Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 2012 Chevy Cruz LTZ, purchased from a dealer in the Toronto area last year.

I plan on moving to the United States, and as such require that my Cruze be compliant for both USA emissions and safety regulations in order to fully register the vehicle in the USA.

Under the hood, there is a declaration that the Cruze is EPA compliant for emissions, but no such sticker exists for safety regulations from the NHTSA. Therefore, as per rules, I need a letter of compliance from the manufacturer that the vehicle complies with such safety and emission regulations.

I called GM Canada today, to inquire about the compliance letter, and was told that the 2012 Cruze that was originally sold in Canada are not compliant with NHTSA regulations and therefore GM cannot issue me a letter of compliance. I was very surprised at this - after all, the Cruze is manufactured in Ohio and by and large is a very popular car that should adhere to safety standards. When I asked what exact safety regulation does the 2012 Cruze not comply with, the man on the phone (who got rude at this point) said he doesn't know, just that what the GM engineers tell him. I figured, GM at the very least should tell me what exactly the Canadian 2012 Cruze does not comply with - if they don't know, how can I be so sure that in fact the Canadian Cruze isn't compliant?

I am at logjam here. I want to take it to the next step and press GM on what exactly is not compliant. I do not want this to potentially be a misunderstanding on some engineer or other employee's part. I know that the one major difference between CDN and US cars are the daytime running lights, but that shouldn't be a problem. Neither should the odometer, since that can be easily changed to Miles from KMs. I also read somewhere about Tire Pressure Monitoring System - my Cruze doesn't seem to have that feature - but can that be the case?

Anyone have any suggestions? Appreciate your help, thanks!

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Send your VIN to our Chevy Customer Care. They may be able to run down the differences for you. It's probably the headlights. The US is very finicky when it comes to head lights.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
One other question - are you a Canadian Citizen? If so, the laws may be different for you when it comes to registering a Canadian delivered car vs. if you are a US Citizen. I remember during the 70s my parents had to order my mom's car with US Specifications while we were in Germany. That way she could bring the car back to the US.

Also, I moved this thread to Ask GM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Obermed,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you have the contact for Chevy Customer Care? Is it based in the US or Canada?

Also, I will become a US permanent resident, so not exactly a citizen, but a resident nonetheless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies, I didn't answer your question entirely. Yes, I am a Canadian Citizen, and will become a US Permanent Resident.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Find a post by Chevy Customer Care, click their user name an select Private Message. They are based in Detroit but have global access as well as access to internal resources at GM. It's from those internal resources that they can hopefully get you an answer.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Question - does your car have daytime running lights, traction control, and stabilitrak? These are the three items I can think of that may be different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I messaged Chevy Customer Care.

Yes, it does have daytime running lights (like all Canadian vehicles), yes to traction control, and I am not sure about stabilitrack.

I am aware that the US accepts Canadian cars that have daytime running lights.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Question - does your car have daytime running lights, traction control, and stabilitrak? These are the three items I can think of that may be different.
Also the number of airbags. The translated write-up from Mexico indicated that that model only had 4 airbags.

Another possibility is the inside trunk release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about the number of airbags - I do know that the Cruze manual is the same for the USA and Canada, with some minor edits for Canada information (like regulatory bodies). I imagine it's the same number of airbags but I will check.

My car does have inside trunk release.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
About the only thing I can think of that might give you some challenges is the electrical connections. The plugs themselves will be the same but they may be in a different housing, just to prevent cross border part swapping.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Call this number:
9. General Motors (Saab, Saturn
and all GM products)
U.S. Customer Relations
Ontario, Canada
Canadian Residents Only
(905) 440-7697
(888) 467-6853

Importing Canadian Vehicles Canadian vehicles are certified to Canadian requirements and originally manufactured for sale in Canada, regardless of the country in which they were produced. While many are manufactured to be identical to U.S. certified vehicles with respect to emission requirements (especially beginning with the 1988 model year), they may be manufactured with or without a U.S. emissions compliance label identifying them as conforming to U.S. EPA requirements. Canadian vehicles imported into the U.S. are categorized as either identical to U.S. version vehicles or not identical to U.S. version vehicles with regard to emission requirements.
Importers need to verify whether the Canadian vehicle they are importing is identical to a U.S. certified version. For model year 2002 and beyond, the majority of Canadian vehicles are acceptable for importation into the U.S. without modification. There may be specific models that are Canadian-only packages that are not eligible for importation into the U.S. Any questions about Canadian-only models will be treated on a case-by-case basis. (Refer to options 2 and 3 below).
A Canadian vehicle is identical to a U.S. certified version if one of the following is true:
1. The Canadian vehicle is on the EPA list of vehicles considered to be identical to U.S. version vehicles. This list is only for 2001 and earlier model year Canadian motor vehicles. For 2002 and later model year Canadian motor vehicles, refer to option 3. Detailed information for each year follows:

2.The Canadian vehicle has an emission label stating it is certified to U.S. EPA Federal emission standards.

3.The manufacturer’s U.S. representative has provided a letter of compliance that states the vehicle complies with all U.S. EPA Federal regulations. Generally, EPA only accepts compliance information from the Original Equipment Manufacturer's (OEM) U.S. representative. However, as an exception to this rule, statements of conformity from the OEM Canadian representative will be acceptable to EPA as evidence of conformity. U.S. Customs and Boarder Protection (CBP) may request the importer to submit a letter of compliance from the manufacturer, even if the vehicle is determined by EPA to be identical to a U.S. certified version by one of the two options above. You will also needto contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for their import regulations.

If the Canadian vehicle is not identical to a U.S. certified version, please refer to section 2.1.2.2, "Canadian Vehicles Not Identical to U.S. Version Vehicles", and section 2.1.3, "Non-U.S. Version Vehicles", in the Procedures for Importing Vehicles and Engines manual

Importing Canadian Vehicles | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

(Please excuse our Government's spelling of Border above?)

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Importing Canadian Vehicles Canadian vehicles are certified to Canadian requirements and originally manufactured for sale in Canada, regardless of the country in which they were produced. While many are manufactured to be identical to U.S. certified vehicles with respect to emission requirements (especially beginning with the 1988 model year), they may be manufactured with or without a U.S. emissions compliance label identifying them as conforming to U.S. EPA requirements.
He has the emissions sticker. That's not the issue. It's NHTSA. Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements.

Looking at the Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian), it looks like he needs a letter:
The importer obtains a letter from the vehicle’s original manufacturer, on the manufacturer’s letterhead (and not that of a franchised dealer), identifying the vehicle by vehicle identification number (VIN) and stating that the vehicle conforms to all applicable FMVSS except for the labeling requirements of Standards Nos. 101 Controls and Displays and 110 Tire Selection and Rims or 120 Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles other than Passenger Cars, and/or the specifications of Standard No. 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment, relating to daytime running lamps.
There are more details in the links, but it starts to get ugly enough that one is better off selling and buying one over here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone,

Indeed I have read through all those links for a few days now, and called that GM number yesterday and spoke to the department that is supposed to issue these Compliance Letters. I was told that GM will not issue me a Compliance Letter for my 2012 Cruze because supposedly it is not up to safety standards. When I pressed exactly what is not up to standard, they would not tell me.

My car does have a tire pressure monitoring system, but not a live feed that you would see on the display on the dashboard. Only an indicator light that would light up if and when a tire is low pressure.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
A TPMS low pressure indicator light is sufficient. Send a letter to GM's Compliance requesting the specific items that are different between the two countries for the 2012 Cruze. You need the model (LS, LT, ECO, LTZ) but not your VIN. In your letter explain that failing to respond may be a violation to the North American Free Trade Agreement. Send a second letter to Transport Canada and the NHTSA requesting specific information on what the differences were for cars made in 2012. You will need to know what changes Transport Canada claims are needed as well as the changes the NHTSA are needed. I bet all the changes, if there are any, are in the software.

I bet the real issue is that Transport Canada and the NHTSA haven't coordinated their warning alerts. Take a look at Table 1.1 at https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.101 for the required indicators in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have run into the same issue as you with importing a 2012 cruze and have not been able to receive the compliance letter from GM. Does anyone have any ideas? Have you had any luck with moving forward?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel that GM of Canada as the seller of this vehicle has a duty to answer your question. Some useful GM of Canada contacts for you might be ( since GM of Canada Customer Care was not able to help you ):

Geoff Bailey - Manager Regulatory Programs 905-644-1200 or cell 905-442-6791
Sam Luinstra - Canadian Product Vehicle Regulations 905-644-3389
Sandra Voitka - Director, GM of Canada - 905-644-5702

It is funny that one of the few differences appears to be the interior headliner, which has a US and a different Canadian part number, I guess it could have to do with crash regulations and how the occupant is protected. Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
It is funny that one of the few differences appears to be the interior headliner, which has a US and a different Canadian part number, I guess it could have to do with crash regulations and how the occupant is protected.
Flammability rating?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this? I am having the same issue with my 2014 Cruze that I bought in Canada.
I actually contacted my dealer and they told me the difference is the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors (TPMS).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts