Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I'm selling my favorite car, a 2009 Jetta TDI, back to VW this week. My daily commute is over 50 miles, so I've been looking for a replacement and watching the 2nd gen Cruze diesel slowly crawl to market. I've been tempted to pick up an older VW TDI and the Malibu Hybrid had my attention for a while, but with the news that the manual transmission diesel will go 700 miles on a tank, I'm in. Now if Chevy could just get a few more of them on dealer lots, that would be great.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Welcome!

I purchased a 2015 Cruze Diesel about a year ago as a CPO with only 4,100 miles on it and am very happy with it compared to my 2006 VW Jetta TDI. The Jetta had soooo many of the typical VW problems that it was very frustrating to own with the engine and mileage being the main redeeming qualities. The Cruze diesel gets as good or better mileage with better comfort up front and we are very happy with the car. I expect the 2nd gen Cruze Diesel to be even better!!! I hope you find one soon.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,908 Posts
@EricSmit has informed us that there are definitely quite a few at dealers, they're just not saying much about it yet.

Welcome, by the way!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
@EricSmit has informed us that there are definitely quite a few at dealers, they're just not saying much about it yet.

Welcome, by the way!
That's me!

OP, if you let me know roughly where you live (ZIP code would be terrific), I can tell you where the closest manual diesel is to you.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ That's pretty awesome of you Eric!!!

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome!

I purchased a 2015 Cruze Diesel about a year ago as a CPO with only 4,100 miles on it and am very happy with it compared to my 2006 VW Jetta TDI. The Jetta had soooo many of the typical VW problems that it was very frustrating to own with the engine and mileage being the main redeeming qualities. The Cruze diesel gets as good or better mileage with better comfort up front and we are very happy with the car. I expect the 2nd gen Cruze Diesel to be even better!!! I hope you find one soon.
This is encouraging. I love the mk5 body on the Jettas, but no doubt they are quirky cars. I saw it said once that they are as much hobby as they are transportation. Mine has been very reliable and enjoyable to drive, but the specter of a HPFP failure is always looming. Thanks for your input from the VW perspective.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's me!

OP, if you let me know roughly where you live (ZIP code would be terrific), I can tell you where the closest manual diesel is to you.
Thank you for your kind offer. I'm in the 41101 market. The nearest diesels I've located are in Paris KY at Dan Cummins. They have three and at least one is a manual. I'm busy this weekend, but if they are still in stock next weekend I may run over and check them out. I'd like to drive both transmissions before deciding that I'm buying the manual anyway. I swung by my local dealer at lunch and they said they didn't plan to order any for their lot, but they'd be happy to order/locate one for me (of course) if it's a done deal. They mentioned they'd stocked some Gen1 diesels that didn't sell too quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Dan Cummins is twice as far as the nearest, and they only have one; it's Kinetic Blue metallic with the leather package. There is one at Doug Chevrolet in Akron, OH that is half the distance away from you; it's graphite metallic with the leather package.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Akron is over 4 hours away from me. Paris Ky is about 2 hours. I don't want a blue one, but I'll swing by to drive it if I get the time. I may hassle some of my other local dealers to see if they're going to order one. Glockner is a pretty big operation, so they might order one in for a "likely" sale.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Campbell in Bowling Green has one coming, Bachman in Louisville has two coming; all three of those are automatics.

Dan Cummins has the three now, two auto and one manual, and five more automatics coming.

Jack Burford in Richmond has an automatic coming.

Rod Hatfield in Lexington has five automatics coming.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew something had to be off with the distances.

Gah. So many automatics. Thanks for looking those up.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Greetings.

I'm selling my favorite car, a 2009 Jetta TDI, back to VW this week. My daily commute is over 50 miles, so I've been looking for a replacement and watching the 2nd gen Cruze diesel slowly crawl to market. I've been tempted to pick up an older VW TDI and the Malibu Hybrid had my attention for a while, but with the news that the manual transmission diesel will go 700 miles on a tank, I'm in. Now if Chevy could just get a few more of them on dealer lots, that would be great.
Welcome! You are likely the first of many! Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
82 Posts
VW refugee... Haha I like that.

I bought a used 14 diesel and like most had some emission problems, hopefully gm has their act together this round.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This is encouraging. I love the mk5 body on the Jettas, but no doubt they are quirky cars. I saw it said once that they are as much hobby as they are transportation. Mine has been very reliable and enjoyable to drive, but the specter of a HPFP failure is always looming. Thanks for your input from the VW perspective.
Welcome, a fellow VW refugee here, had a 2012. When I found metallic in my fuel filter (early sign of HPFP failure) and VW said it was OK, then the emmisions cheat, I offloaded it for a 2015 Cruze Diesel. I've been so happy I found and bought a second 2015 CTD used. I would prefer a manual, but the auto in these cars is pretty good for an automatic and I've learned to appreciate it. It will be interesting to see how the new engine performs, it has lower power and torque, but the car is a bit lighter. The 2.0 has great performance, and MPG. Good luck hunting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts