Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have two coworkers that are Canadians, from the Toronto Area, and have moved to my state. They have purchased a house, and even changed plates to a 2005-6 ish Mazda Wagon. The car now has plates in the states of his residence the odometer is still primarily in Kilometers. The car does have daytime running lights.

He drove with the Toronto plates for what seemed to be 30-60 days. I think it was because he wanted to "maximize" the value of taxes paid in Canada, before buying state stickers.

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to get answers on interpreting the local rules and regulations from GM. With a newer car I wouldn 't go so far as selling it for a loss, just to buy new one in the US.

Granted being in Minnesota maybe a little easier, as it's a border state to Canada.

I'd get in contact with a local Department of Motor Vehicles in the state that your moving into and see if they can help. Or if you make it over to Buffalo, NY maybe stop at a department of Motor Vehicles there and ask how it works. I't also seems that there's some documentation of importation at the customs boarder crossing? I have no idea how far the buffalo crossing is from you, but a lot of them drive to Buffalo for USA flights rather than traveling out of Toronto International. Getting some paperwork/procedure from a motor vehicle department near the border, who maybe sees this happen may have better information than a department of motor vehicles in a small town in Central United States say Oklahoma.

Also see the documents found on the customs page.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/425/~/registering-a-foreign-registered-vehicle,-car-or-motorcycle-in-the-u.s.-with

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I don't know why I'm researching this, but the original question was interesting.

It looks like the compliance sticker is on the inside of the drivers door. It's on the B pillar between the front door and the hinge pillar of the passenger rear door. It's not the one that has the recommended tire pressure on it.

It clearly states that this vehicle meets US federal safety and EPA requirements. It also has the VIN on it. I believe this would be the proof required when filling out the Customs forms.

Does the Canadian Cruze have this sticker?

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning, hoping you can help me.

Wondering if you were able to import your car to the USA.
Our car is a 2011 Eco Cruze and would like to import it and we are having alot of trouble trying to find out if it passes all the safety issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried to get letter of compliance for my 2013 cruze. There is a document on the NHTSA sight that says canadian vehicals can be imported as long as they meet a certain listed number NHTSA standards. . Most standards are occupent safety issues with air bags, child restraints, impact issues and one is the tire pressure monitor system . I was told the Canadian vehical does not comply with most of these listed standards all related to structure? They would not elaborate . My vehical does comply with the tire monitoring system. It is basically simple to import a vehical if you have the letter of compliance . I imported a dodge truck with no problem 2 years Ago. Just follow the procedure. The key is the letter of compliance for EPA and NHTSA compliance. 99 percent of all relatively new canadian vehicals meet the standards but not the cruze. Not sure if the new ones 2016/2017 meet the standards but looks like up to 2014 do not.☹️

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
I know this is an aging thread but perhaps my story will make those thinking of importing a Chevy to think twice. I bought a Brand New CRUZE in the United States (Arizona) and had massive trouble registering it the next day in California. I would never buy out of State again. Even had to get it Smogged for $80, it blew all zeros!

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I know this is an aging thread but perhaps my story will make those thinking of importing a Chevy to think twice. I bought a Brand New CRUZE in the United States (Arizona) and had massive trouble registering it the next day in California. I would never buy out of State again. Even had to get it Smogged for $80, it blew all zeros!
Definitely think twice if you're going to a state that does smog checks.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
Definitely think twice if you're going to a state that does smog checks.
Oh I had no doubt the Cruze would pass unlike my California cars from my youth, and even then you just paid off the Smog guy and passed. Its the matter of having to shell out 80 bucks in this little town as only one guy has the machine and is certified. Plus its a little harder to cheat these days, still can be done though...

·
10,705 Posts
What year? My Ohio built and Ohio dealer ordered and Ohio sold Cruze is marked

"California Class /stds: PC/ULEV qualified"

Not like I'd move there when I am a avid gun person and all.

As for the non American Cruze, not all cars are built to spec even if they are made here. Dodge Neons overseas had to have orange turn signals on their brake lights to pass their regulations and DCX refused to sell any of those lights to us in the US even if we circumvented and found the part numbers. Just trying to find the Cruze wood grain interior parts was a hassle because its in a non American Cruze. Same went for the passenger airbag delete for Mexican Cruze for those ACR track only guys.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
It was a 2014 and it had 40 miles on it, makes no difference to the DMV, at least ours. California sucks in many more ways than you'll ever know

·
10,705 Posts
It was a 2014 and it had 40 miles on it, makes no difference to the DMV, at least ours. California sucks in many more ways than you'll ever know
I will take your word for it. All of those beautiful tourist trap pictures and car club pics do make it look like a lovely place to be from the outside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 LT Cruze and I am dealing with the same problem. CMVSS certified, US EPA certified, FMVSS Non Certified. The letter from GM states that those three things. However, the letter does not state which specific FMVSS standards it does not adhere to. When I pushed harder to find out, they became evasive. GM of Canada told me to call GM of USA, and GM of USA said its GM of Canada's problem. Now they won't answer emails or phone calls. I have contacted 6 different Registered Importers (4 in NY, 1 in PA, 1 in NJ) and nobody will take the job because they don't know what they need to fix. I am very disappointed in this company and their underhanded business tactics. The car is still under 4 years old and I will have to return it to Canada (on a temp 1 year permit currently) so that I can sell it. What a waste!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hi there,

Guess what, I am in the exact same situation right now. How come an American made car does not comply to FMVSS standards? I asked to know more.

(i) Emissions (EPA)
Our records confirm that this vehicle was equipped with an emission control system FE9 & NT7 which
met U.S. Federal Emission Standards at the time of manufacture. For more information refer to EPA
website (http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/index.htm), or contact the EPA Imports at 734-214-4100
(Fax: 734-214-4676),

Our records confirm that this vehicle conformed to all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
(CMVSS) in effect at the time of manufacture.
Our records confirm that this vehicle DOES NOT conform to the applicable U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety Standards (FMVSS) in effect at the time of manufacture. Please note that this vehicle does not
comply with all FMVSS.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
How come my one day old 2014 with 38 miles didn't comply to California standards? Nothing that $78 couldn't cure with a smog test. I might have mentioned this earlier

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Here is what I got from GM Canada. I am waiting on confirmation that the Canadian model can be modified to comply to the US standard.

Untitled.png

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I think I spent over a dozen hours trying to figure this out.

GM Canada will not give more than the following statement and they mention they will not go into details here, that I should contact a registered importer (which tells me TPMS cannot be retrofitted on my car, hence, nothing we can do)

Our records confirm that this vehicle DOES NOT conform to the applicable U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) in effect at the time of manufacture. Please note that this vehicle does not comply with all FMVSS.

This is totally unacceptable. As an owner of a Cruze, I do not have the right to know why my car does not comply to FMVSS standards? But all GM has to say is that it does not comply to "all FMVSS"? WOW!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I called (888) 467-6853 and I was told they do not handle any more issues regarding car import/export. GM is now taking "care" of that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You can't import them without the compliance letter and GM USA won't give you one. Just sell the car in Canada and buy a car in the USA.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, I managed to drive the car to the US, CBP agents had no issue with that. The problem came when I tried to register the car in Texas, but I managed to do it. PM if you want, maybe I can help you.

Did you have any updates about importing the Cruze? Thanks.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts