Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm looking to buy the Chevy Cruze ECO but I would love to put a set of wheels on it. I'm curious as to the estimated difference between the stock low resistance wheels/tires vs. putting a set of wheels like the sparco 18's I've seen posted.

If I want to change the wheels, does that defeat the purpose of going with the ECO trim? :confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
you will lose a few MPGs going with 18 s as would any car going from 16 or17 inch wheels to 18s.. just because of extra weight alone. So you may take a 3 or 4 MPG s hit (Just an estimate)... I don t know much about the ECO to say anything else. and WELCOME.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
you will lose a few MPGs going with 18 s as would any car going from 16 or17 inch wheels to 18s.. just because of extra weight alone. So you may take a 3 or 4 MPG s hit (Just an estimate)... I don t know much about the ECO to say anything else. and WELCOME.
It would be interesting to see...The ECO has the same 1.4T as others (except the LS/1.8NA). BUT, the ECO does have the undercarriage shielding and the active louvre/shutter in the front end, so I'd think, IMO, that you would lose a couple MPG's, but should get slightly better than other trim-lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Another member just posted this link:

Advanced Tire Saves Big Bucks for Chevy Cruze Drivers - Yahoo! Finance

Judging by the information in this article I will lose at least 3 mpg on the tire change, aside from the loss pertaining to the wheel weight.

I want the turbo engine in manual transmission and it seems this Eco trim is the only way to get it..

·
Registered
260 Posts
hey man i will buy your eco rims off of you if you are serious about getting it and replacing the rims, if you are interested you can pm and i will give you my email so we can keep in touch and figure out speciffics. i really want to get rid of my steelies with hubcaps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd guess maybe 5%. Figure 2 mpg on the highway. Maybe even less if you find a lightweight replacement wheel. The ECO wheels weigh 18 lbs. each.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd run these in a 19" in a heartbeat. Forged, too. Unfortunately, not available in our 105 bolt circle.

Center Line Wheels

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
In addition to better gas mileage, lighter wheels also provide better acceleration, better braking, better suspension performance and less drivetrain stress. Forged wheels also have a superior strength to weight ratio compared to cast wheels. If you're going to replace your Eco wheels make sure you're upgrading rather than downgrading...

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I have a set of these in 17" for my '01 Saturn:

Center Line Wheels

Even though the wheels are only 15lbs each the reduction in performance was noticeable. Stock was 15 x 6.5 with 195/60-15, the Storms are 17 x 7 with 225/45-17. The tire diameter increase was only 3%, but combined with the extra weight of the BFG G-Force KD's in that size it did make a noticeable difference, the car lost a bit of zip for sure.

As far as mileage goes, lighter wheels/tires will make a small difference in city driving but will not measurably affect highway mileage.

Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tread technologies are debatable right now; there is not yet a standard in place to accurately compare the rolling resistance of different tires. Michelin claims that all of thier regular passenger car tires are LRR designs, but that means almost nothing since it can't be verified. Their X-Ice Xi2 tires are claimed to be a LRR tire, but does that mean it has less rolling resistance than a non LRR all season tire? I doubt it!

I would like to assume that because GM is using this GY tire on the Eco and the Volt that it actually does offer a mileage increase. The critic in me will argue that GY has themselves so far up GM's arse that there was an "agreement" with the company regardless of whether that tire was the best for these applications.

Until a testing standard matures the consumer will have little to base their buying decisions on besides crafty marketing. It's hard to imagine GM not selecting a great LRR for the Volt, so I guess for now I'll have to assume that they offer some sort of mileage benefit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a set of these in 17" for my '01 Saturn:

Center Line Wheels

Even though the wheels are only 15lbs each the reduction in performance was noticeable. Stock was 15 x 6.5 with 195/60-15, the Storms are 17 x 7 with 225/45-17. The tire diameter increase was only 3%, but combined with the extra weight of the BFG G-Force KD's in that size it did make a noticeable difference, the car lost a bit of zip for sure.

As far as mileage goes, lighter wheels/tires will make a small difference in city driving but will not measurably affect highway mileage.

Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tread technologies are debatable right now; there is not yet a standard in place to accurately compare the rolling resistance of different tires. Michelin claims that all of thier regular passenger car tires are LRR designs, but that means almost nothing since it can't be verified. Their X-Ice Xi2 tires are claimed to be a LRR tire, but does that mean it has less rolling resistance than a non LRR all season tire? I doubt it!

I would like to assume that because GM is using this GY tire on the Eco and the Volt that it actually does offer a mileage increase. The critic in me will argue that GY has themselves so far up GM's arse that there was an "agreement" with the company regardless of whether that tire was the best for these applications.

Until a testing standard matures the consumer will have little to base their buying decisions on besides crafty marketing. It's hard to imagine GM not selecting a great LRR for the Volt, so I guess for now I'll have to assume that they offer some sort of mileage benefit.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
copied from tire rack

If the vehicle equipped with standard Original Equipment, low rolling resistance passenger tires normally provided 25 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway, installing tires with 20% greater rolling resistance would only drop fuel mileage by a calculated 3% (to 24.25 mpg) in the city and a calculated 5% (to 28.5 mpg) on the highway. While this is a measurable difference, it probably isn't much more of an influence on real world fuel economy than being stuck in rush hour traffic a couple of times a week or being stopped at every red light instead of continuing through a string of green lights

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...notice that Tire Rack statement said: "...by a calculated 3% (to 24.25 mpg) in the city and a calculated 5% (to 28.5 mpg) on the highway..."

...it's not a "...tested result..." that they can hang their hats on.

·
Supporting Vendor
615 Posts
From real world experiences, the drop is so minimal, just be changing your driving habits can make up the difference on the rolling resistance part, but when adding heavier wheels, it does take more power to turn and stop, it's just physics.

If your worried about wheel/tire packages and weight, you need to look at the total weight of the package, most people overlook the weight of the tire. Tire manufacturers use different compounds which change weight, steel/Kevlar/Nylon belts inside the tires change weight, and don't forget, making sure you take your tires and wheels to a reputable installer, some places are lazy and will not turn the tires if they are way out of balance, they just add more weights. I had a customer that had 12oz of weight on a 1 rear tire, that's 3/4 of a lb. I took it to my guy that turned the tire and it only needed 1oz.
Hope this helps the discussion.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just wait and order the LT1 or LT2 2012 model with the manual trans. If you are more into the turbo/trans combo then gas milage, that would be the best option.

The gear ratio on the new M/T for 2012 is shorter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The ECO wheels weigh 18 lbs. each.
Is there posted information with the stock wheel weights available? I was interested on how much weight difference there was between the stock wheels.

On my last car the steel wheels I always ran on the street were 22 lbs and 15". For autox and rallyx I swapped to the lightest stock wheel that was available and it was a 15 lb 15". Acceleration was much better with the lighter weight wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts