this morning and seeing the CEL on is not a pleasant surprise. Why is it that I have a 2006 Honda with 135,000 that hasn't had a CEL light on since I bought it 3 years ago, but I can't own a Chevy for more than 6 months without it being in the shop for weeks at a time?

10728977_10202821187666466_510140420_n.jpg

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks in the past month. First for a slipping transmission and having the 2/6 clutch replaced, then the water pump failed, "cross hose connector" failed, and some random other things that needed replacing when the water pump failed, so needless to say going out to my car this morning and seeing the CEL on is not a pleasant surprise. Why is it that I have a 2006 Honda with 135,000 that hasn't had a CEL light on since I bought it 3 years ago, but I can't own a Chevy for more than 6 months without it being in the shop for weeks at a time?

View attachment 116089
From your signature it appears you have a 2011 Cruze. The transmissions were known to be issues there, mainly do to the programming, but you're not the first we've seen with the internal clutch plates fail. For your water pump it sounds to me like it was replaced previously and not installed properly, causing other problems with the car. I'm assuming you purchased your car used - send the VIN to our Chevy Customer Care folks and ask if they'll pull the service records for the car. Not everything will show but any prior warranty work will.

Let us know what the new CEL means - while obviously a problem with the car it may or may not be caused by the car itself. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or animal related damage that you're unaware of.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From your signature it appears you have a 2011 Cruze. The transmissions were known to be issues there, mainly do to the programming, but you're not the first we've seen with the internal clutch plates fail. For your water pump it sounds to me like it was replaced previously and not installed properly, causing other problems with the car. I'm assuming you purchased your car used - send the VIN to our Chevy Customer Care folks and ask if they'll pull the service records for the car. Not everything will show but any prior warranty work will.

Let us know what the new CEL means - while obviously a problem with the car it may or may not be caused by the car itself. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or animal related damage that you're unaware of.
When I start trouble shooting, unknown animal related damage is the first place I start.
:sarcasm:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

About a month into my ownership I filled up and apparently hadn't tightened the gas cap enough and it set off the CEL. Never had I had CEL for a loose gas cap on the 6-7 cars that I've owned in my lifetime. I'm going to hit autozone and see if they can run the codes and clear it if it is indeed another "fuel vacuum pressure loss" code or whatever it was. I'm close to calling the financing company and telling them to come and pick it up and do what they want with it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My autozone and other car parts stores refuse to clear codes, they claim they can't due to liability issues. Heck they used to just give me the tool and I'd do it myself, but lately they insist on hooking it up themselves.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My autozone and other car parts stores refuse to clear codes, they claim they can't due to liability issues. Heck they used to just give me the tool and I'd do it myself, but lately they insist on hooking it up themselves.
well I dropped it off at the dealership after work and the service advisor said that it is a code that reads bank 1 lien permanent and he said that it is probably the intake manifold gasket. Lovely!!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
well I dropped it off at the dealership after work and the service advisor said that it is a code that reads bank 1 lien permanent and he said that it is probably the intake manifold gasket. Lovely!!
Hey there,

Very sorry for this! We would be happy to assist in anyways possible. Please feel free to send me a private message with your information and we can certainly look into this further.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the word today. The cam cover and the PCV valve needs replacing. "No parts available" and will be there until the end of next week. I love being able to enjoy my car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Want to be drinking buddies?

My next tactic is to ask my advisor how much money it is costing them to do all this warranty work and if it's worth it to them. I wish you luck.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Got the word today. The cam cover and the PCV valve needs replacing. "No parts available" and will be there until the end of next week. I love being able to enjoy my car.
The no parts available doesn't compute. This is a fairly common replacement so the parts should be readily available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The no parts available doesn't compute. This is a fairly common replacement so the parts should be readily available.
I wish that were the case. He said "no parts available in the region" and they were 2-5 days out on backorder.

Every time I have an issue with my car it's "common".. Is that par for the course? The whole car failing being "common"? That is completely unacceptable in a car that I trust my wife and children in.

I went by a Honda dealership today after getting my 2015 Malibu loaner car and they wouldn't touch the Cruze because of their terrible depreciation. (Bought my car in April for 12k and now it isn't worth but 7k). I think I may stick with imports from here on out. It's a shame because I really enjoy the looks of the current domestic cars.

·
10,713 Posts
I know your pain. It's just my luck I end up with problem cars. I got my car because it wasn't 1st year production. As for imports let me tell you what I got.

2003 Mazda 6i
900 a/c pully
10,000 engine replacement from oil starvation. (Oil pan full minus the oil that shout out the lock with The piston)
25,330 car sold in fear the trans was next

2005 Subaru Legacy GT(avatar)
Purchased 35k

38k Vacuum lines
44k Vacuum lines
50k o2 sensors
60k VF 40 replaces with VF 46
70k Radiator
82k EJ257(STi) short block for ring land and bearings failure.

It's funny that those parts were on backorder when I broke down in Pennsylvania in a town of like 600 people and they got a coil pack and brake booster pump for me same day.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Every time I have an issue with my car it's "common".. Is that par for the course? The whole car failing being "common"? That is completely unacceptable in a car that I trust my wife and children in.
Not sure I would exaggerate saying the whole car falling apart when you have had three issues. The water pump & valve cover both have been redesigned so the replacements should last longer. None of the issues you mention would put your family at risk of injury so no need to be so dramatic.

I went by a Honda dealership today after getting my 2015 Malibu loaner car and they wouldn't touch the Cruze because of their terrible depreciation. (Bought my car in April for 12k and now it isn't worth but 7k).
As for value your car is probably worth more bluebook that 7K, but that's all they will give you so they can still make a profit. Most dealers will never offer you anywhere near bluebook unless they know they can make a quick sale. It also probably doesn't work in your favor if your looking at trading a car & your driving a loaner because the car is in for repairs. If I was a car salesman I would avoid trade I could not see/drive or is being repaired by another dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
What is the ownership history of your car?

As my mother would say, people don't get rid of a good car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
When I read about cam cover problems, dug out my torque wrench, all 18 screws were loose. No wonder why that gasket can blow out.

PVC valve is nothing but a check valve, blow into it, should blow easily in one direction, completely block in the other. Carries a lot of crap from the crankcase and puts all this crap back into the combustion chambers that actually creates more carbon deposit problems. Rarely ever replace one, just blast it out with choke and carb cleaner. When asked why I do this, just reply, I don't toss out my dirty dishes either, wash them, and a lot cheaper than a PVC valve.

Strong believer in Seafoam that cleans out the carbon build up on piston rings, stuff really works. A chain reaction means, carbon on the rings, more blowby, more crap gets back into the engine. This is all basic stuff. Been like this for the last hundred or so years. But sure beats the old breather tube that sucks up road dust when you take your foot off the gas. When overhauling an engine, needed a shovel to clean out all that sludge. And a large shovel at that.

Major killers of an AT is temperature and low level fluid, need that hydraulic pressure for lubrication, temperature burns fluid and produces fluid blocking carbon. Really feel on much thought was given to dumping that dipstick. My solution was simple, buy a MT. But this created additional problems with an Eco, could only get a spare tire with an AT, so had to jump up to a 2LT.

Whoever came up with a spray can is smoking crack. What an AT really needs is an auxiliary cooler. Use to add these to AT vehicles, go into the radiator first like stock, outlet to the cooler, then back to the AT. And use mostly steel lines. Forget about rubber, heat dries them out, crack and break, then really more problems.

Screw some of these other cosmetic mods so predominate on this board, some mods are really required if you want to use your Cruze for its intended purpose, like transportation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Not sure I would exaggerate saying the whole car falling apart when you have had three issues. The water pump & valve cover both have been redesigned so the replacements should last longer. None of the issues you mention would put your family at risk of injury so no need to be so dramatic.

As for value your car is probably worth more bluebook that 7K, but that's all they will give you so they can still make a profit. Most dealers will never offer you anywhere near bluebook unless they know they can make a quick sale. It also probably doesn't work in your favor if your looking at trading a car & your driving a loaner because the car is in for repairs. If I was a car salesman I would avoid trade I could not see/drive or is being repaired by another dealer.
I wasn't saying that my whole car was falling apart. No where did I say that it was.. I was implying that it seems that every issue that can and will happen to the car will be "common" to the point of it falling apart and it being "common". This seems to be the running theme with GM vehicles according to the millions and millions of recalls that have been ordered just within the year. Also if anything risks my car not running properly and leaving my family stranded on the side of the road, it's dangerous. I don't think I'm being dramatic at all.

I'm fully aware what the difference in clean retail value and clean trade-in value is. Also the car being in the shop wasn't even mentioned, I walked in and stated that I had a 2011 Cruze that I would like to talk about trading in and he punched in the information and said "Sorry, I can't do anything for you." Because I'd be rolling in $9k of negative equity.

I know your pain. It's just my luck I end up with problem cars. I got my car because it wasn't 1st year production. As for imports let me tell you what I got. .......................
I wish I could say that was my case, but looking through my records here is the run down of mine:

1989 Ford Festiva (got with 75k) replaced alternator at 187k crashed it at 189k miles
1990 Chevy Beretta Base (got with 101k) Replaced exhaust at 105k due to clogged catalytic converter, replaced rear driver's brake line due to it being pinched when the brakes were changed
1995 Chevy Beretta Z26 (got with 79k) swerved into curb, replaced passenger front rim, tire, a-frame at 81k, replaced engine harness at 126k, replaced headliner at 146k
1989 Honda CRX (junk car, got with 202k) nil
2002 Pontiac Sunfire (purchased new) replaced fuel pump at 102k, heads/timing chain at 149k
2005 Chrysler Sebring (got with 74k) replaced fuel pump at 75k, replaced tie-rod ends at 135k
2011 Chevy Cruze (got with 72k) replaced 2/6 gear transmission clutch at 84k, replaced water pump at 85k, replaced valve cover, pcv valve at 86k

Hmmmmmm....

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Also if anything risks my car not running properly and leaving my family stranded on the side of the road, it's dangerous. I don't think I'm being dramatic at all.
This is exactly how I think. And the reason why I only buy new, with GMPP warranty and paid up OnStar. I know it costs me. But my family is worth it.

I see see you've taken a different approach.

1989 Ford Festiva (got with 75k) replaced alternator at 187k crashed it at 189k miles
1990 Chevy Beretta Base (got with 101k) Replaced exhaust at 105k due to clogged catalytic converter, replaced rear driver's brake line due to it being pinched when the brakes were changed
1995 Chevy Beretta Z26 (got with 79k) swerved into curb, replaced passenger front rim, tire, a-frame at 81k, replaced engine harness at 126k, replaced headliner at 146k
1989 Honda CRX (junk car, got with 202k) nil
2002 Pontiac Sunfire (purchased new) replaced fuel pump at 102k, heads/timing chain at 149k
2005 Chrysler Sebring (got with 74k) replaced fuel pump at 75k, replaced tie-rod ends at 135k
2011 Chevy Cruze (got with 72k) replaced 2/6 gear transmission clutch at 84k, replaced water pump at 85k, replaced valve cover, pcv valve at 86k

Hmmmmmm....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This is exactly how I think. And the reason why I only buy new, with GMPP warranty and paid up OnStar. I know it costs me. But my family is worth it.

I see see you've taken a different approach.
I buy what I can afford. I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey that my wife drives (which hasn't had to have anything more than the oil/brakes/tires changed). I have the peace of mind that she is driving a Honda, and we have roadside assistance through our insurance company. I drive the Cruze, well..I don't drive the Cruze. I drive whatever loaner car the dealership that is fixing my car provides me for the past month and a half.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I buy what I can afford.
Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey that my wife drives (which hasn't had to have anything more than the oil/brakes/tires changed). I have the peace of mind that she is driving a Honda, and we have roadside assistance through our insurance company. I drive the Cruze, well..I don't drive the Cruze. I drive whatever loaner car the dealership that is fixing my car provides me for the past month and a half.
Glad your Odyssey is working for your wife.

My neighbour had a 2007 Odyssey owned since new that had repeated problems with the sliding doors. It was lovely to drive and ride in but it spent more time than a Honda is supposed to at the dealership. And the repairs were consistently astronomical in cost. It was written off in an unfortunate low speed collision with a parked car. He chose to replace it with a Flex.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts