Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently got a 2017 cruze LT, automatic not knowing it had auto stop. When we did the test drive, it was below 41 degrees and it never activated. After we purchased it, the weather warmed up. Anyway, now that we know about it, I was curious about how much gas it really saves in the 1.4 turbo gas engine. My wife drove it in the regular D mode for 212 miles, took 7.18 gal to fill up, for results 29.5 mpg, mostly city driving. To do a comparison, I asked her to do the same route she did the first time (not hard to do because she goes to the same places on the same days mostly anyway) only to shift into L and hit the + button to L6 display, then drive as normal. She did that and here are the initial results. 215 miles with 7.1 gal fill up for an mpg of 30.28. :confused:

Obviously not scientific and too close on just one test to form any definite conclusions, but it's just not a result I expected. Sometimes when people do a mpg test they drive differently, more conservatively, but I saw my wife drive previously and this time. She was just driving her normal way, not even caring what the mpg was. I wouldn't say she's a lead foot, but she doesn't drive like a little old lady either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife and I recently got a 2017 cruze LT, automatic not knowing it had auto stop. When we did the test drive, it was below 41 degrees and it never activated. After we purchased it, the weather warmed up. Anyway, now that we know about it, I was curious about how much gas it really saves in the 1.4 turbo gas engine. My wife drove it in the regular D mode for 212 miles, took 7.18 gal to fill up, for results 29.5 mpg, mostly city driving. To do a comparison, I asked her to do the same route she did the first time (not hard to do because she goes to the same places on the same days mostly anyway) only to shift into L and hit the + button to L6 display, then drive as normal. She did that and here are the initial results. 215 miles with 7.1 gal fill up for an mpg of 30.28. :confused:

Obviously not scientific and too close on just one test to form any definite conclusions, but it's just not a result I expected. Sometimes when people do a mpg test they drive differently, more conservatively, but I saw my wife drive previously and this time. She was just driving her normal way, not even caring what the mpg was. I wouldn't say she's a lead foot, but she doesn't drive like a little old lady either.
Interesting comparison, too short to be “fully” scientific but it may indicate that there is not very much difference in the mpg between the two. I personally do not like the auto stop/start in D and use L6 all the time (except when I forget to shift into it) but don’t worry I get reminded that I’m in “D” very quickly at the first stop. I was going to try to change my driving habits and use lighter pressure on the break pedal when stopping to avoid engaging the AS but that soon became a royal PITA. My current gas mileage is 25.7 using 87 octane. 75% city - lot’s of short trips, 25% highway (70mph). That mpg should go up as the weather gets warmer, I won’t be remote starting and warming up the car. So far (4-1/2 months in) I really like my 2017 LT (Hot Red) ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting comparison, too short to be “fully” scientific but it may indicate that there is not very much difference in the mpg between the two. I personally do not like the auto stop/start in D and use L6 all the time (except when I forget to shift into it) but don’t worry I get reminded that I’m in “D” very quickly at the first stop. I was going to try to change my driving habits and use lighter pressure on the break pedal when stopping to avoid engaging the AS but that soon became a royal PITA. My current gas mileage is 25.7 using 87 octane. 75% city - lot’s of short trips, 25% highway (70mph). That mpg should go up as the weather gets warmer, I won’t be remote starting and warming up the car. So far (4-1/2 months in) I really like my 2017 LT (Hot Red) 
My wife likes hers too, but she hasn't got many miles on it it, and hasn't owned it very long. What concerns me about her purchase is less of an MPG issue and more of a reliability issue. That's not something that's going to show up right now unless she bought a lemon. Her's went unsold for over a year since manufacture and had 200 miles of test drives on it. (dec 2016, including with the end of year sales the dealer had to get rid of most of their 17's. It could be the people who test drove experienced the auto stop and said to heck with this nonsense. I know we would have passed on it if we'd known about it. (when we took the test drive, it was below 41 degrees.)

I'm not sure how much difference the MPG will make on hers now that weather is warmer, because she doesn't typically let the car warm up much before she drives it. She's trying it again in D mode, and it's annoying, because it's typically off for a few seconds or less when it activates.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure how much difference the MPG will make on hers now that weather is warmer, because she doesn't typically let the car warm up much before she drives it. She's trying it again in D mode, and it's annoying, because it's typically off for a few seconds or less when it activates.
I’m willing to bet your wife will be back to driving in L6 very quickly now that the weather is getting warmer and the AS/S will be active all the time in D. I only have 1,600 miles on my car since mid November and hope to continue with enjoying driving with no reliability issues. Other people in the forum have stated that the Gen 2 Cruze’s have a lot less issues then the Gen 1’s do. Time will tell. Continued good luck with yours. ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m willing to bet your wife will be back to driving in L6 very quickly now that the weather is getting warmer and the AS/S will be active all the time in D. I only have 1,600 miles on my car since mid November and hope to continue with enjoying driving with no reliability issues. Other people in the forum have stated that the Gen 2 Cruze’s have a lot less issues then the Gen 1’s do. Time will tell. Continued good luck with yours. 
Saying the generations two's might have less issues than the generation one isn't saying much, based on all the issues I've heard about with the gen ones. I had a chevy mechanic stick up for the cruze design by saying they are much better than the old cobalts. I wish Chevy could build a car that they could proudly say is a good car, as good as any modern Japanese made car, and not merely "it's not as bad as the previous chevy car." :( Perhaps the gen 2 cruze is that car. We'll see.

The more my wife and I drive in D mode after testing in L6 mode, the more obvious the annoyance is of the auto stop. :( I've heard since my wife bought the Cruze that the other manufacturers of cars that have auto stop (obviously not counting hybrids) allow the driver to turn it off without shifting in some special mode. Haven't verified that yet, but it's a little late now anyway, we're stuck with the Cruze, unless it turns out to be a lemon. So far it's had issues, but none yet that qualify it as a lemon, just odd things that occurred shortly after buying it. Maybe it's because it sat in the dealers lot for over a year before we got it, IDK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a new 2018 Cruze and I cannot get used to the auto start / stop. I do a lot of highway driving and it is less noticeable, but around town it's so frustrating. My dealer suggested using L6 to stop it. I have tried that and it works. Is it in any way bad for the car / transmission? I wouldn't think so... Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I recently purchased a new 2018 Cruze and I cannot get used to the auto start / stop. I do a lot of highway driving and it is less noticeable, but around town it's so frustrating. My dealer suggested using L6 to stop it. I have tried that and it works. Is it in any way bad for the car / transmission? I wouldn't think so... Thank you!
Hi Paul and welcome. I would HATE that feature for a multitude of reasons but no it is not bad for the car/transmission. When I'm running my A/C I never shut down my 2014 CRUZE until it has time to dry. That might sound odd but I will never drive another car that smells like mold, foot odor, and fungus, I've been there! Do they still make cars without this 'technology'?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts