Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.. Saving a post finally got me registered. XD As the title says, I got a sweet deal on a friend's 2012 Cruze RS when he went to buy a Jeep and have frequently perused the forums here ever since. At the time it needed an intake or PCV fix and a few minor repairs to run and pass inspection, and it took me a while to get it on the road. It's dead stock aside from the tint. I like the car a lot. Wish it was a stick. I try to take good care of her. Here's a picture from a recent bath.

Thank you to everyone who contributes. I appreciate the help this place has provided.

As for what I'm working on, the car shifts hard and inconsistently, so I just got some AMSOIL Signature ATF and I'm going to change it out. That thanks to recommendations here on the forums. What's in there is burnt to a crisp, dirty and I have no idea when or even if it was changed. The car has about 126k miles on it. I'm cautiously optimistic that changing out the fluid will help matters.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,840 Posts
Make sure you’re using the SS FE ATF and not the regular SS fluid. The former is Dex 6 compatible while the latter is only Dex 3 compatible. 2 drain and fills would be the way I’d go with that - you’ll need around 9 qts.

Reminds me of my Gen 1. Glad you got it back on the road.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4t auto
100 Posts
Be sure and check the transmission lines at the connections too. Pretty notorious for seeping there also. The picture is irrelevant but figured iwould post sence you mentioned both as you can't go wrong with either one
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,487 Posts
Hello all.. Saving a post finally got me registered. XD As the title says, I got a sweet deal on a friend's 2012 Cruze RS when he went to buy a Jeep and have frequently perused the forums here ever since. At the time it needed an intake or PCV fix and a few minor repairs to run and pass inspection, and it took me a while to get it on the road. It's dead stock aside from the tint. I like the car a lot. Wish it was a stick. I try to take good care of her. Here's a picture from a recent bath.

Thank you to everyone who contributes. I appreciate the help this place has provided.

As for what I'm working on, the car shifts hard and inconsistently, so I just got some AMSOIL Signature ATF and I'm going to change it out. That thanks to recommendations here on the forums. What's in there is burnt to a crisp, dirty and I have no idea when or even if it was changed. The car has about 126k miles on it. I'm cautiously optimistic that changing out the fluid will help matters.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you’re using the SS FE ATF and not the regular SS fluid. The former is Dex 6 compatible while the latter is only Dex 3 compatible. 2 drain and fills would be the way I’d go with that - you’ll need around 9 qts.

Thanks, I did get the FE fluid, 2.5 gals.

Appreciate the welcome, all. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

I completed the transmission fluid change. I decided to drain it three times. The first drain I replaced with Castrol. The next two the AMSOIL. By the time I drained it the third time the fluid was coming out more red than brown or dirty. This was very satisfying, if not a lot of work in a gravel drive with ramps. I drove the car in a 6 mile circuit between drains.

Shifting improved dramatically. The car is notably faster to change and engage gears. In general the transmission is functioning exactly how it should.

I also deleted the intake resonator and put in a K&N filter. It's had the same effect an aftermarket CAI would, but I'm burning up crazy gas. One work run I hit 20MPG. I have to fix it or reattach the resonator. Going to reset the ECU tomorrow.

I've got a project going refinishing the headlights. Wet sand and PlastX.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light Grille

Re-clamped the hose between the thermostat and the heater core because it was leaking like crazy.

I'm in touch with a guy who has parts for sale from his retired Cruze.

This is turning into a micro blog about the car, but I do love it for what it is. And meanwhile lust after an 09-10 335i. Twin turbo straight six!

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,487 Posts
I completed the transmission fluid change. I decided to drain it three times. The first drain I replaced with Castrol. The next two the AMSOIL. By the time I drained it the third time the fluid was coming out more red than brown or dirty. This was very satisfying, if not a lot of work in a gravel drive with ramps. I drove the car in a 6 mile circuit between drains.

Shifting improved dramatically. The car is notably faster to change and engage gears. In general the transmission is functioning exactly how it should.

I also deleted the intake resonator and put in a K&N filter. It's had the same effect an aftermarket CAI would, but I'm burning up crazy gas. One work run I hit 20MPG. I have to fix it or reattach the resonator. Going to reset the ECU tomorrow.

I've got a project going refinishing the headlights. Wet sand and PlastX.

View attachment 298132

Re-clamped the hose between the thermostat and the heater core because it was leaking like crazy.

I'm in touch with a guy who has parts for sale from his retired Cruze.

This is turning into a micro blog about the car, but I do love it for what it is. And meanwhile lust after an 09-10 335i. Twin turbo straight six!
You might want to start a Build or Repair thread here instead of continuing in the Introduction thread. More people over time will look and comment.

Cruze Owner Projects

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clean ride! Those black center caps are interesting, tell me more
👀
You know, until you said that I hadn't paid attention to the fact that I never see stock Cruzes with black centers.

Those aren't actually caps. The wheels are solid across the hub. I think it may be an RS thing?

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,008 Posts
You know, until you said that I hadn't paid attention to the fact that I never see stock Cruzes with black centers.

Those aren't actually caps. The wheels are solid across the hub. I think it may be an RS thing?
they are and I found them ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts