Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, First of all, this was my fault, guy pulled out in front of me, wouldn't go the speed limit (10 in a 25), so when we got two lanes, I passed him, but when I came back into the lane, I hit his front left side of his truck.

But question, any opinions on how much it's going to cost to repair my baby. I'm worried the frame is bent, but it looked straight just looking at it. My concern is I owe way more than it's worth, I didn't put anything down 2 years ago on a 0% financed loan (6 years). So, I owe less than $14500. But of course, it's not worth that.

Also, I have no idea how it got up there, and I have no idea how it didn't fall back down. The list of outside damage is, pass rear quarter panel, front bumper, pass driver door and front quarter panel. Also, I bent the driver door on the bottom when forcing it open to get out.

cruze 2.jpg cruze.jpg cruze1.jpg cruze3.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
That is why we carry Insurance? The driver of that Car will most certainly put in a claim to your Insurance company and you should too. Plus he might sue you?

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is why we carry Insurance? The driver of that Car will most certainly put in a claim to your Insurance company and you should too. Plus he might sue you?
Considering you didn't have any airbags go off, it's probably not going to be totaled. Most of the damage looks cosmetic. Just curious, how did you get the car up on the wall like that?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that's why I have insurance. I didn't say anything about not putting a claim with insurance, and most certainly the other driver will. Not sure what he will sue me for, not for any damage to his car, as it just scratched his chrome bumper on his Frontier pickup. Nobody was injured, it was actually a low speed crash, We were both going under 25. We were at the exit of a parking lot.

I was just asking if there is any chance that it would be totaled. Thanks for the input, though

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering you didn't have any airbags go off, it's probably not going to be totaled. Most of the damage looks cosmetic. Just curious, how did you get the car up on the wall like that?
That's what I was thinking, but my wife has me concerned with the frame. And I know it's not worth much already. I have no idea. The police officer thinks I must have hit my accelerator instead of my brake pedal when I started to go left after hitting his front driver side. I still don't understand. Right to the right of the front pass tire, where the wood wall is, you could see where something drug and scraped it. That's obviously where it went up. I hope they didn't damage it anymore getting it down, there was no easy way to do that.

·
2,168 Posts
Bummer! I totally understand getting frustrated behind the wheel and making decisions that aren't the most logical. From the pictures, it doesn't look like you did any major damage. The really expensive stuff usually comes from damaging the crumple zones, setting off air bags, and damaging multiple body panels. I'm purely guessing but I'd say the estimates will likely be anywhere between $1,500 and $4,000 depending on the labor and amount of body panels. You'll want to get multiple estimates, one from a Chevy dealer and a few from other body shops in the area.

Since it was such a low speed incident the frame likely didn't suffer but this is all speculation based on your description of what happened and from the pictures. I'd bet money that it won't be totaled. You'll just have to go through the process of contacting the insurance company, getting estimates, and scheduling the repair then soon you'll be back on the road, more humble, and it will all be a thing of the past. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
You seemed most concerned with the financial aspect of this considering how much you owe. When you get surprised and hit by an auto you can twist or spin or bend and be injured. Speed has little to do with this, I was in a zero mph crash with a semi and almost crushed to death?

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
A couple of things:

1) We've all done things behind the wheel that we're not proud of.

2) Most people blame others for their poor decisions in life. You accepted and admitted responsibility. You should be congratulated for manning up like this. I am being serious.

3) Low speed collision = 90% sure you did not damage your unibody (frame).

4) I'm guessing $5,000 in combined damage.

5) I don't see grounds for a suit unless you were negligent or assaulted the other driver or your insurance doesn't pay.

6) Side blind-zone detection would have warned you of the impending collision. It's an option that cruzes can be equipped with from the factory for ~$500. It's saved me from similar accidents countless times. You may want to get it on your next car.

7) I always thought that you were of the female persuasion.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Based on the photos......it'll be a fixer.

I doubt if there is any structural (frame) damage.

Learn patience young grasshopper......I doubt if the other driver was intentionally being a snail......maybe lost.....it happens.

Good luck!

Rob

·
2,168 Posts
2) Most people blame others for their poor decisions in life. You accepted and admitted responsibility. You should be congratulated for manning up like this. I am being serious.
I couldn't agree more with this statement right here. Not enough people have humility and integrity to admit their mistakes. You're a better person than the majority of the population who tend to default to denial.

The guy who destroyed my Cobalt blamed just about everyone/everything other than himself. Even though he clearly ran a red light. He will not have learned anything from the incident, and he immediately lost my respect. (Not that he cared what I thought about him.)

If it makes you feel any better, the insurance company didn't total my Cobalt, I've attached a picture below of what it looked like after the red light runner drove across the intersection in front of me, tearing the whole front end apart. The entire engine crate had to be dropped so they could straighten it. It's what $8,400 in damage looks like.

Attachments

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Car looks level just jacked up on the right front. The way the right front is sitting looks like you may some wheel/break/suspension damage on the right front. I don't think you bent the frame from the looks of the picture.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Don't tell me about wondering about how you end up somewhere(look at my "rock incident". Definitely your car can be fixed. I would guess couple thousand $ but that is for the insurance company to decide not you. I really had to look for the damage except the front end.

Don't feel bad, I bought my wife a 2013 Accord and the first night I bought it I wasn't paying attention(looking for something( and hit a pole in a parking lot. Deployed the airbag, bent the hood and destroyed the front bumper cover. Insurance covered even though I had not told them I bought the car b4 I wrecked it. Just cost me deductible and higher insurance rates. Expect the same higher insurance rates but you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Appears to be minor damage, but we can't see the underside. Just get it looked at by a professional repair shop. It's a good reminder for all of us to be patient. Glad everyone is ok.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does the decklid open and close properly? Good gaps around the qtr panel and taillights? How about the hood and doors? Do they open and close easily without binding and have good gaps all around? That's the easiest way to spot structural damage. Not likely you did any structural damage at those speeds.

Around these parts the speed limit in a parking lot is 15 mph. And I have known people who've gotten tickets for it.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
All the visible damage in the photos looks cosmetic. But I'd sure get someone to check out that front right wheel and suspension since it could have taken a beating climbing up there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't try opening or closing anything except the front passenger door, but it did fine. It was towed to the shop, so I don't know yet. Thanks for the input guys and gals!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Pretty sad living during a time period where cars can look that new and have to be debated over whether they will be totaled or not. Do these things really depreciate that fast?? And when insurance companies do total a ar, what do they do with it? Do they seriously send it to a junk yard to be destroyed or just what? That's a waste of a car to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts