Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's very little information about this code or condition online. But what I'm finding is 'replace the injector'.

If I do that, should I just do all 4? It looks like a very simple job, just costly.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,941 Posts
Is it implying that the injector is being commanded to spray the maximum amount of fuel allowed by the ECM? That's what I'm kind of getting out of it, at least.

Do you smell fuel at all?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fuel smell, though sometimes, maybe once or twice i month, I get a quick wiff of diesel but its' not consistent.

I cleared the code and it came back on after a few restarts.

I looked at live data today and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Balance is within a percent or so, nothing else stands out.

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
422 Posts
I'd swap injector 1 with injector 2 and see if the code follows the injector or stays with the cylinder.

Carefully inspect the connector on the harness for any signs of corrosion or sockets that don't look right. Also inspect the injector for the same.

Hopefully the code follows the injector.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's what service data says. I don't have a way to do a fuel injector reset. But a guy on YouTube showed replacing the injectors and he said he didn't do any programming. Based on this, I may just drive the tank empty and fill up somewhere else to see what happens.

DTCs P02CD, P02CF, P02D1 and P02D3 are Type B DTCs.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
DTCs P02CD, P02CF, P02D1 and P02D3 are Type B DTCs.
Diagnostic Aids
This Diagnostic parameter is stored in the ECM over a period of time. Time to set this DTC may take
several drive cycles.
Contaminated or improper fuel quality may cause this DTC to set.
Worn base engine components or differences in cylinder compression may cause this DTC to set.
If the DTC is cleared without resetting the injection timing corrections a pending DTC will be set without
illuminating the MIL until the next key cycle.

1. Verify the proper fuel is used. Refer to Fuel System Specifications and Contaminants-in-Fuel
Diagnosis .
2. Verify there are no aftermarket performance enhancing devices installed on the vehicle.
3. Perform the Fuel Injector Correction Reset for the appropriate fuel injector. Refer to Fuel Injector
Correction Reset .
4. Perform the Crankshaft Position Reluctor Wheel Learn. Refer to Crankshaft Position Reluctor Wheel
Learn .
5. Perform the Fuel Injector Timing Learn to verify that the DTC does not set. Refer to Fuel Injector
Timing Learn .
If DTC sets
Refer to Circuit/System Testing.
If DTC does not set
6. All OK.
Circuit/System Testing
1. Perform a engine compression test. Refer to Engine Compression Test .
If engine compression is not within specification
Repair as necessary.
If engine compression is within specification
2. Replace the appropriate Q17 Fuel Injector.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Quick update

Light went out today and stayed out through several restarts and around 60 miles. Then it came back on. Good news the light goes out when the problem goes away, so I think I can just put a new injector in without doing any resets/reprogramming.

The service data says it's either a fuel issue, a bad injector, or a catastrophic engine failure (loss of compression). I know for certain it's not #3 because the car still hauls ass when I tell it to and there would be other signs of a major issue.

However, looking at my $50 WalMart dongle app, I found this menu under service which I think is what I need to do the relearn if I want to try that first. This thing keeps impressing me every time I use it.

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the past few days have been fun.

Friday after work I drove it as empty as possible and filled up at a different place in case I was getting bad fuel (service data point 1). Drove about 50 miles SES stayed on. Car sat all day Saturday. Sunday morning, went out and warmed it up and did the fuel injector correction reset and was able to clear the SES. Did about 15 starts and drove the car around 20 miles or so and the light didn't come back on.

This morning driving in, after about 25 miles, I got the Exhaust Fluid Quality Low display with the countdown of death. Never saw that before on my car. About 10 miles later it went out. Drove another 70-80 miles and it never came back on and everything seems fine.

So I don't know what's going on. I'm wondering if I have a leaky injector. I've been meaning to do another Blackstone test. I think I'll do that and see if I have any fuel in the oil, even though the level doesn't seem to be going up it will make me feel better.

FYI just about 194,000 miles incase you are wonder.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update on this issue.

Never saw the Exhaust Fluid Quality Low again.

The SES for the injector came and went over the week of the 15th. By that weekend it came on and stayed on and never went out again.

I put a new injector in it today and did another injector reset. So far after about 40 miles and several restarts the light hasn't come back on. Installed injector and didn't find any leaks but did have a small leak appear after driving for awhile. Got that tightened back down.

Overall, the job was surprisingly easy. Believe it or not the hardest part was getting the black low pressure return lines off. I did snap a piece off due to old plastic but it still clips on and won't pull off so I'm not worried about it. Also taped a piece of vacuum hose up to a shop vac to get all of the dirt out of the injector tube which was pretty full of sand. Worked really well.

I'll give another update at the end of the week. I'm pretty sure if the issue still persist it will come back on in a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts