Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2017 Summit White with a manual transmission last Saturday. It had to be brought in from another dealer, so I started with 305 miles on it. I have around 750 miles on it tonight.

I'm a VW TDI refugee. My 2009 Jetta was my favorite car and I hated to part with it, but it made the most sense to let it go. As I've been getting to know the Cruze, I keep reminding myself that it's not the puppy's fault that I loved the old dog so much.

That said, I'm really liking the Cruze. If the fuel computer is to be believed, it's effortlessly getting over 50 MPG. My daily commute is about 52 miles of rural highway and interstate ranging from 55-70 MPH with lots of rises and falls -- it's not all flat ground at 55 MPH. I'm seeing 25-mile and 50-mile "average bests" in the high 50s and low 60s. Squeezing 50 MPG out of my VW required patience and focus and most of the time it averaged a little better than 40 MPG. I'm just driving the Cruze and it appears to be hitting around 50 MPG on the first tank.

One of the things I loved about the Jetta was that it was punchy in traffic. Need to beat the other guy to the next light because you need to be in his lane? No problem. Diesel torque at your service. The diesel Cruze shares this characteristic. Sometimes it seems even more eager, but that's probably my style with the manual transmission. If you go deep with your right foot as you finish with the clutch, the Cruze is going to pick up and GO. The Jetta had a DSG, which I came to respect and even like. But I'm enjoying the manual in the Cruze.

It's a very comfortable ride. I'm in it for the fuel economy, ride comfort, and diesel torque and it appears to be a winner all around for me. The only blip so far is an OnStar diagnostics e-mail in which the emissions system got a red mark. I called OnStar and the operator couldn't make sense of the error message, so I got transferred to someone whose job seems to be to tell you to take your car to the dealer. Sorry, bud, I'm too busy driving it and unless the check engine light comes on, ain't nobody got time for stops at the dealer. From what they were able to say about the code, I have an idea that some OnStar systems aren't up to speed with the diesel model yet. Disregard OnStar. Acquire miles.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Disregard OnStar, acquire miles.

What was the code? I drove 5 miles at 70mph and got 60 MPG, in an automatic as it were. haha. The ride was very nice as well; glad you confirm that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Keep us posted and enjoy the ride

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Am I correct in the belief that you are the first gen2ctd?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the code? I drove 5 miles at 70mph and got 60 MPG, in an automatic as it were. haha. The ride was very nice as well; glad you confirm that.
I don't even remember. I thought they were going to send a follow-up e-mail with the details. I was driving. The second guy I talked to asked me for my VIN number. I said "are you kidding me?" He said, "no, it should be on your insurance or registration." Dude. I'm driving. Oh. OK. I'm like "you're connected to my car... don't you already know?" Apparently the service group isn't connected to the car the way the operators are.

Anyway, it was something about a fuel control module fault or something. I'm conversant in car parts and have turned a wrench or two and whatever they said it was sounded like something that would have prevented the car from even running. Since I was tooling along at 55 MPH with no warning lights on the dash at the time, I decided it was possible their systems were looking for some part or feature the diesel doesn't have. I'm not swinging by the dealer to make OnStar's bit-flippers happy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am I correct in the belief that you are the first gen2ctd?
Maybe. I thought I saw another post from a Gen2 diesel owner. I might be the second. I'm an early adopter either way though.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I don't even remember. I thought they were going to send a follow-up e-mail with the details. I was driving. The second guy I talked to asked me for my VIN number. I said "are you kidding me?" He said, "no, it should be on your insurance or registration." Dude. I'm driving. Oh. OK. I'm like "you're connected to my car... don't you already know?" Apparently the service group isn't connected to the car the way the operators are.

Anyway, it was something about a fuel control module fault or something. I'm conversant in car parts and have turned a wrench or two and whatever they said it was sounded like something that would have prevented the car from even running. Since I was tooling along at 55 MPH with no warning lights on the dash at the time, I decided it was possible their systems were looking for some part or feature the diesel doesn't have. I'm not swinging by the dealer to make OnStar's bit-flippers happy.
Do you have anything plugged into the OBDII port like a Progressive snapshot or a scantool?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have anything plugged into the OBDII port like a Progressive snapshot or a scantool?
OnStar asked me if I did. I don't. I had a bluetooth OBD2 reader and Torque on my phone, but the reader disappeared out of another car. Not sure if I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it or if it grew legs at a service shop. I intend to get a new reader and use it with the Cruze though. Haven't seen if Android Auto picks up and displays Torque. Bonus points if it does.

I saw where somebody had developed a Torque package for the Gen1 diesel. I'm hoping that works with the Gen2 or that we can get it updated. I'm interested in monitoring the particulate level. With as much long-haul driving as I do I'm hoping it won't hit me with the "keep driving" message unexpectedly when I'm already running late for work.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Thanks for the impression. I would not worry about the Onstar thing at all if you're not seeing a CEL. I declined that type of Onstar service in my '14, so if it had done anything like that, I would not have known. I went 60K miles before I had my first CEL for a temp sensor. Hopefully the gen 2 ends up being even more reliable than that.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure what services I'll keep with OnStar for the long haul. I think I have a 3-year promotional deal for basic services like remote unlock. I've kept it active on our Traverse for the remote start from my phone. The novelty of that hasn't worn off yet. No remote start for the Cruze because it's a manual transmission, so there's really not much there to keep me attached to the service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you download the MyChevrolet app instead of using the OnStar app, you can keep the remote features even without an OnStar subscription.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check engine light finally came on just past 2000 miles on the odo. As a former VW owner, it's a familiar sight.

The code is p1488. OnStar still has no idea what it means. Will have to find time to get it to a dealer I guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The first check engine light at 2000 miles -- seems pretty low to already be having issues. Hopefully this car is not full of emissions bugs like gen 1...

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
CEL in 2000 miles, let's hope it's something minor. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Check engine light finally came on just past 2000 miles on the odo. As a former VW owner, it's a familiar sight.

The code is p1488. OnStar still has no idea what it means. Will have to find time to get it to a dealer I guess.
That's not a good sign... I went 61K miles in my gen 1 before I ever got a CEL, and it was something minor. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,876 Posts
It's also a Fuel circuit code on Fords, so I wonder what GM used it for - cannot find any GM applications of that code.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's also a Fuel circuit code on Fords, so I wonder what GM used it for - cannot find any GM applications of that code.
OnStar did say that it was failing a "fuel system" test, but it can't be too serious because it runs great and continues to turn in 50+ MPG even when driven hard between the highway stretches of my commute.

It's going to the shop in the morning. I'll report back the results. I am concerned that it's so new that nobody is going to know what to do about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts