Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I was wondering if anybody else has dealt with the issue I'm experiencing with my 2011 Chevy Cruze. Upon shutting off the ignition and opening the door, the car radio/infotainment system won't shut off. I can manually hit the power button, but the date and time remains on that screen.

Today, I took my car in for Special Coverage 14311, which replaced a corroded negative battery cable, but I'm still experiencing the infotainment system issue. Has anybody else experienced this? Any idea what the problem or fix could be?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
In my 2007 Saturn, sometime I have to tap on the door open switch to kill the stereo.
After a few thousand door openings, it doesn't always tell the car the door is open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Is there a permanent fix for this? Or a way to have the radio shut down with the ignition and not the door opening?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
You could probably tear your dash apart and pull the radio out. Run the power wire to some sort of key off wire. Like the old days.

Might have to run a wire to the fuse block or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I was anywhere smart enough to figure that one out. Honestly, I'd rather get rid of the console altogether than worry about how long I'll be restarting the ignition and hoping that time it will shut down properly. It took me 20 minutes today.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think you'd be better off fixing the door switch. The radio is not meant to be switched off by removing power. It turns off when it "hears" the BCM send the appropriate command on the car's computer buss when triggered by the door switch. There's other things triggered by it, so it's best to fix the switch rather than trying to jerryrig it.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, that very well could be it. Do you know about how to replace that, or what the cost could be?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
In the meantime you could just remove the stereo fuse to kill the power, I know it's not the "right thing to do" but neither is leaving the stereo powered on all night to drain the battery. The fuse is in the small panel to the left of the steering wheel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It takes about 10-20 minutes, but I am able to eventually shut down the stereo in these cases. It has only been going on for a month -- perhaps related to cold weather -- and every fifth ignition shutdown or so. I have not left the stereo running at fear of running the battery down.

All I want is a way where this isn't a problem and I can shut down the car without worrying about the infotainment console shutting down automatically. I'd love for it to be synced to the ignition, but I'm willing to work with any solution -- and am hopeful it doesn't cost me a ton of money.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
On the screen between the gauges does it notify you when your door is open? If it does I would think that rules out the door ajar switch

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Based on the description I'm thinking the door switch is not 'seeing' the latch released......it 'thinks' the door is fully closed (no ajar light).

Try this: Engine running, all doors closed......shut engine off....don't remove key yet....note the interior lights should not yet be on.
Remove the key.....this triggers a exit light circuit and the interior lights should come on........do NOT open the door, yet.
The interior lights should stay on for about 30/45 seconds and then slowly dim and shut off.

Now, open the drivers door.......if the switch is good, the interior lights will come on.......if the switch (or related wiring) has a failure, the lights will remain off.
This is about the only driveway test you can perform.
The dealer, using a TechII tool, can see the switch commands to further evaluate.

For now, even if your radio stays on, the RAP circuit, (Retained Accessory Power) shuts down the car after approximately ten minutes so you don't have to be concerned about killing the battery.

Keep in touch,
Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could probably tear your dash apart and pull the radio out. Run the power wire to some sort of key off wire. Like the old days.

Might have to run a wire to the fuse block or something.
BCM/Radio controls a lot, especially when car is "off". Sounds like a terrible way to go about things, should just get the door latch fixed properly. Or it'll just turn off 10 mins after as long as keys are out. Still annoying to hear radio though for those 10 mins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will the radio turn off after 10 minutes? I haven't left it that long. I can hit the off button but the clock stays lit, which I'm worried will drain the battery. But it would be nice to know the thing shuts off eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Will the radio turn off after 10 minutes? I haven't left it that long. I can hit the off button but the clock stays lit, which I'm worried will drain the battery. But it would be nice to know the thing shuts off eventually.
The radio will shut down after RAP goes into effect......about ten minutes.
It shuts the whole car down......even if you leave the headlights manually on.....they'll shut off till the door is unlocked or opened.

Rob

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,091 Posts
I probably missed something, but are you referring to the radio playing until you open the drivers door? I assume not, but am asking just in case. If you just sit there it stays on for about five minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
On the screen between the gauges does it notify you when your door is open? If it does I would think that rules out the door ajar switch
I think the ignition has to be on for that screen to work.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The OP has a situation where the radio and screen remain active after key removal and door opening.
Normally, the radio and screen shut off on door opening and yes, will stay on for up to 10 minutes after shut off but before opening door.

That either clarified or I muddied the water worse, heh heh.

Rob

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
BCM/Radio controls a lot, especially when car is "off". Sounds like a terrible way to go about things, should just get the door latch fixed properly. Or it'll just turn off 10 mins after as long as keys are out. Still annoying to hear radio though for those 10 mins.
I only mentioned the power wire. I didn't say anything about the controller wires.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts