Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Cruzetalk community. I have recently financed a "brand new" 2016 Chevy Cruze Limited (it had about 2600 miles on it). It is the model without cruise control, so it is probably the lowest level of Chevy Cruze you can purchase, but it has automatic locks and automatic windows. I have recently calculated the gas mileage I am getting, and the 3 different readings I have got are (3 different trips): 1) 19 mpg 2) 22mpg and 3) 20 mpg. These readings are the total trip gas mileage i.e. 270 mile trip divided by 13.5 gallons = 20 mpg which was one of the calculations, which is terrible mileage. This car is listed as 38 mpg in the highway and 26 mpg in the city. I have aired up my tires to spec. I am getting really worried this car might be a lemon. What should I do since I am obviously getting horrible mileage on this 4 cylinder car?

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
I don't think a Car qualifies as a traditional "Lemon" getting bad gas mileage. Where you posting in from, is it hot? My outside temp gage said 125 F today although it did drop to 122. I've seen the 38 and I've seen the 20 mpg. This time of year usually yields bad gas mileage for many of us. Welcome though...

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
What kind of "city" driving are you doing? This is the EPA's idea of "city":

It doesn't look a thing like my "city", which is more like 25-30MPH with having to stop for a stop light every couple of blocks. On a good day, I'll get 20 MPG doing that. My average speed is low teens at best. Not the nearly 20 MPH shown above.

Get it out on highway and it's fine.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I'm not sure your car is rated to get 38MPG hwy or 26MPG city, being a model without cruise control indicates you have an LS with the 1.8L, not the much more efficient 1.4T found in all other models. The 1.8L automatic is the Worst MPG cruze made, rated at 22MPG city and 35MPG highway. Those numbers are not set in stone either, doing allot of idling, using the AC will bring those numbers down even further. Here is a MPG comparison between those 2 engines.

I would recommend resetting one of your trip computers and seeing what your average speed is, anything below 40mph is a mostly city route. I drive 80% or more highway and my average is typically only just over 40MPH.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
IMy outside temp gage said 125 F today although it did drop to 122. I've seen the 38 and I've seen the 20 mpg. This time of year usually yields bad gas mileage for many of us. Welcome though...
Being from Wisconsin I would have said my winter MPG is the worst, however I agree when the temperatures is above 90F and I'm constantly using the AC and remote start I see a 4-6MPG drop from my typical summer time average when I'm not using the AC. These cars get great MPG on the highway if you keep it under 70mph, in the city not so great.

Even the EPA MPG numbers show you this, the 1.4T auto gets 38hwy/26city, a 12MPG variable, or a 1.8L auto at 22city/35hwy for a 13MPG variable. Most should fall somewhere in the middle of those numbers(EPA combined average reflects this), but average speed is about the only way to attempt to figure out where you could fall in that range.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
As Chevy Guy mentioned, city driving "kills MPG". I have an Eco and it is rated at 28 and 42. I live in Cincinnati which is all hills along with the stop and go so for me to get 28 MPG in pure city driving is about impossible. I am typically in the mid 20s. Hate to say that is normal for a car unless you are in a hybrid. If I put my car on the open road it is fine. Those EPA ratings are devised by putting a car on an open test track with no hills or traffic. That is why they say "YYMV" Your mileage may vary. Depends on where you are and how you drive.

Don't worry you sound OK.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with everyone else that you have an LS model with the 1.8. Your numbers sound about right. All you have to figure is that little engine struggles to move around 3 thousand pounds +. The car should continue to break in and get a little better MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think a Car qualifies as a traditional "Lemon" getting bad gas mileage. Where you posting in from, is it hot? My outside temp gage said 125 F today although it did drop to 122. I've seen the 38 and I've seen the 20 mpg. This time of year usually yields bad gas mileage for many of us. Welcome though...
Yes it is hot where I am at, which is Corpus Christi, Tx. It gets in the 100's.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Most new drive-trains need something like 6,000 miles to get "broken in". My car didn't start getting consistent, good mileage until after the first oil change at 6,500 miles. Also, your driving habits/technique can have a "YUGE" impact on mileage. I can easily get 3 - 5 more MPG than my wife over the same route. I coast more and accelerate slower than her.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I can easily get 3 - 5 more MPG than my wife over the same route. I coast more and accelerate slower than her.
I'm the same, I get better MPG on the same routes as my girlfriend. Funny part? I do coast more like you but also don't use as light of foot as her under acceleration. Watching the RPM when she drives I don't think the engine ever even hits 2500RPM and it takes an eternity to get up to highway speed. I take 1-3 gears to 2500-3500RPM and once moving along good shift 4-6 gears at 2500RPM or less. No need to use manual mode to accomplish this either, GM's programming matches my technique with anything more that light throttle but less than full throttle.

I believe the reason GM programmed the car this way is to better utilize the torque multiplication of the lower gears, it certainly gets you up to speed quicker which puts you at low RPM and high MPG for more of the drive. The way I see it the gas my girlfriend burns accelerating in 4-6th gear would better be used in gears that are actually putting power down.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
You should look into getting an aftermarket cruise control system for your car if you're doing a fair amount of highway driving. If not, then you can probably live without that feature. I use cruise control as often as I can ... even in speed zones as low as 35 mph!

·
Registered
40 Posts
People with the 1.8L tend to have really heavy right foots and attempt to keep up with all the big v6 and v8s out there. To get good gas mileage you have to have steady cruising, not changing the throttle pedal much which will make you slower up hill and faster down it, plus speeds above 55 on the 1.8 kills MPG

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm the same, I get better MPG on the same routes as my girlfriend. Funny part? I do coast more like you but also don't use as light of foot as her under acceleration. Watching the RPM when she drives I don't think the engine ever even hits 2500RPM and it takes an eternity to get up to highway speed. I take 1-3 gears to 2500-3500RPM and once moving along good shift 4-6 gears at 2500RPM or less. No need to use manual mode to accomplish this either, GM's programming matches my technique with anything more that light throttle but less than full throttle.

I believe the reason GM programmed the car this way is to better utilize the torque multiplication of the lower gears, it certainly gets you up to speed quicker which puts you at low RPM and high MPG for more of the drive. The way I see it the gas my girlfriend burns accelerating in 4-6th gear would better be used in gears that are actually putting power down.

I have a manual & routinely get close to 40 mpg or above on fill-ups (DIC indicates 42-43 for a tank with 40 calculated on pump gallons). I am fairly slow to accelerate too, but do something similar with the manual. When the revs hit 2000 or so, I press deeper to utilize the torque capacity. Then when I shift and the revs fall below 2000, only light throttle. Makes the acceleration inconsistent which can annoy people behind me (like the girl engineer who, when asked if she liked the CVT in her Nissan, replied, "What?") but it does seem to help mpg. In short: When the engine is at higher RPM, use it. When the engine is at lower RPM, don't push it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts