Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a recall for reprogramming the 1.4 cars now.One of the outlined fixes is for a hissing noise from ac after shut down. I also have seen a large influx of bad valve covers causing a chirp noise you would think was a belt noise at idle.It also is in the belt area and is caused by blow by pressure on the crank seal. This has been brought to GMs attention also by our dealer The noise is also loud and can almost sound like a spun bearing at times. hard to believe but true. i have fixed 10 over the last month with a new valve cover.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Interesting.....I believe a member was chasing this chirping sound just last week.

So, is seal replacement called for or is resolved with valve cover/pcv replacement?

Rob

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There has been no seal problem just the valve cover.I am assumeing the pcv becomes blocked.Also note the valve cover is made in POLAND.Why they meaning GM can not get this valve cover right is puzzleing to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gm master tech... At idle has always made this slight metallic scraping sound that lopes every so often is the best way to describe it. It isn't incredibly loud but if the radio is off it's definitely audible. What can this be?? It does this at least 80% of the time at idle before and after I tuned my car.. 2011 1.4t..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tech: I have a 2014 1.4L Turbo. Is there a particular year that this noise problem occurs or ALL 1.4L engines? After the car warms up I have a high pitch tone that's hardly noticeable until i have the hood open. Not too loud and hard to tell where it's coming from.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
That recall, if i have a Tune on my car, will they be able to notice it and if they reprogram, will it remove my Tune ?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tech: I have a 2014 1.4L Turbo. Is there a particular year that this noise problem occurs or ALL 1.4L engines? After the car warms up I have a high pitch tone that's hardly noticeable until i have the hood open. Not too loud and hard to tell where it's coming from.
When mine done that it was the water pump...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would really have to hear those noises to determine a cause from a key board if you hear me.And yes i had a 14 last week making the noise that needed a valve cover.And as far as being tuned and getting the recall flash???? I dont know if that will effect the tune.I do know part of the reflash is for code PO299.I am wondering if there trying to play games to get worn turbo pivot pins to stop setting the code.There are 2 changes in the programing for code (PO299) I am not doing the recall programing to my car before i talk to Vtuner about it.Not going to take any chances with GM screwing with my power output over a PO299.My engine makes real good power and its staying that way

·
Registered
77 Posts
just had my 2012 ecu reflashed last Thursday,so far it works smoothly,no hiccups,and under every condition engine is smooth even no problems when the a/c is on.
I use 87 octane and I even picked up a few more mpg's after the reflash.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I would really have to hear those noises to determine a cause from a key board if you hear me.And yes i had a 14 last week making the noise that needed a valve cover.And as far as being tuned and getting the recall flash???? I dont know if that will effect the tune.I do know part of the reflash is for code PO299.I am wondering if there trying to play games to get worn turbo pivot pins to stop setting the code.There are 2 changes in the programing for code (PO299) I am not doing the recall programing to my car before i talk to Vtuner about it.Not going to take any chances with GM screwing with my power output over a PO299.My engine makes real good power and its staying that way
Thats what i wanted to know, thx.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Seems like gm doesn't want to pay for new turbochargers anymore

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
With all the computerized complexity of cars these days are the cruzes turning into lemons? Or are all the recalls going to be considered the norm some day?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I think, due to increasing complexity and outsourcing, that recalls will become more common.

I do think a name change is in order though.....the term 'Recall' is IMO being overused and creates a loss of confidence in the product feeling. Save the term 'Recall' for safety specific concerns such as airbags throwing shards of metal at you or vacuum pump switches that can't be trusted to make the power brakes work.

This most recent reprogram has nothing to do with safety......it is a product update and should be termed as such....same thing for the recall involving checking and topping off coolant level after verifying there is no coolant leakage.
Not a recall, but a customer satisfaction inspection.

Applying the term 'Recall' to every service event makes each manufacturer look like they should confine their efforts to making bicycles or something.

My thoughts,
Rob

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More so what your seeing with GM now for recalls is (paranoid motors) With good reason there liable now for a number of wrongful deaths.And with very good reason.You would never see this amount of recalls if they did not get bagged.And now even some of the air bag recalls are not being done right techs are short cutting and not soldering in some cases.Not my bag but when you dont want to pay anyone right these things do go on.They should have a law suit against them for un fair labor practices

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think, due to increasing complexity and outsourcing, that recalls will become more common.

I do think a name change is in order though.....the term 'Recall' is IMO being overused and creates a loss of confidence in the product feeling. Save the term 'Recall' for safety specific concerns such as airbags throwing shards of metal at you or vacuum pump switches that can't be trusted to make the power brakes work.

This most recent reprogram has nothing to do with safety......it is a product update and should be termed as such....same thing for the recall involving checking and topping off coolant level after verifying there is no coolant leakage.

Applying the term 'Recall' to every service event makes each manufacturer look like they should confine their efforts to making bicycles or something.

My thoughts,
Rob
But...but Rob(in bold)you say it shouldn't be called a recall yet you call it a recall then say it isn't.
You sound like a politician. LOL

Anything envolving the manufacturer to repair, update, replace ect at no cost is indeed a recall. Recalls aren't just for safety yet this latest recall is related to "safety" I mean "environmental safety"

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Going further.....mind you I'm speaking more from a psycological standpoint, when the term 'Recall' is used, be it a ladder, a baby carriage, a youth bed, etcetera, it is interpeted as 'Continued use, without the recall being addressed, poses the potental of severe injury or death.'
This is a good motivator to have the issue addressed ASAP.
It also is percieved as a negative...and too many negatives make folks lose confidence in the product.

On the other side of the coin, the term 'Product Update' a most recent example being the ECM recall, which came about only because EPA testing revealed a failure to comply to the US06 standard, which is simply a excessive hydrocarbon reading at wide open throttle, is termed, per the owner letter, a 'IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL'.

In reading the entire body of the letter, and knowing the test in question, there is no element of 'safety' that I am able to apply to same.

However, Had the same letter been titled, 'Important Product Update' and the body of the letter contained the same information but with one inclusion, being, ' In our continueing efforts to be certain your automotive purchass continues to exceed your expectations, the following computer update will be performed at no charge to you.' YADA YADA YADA.

Using this approach tends to make the car owner more confident with the vehicle...one of those 'Hey! I think they give snit' type responses.......as opposed to 'What! Another Frickin Recall! Whata POS!

Thats all I was trying to get across......how a title can have such a different effect on perception.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,088 Posts

My thoughts,
Rob
But...but Rob(in bold)you say it shouldn't be called a recall yet you call it a recall then say it isn't.
You sound like a politician. LOL

Anything envolving the manufacturer to repair, update, replace ect at no cost is indeed a recall. Recalls aren't just for safety yet this latest recall is related to "safety" I mean "environmental safety"
The problem is that in the US recalls are 99% always for safety issues. Legally, GM cannot call the ECU modification anything other than a recall. Maybe it's time to petition Congress to direct the NHTSA to come up with a better set of terms for government mandated repairs.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The problem is that in the US recalls are 99% always for safety issues. Legally, GM cannot call the ECU modification anything other than a recall. Maybe it's time to petition Congress to direct the NHTSA to come up with a better set of terms for government mandated repairs.
I never did care for being "politically correct" PUKE...........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts