Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done this afternoon with installing my Injen CAI for the wife and it's awesome. For anyone that isn't mechanically inclined, I figure I'll give you a first person step by step process on how to go about it:
Step 1:
Disconnect the + battery lead from the distribution box. This will allow the computer to reset and "re-learn" the new amount of air that it will be receiving

Step 2:
Disconnect the drip tube from the filter box as well as the hose clamp holding the flex pipe onto the turbo inlet. Pull the air box and flex pipe out of the car.

Step 3: Remove the press in grommets with a small flat screwdriver from the air duct in the fender. We'll pull this out later.

Step 4: Next, we'll need to take the passenger side bumper off of the car. DON'T GET SCARED. It's not as bad as it sounds, but TAKE YOUR TIME. Otherwise you will scratch your paint, break tabs, spider your bumper, etc. Just be careful and you'll be fine. Remove the 4 push in grommets along with 2-10mm bolts on the top:

3 torx screws in the passenger side wheel well only. You don't need to take the 3 out of the driver's side. Turn the wheel to the passenger side to make this easier:

Lastly, after moving your dog out of the way, remove the remaining torx screws from the bottom of the bumper.

Start at the passenger wheel well and work your way to the front of the bumper, gently pressing the tabs holding the bumper on down. BE GENTLE. THEY WILL BREAK.

Step 5:
Remove the air inlet retainer piece by pressing down the 2 tabs holding it on and pulling it forward:

Step 6:
Remove the 10mm bolt holding the air intake pipe onto the front and remove the pipe from the car.

Step 7:
Push the resonator through the 2 grommets and into the fender splash guard and wiggle it out

Set the new filter in the fender well while your there.

Pull the last of the existing air pipe out.
Step 8:
Line the hole in the fender with the supplied rubber piece and install the rubber mount to the bottom hole on the top right of the hole in the fender.

Go ahead and remove the drip tube from the car while you're there.

Step 9: Get hold of your favorite purple yoga mat you rescued from the garbage when you had that crappy apartment and you figured it would work awesome to lay under cars with.

Lay out your old intake tube setup and your new one and marvel at how crappy, long, small, and garbage the stock one is compared to your new CAI

If you're extra cool like me, you can also see how awesome the black finish matches your granite black paint.

Step 10:
Now we're ready for the intake tube. Put the supplied coupler on the turbo inlet and tighten the bottom clamp. Slide the intake tube into the other end of the coupler.

Remove the MAF sensor from the old airbox and put it into the new intake pipe, carefully making sure the sensor is facing the correct way for the airflow. You will use the screws from the kit, NOT the screws from the original airbox.

If you want, put the filter on, bumper back, tighten the clamps, hook up MAF plug, hook up the battery, and you're done!

· Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or if you don't want a short ram and prefer the CAI, continue on....
Step 11:
Put the second coupler onto the second intake tube and put it into the fenderwell hole. Tighten the clamps on the coupler and attach the air filter to the bottom of the pipe. Lastly, tighten down the washer and nut to the rubber mount previously installed.

Voila!!!!
You're done!

· Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm an electrician. I studied DC electronics in HS. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one you take off as long as one terminal on the batter is disconnected.

As far as the bumper, you're either going to be taking off the splash guard, bumper, or skid panels under the car to get to that area. It's gonna take the same time regardless. It's not hard to do if you're mechanically inclined at least a little. You don't even need to jack the car up. I don't really see how you're going to take the front snorkel out without loosening up the bumper though. Maybe if you bend some plastic pretty good. Call me stupid, but I don't want to spider my paint.

I guess you really don't need to take the tube out of the car as it doesn't interfere with the new intake, but for me I wanted to take all the unneeded parts out just to show you guys the difference in all the tubing. Remember, you're probably going to want to make it all back to stock if you ever need to take it to the dealer for warranty issues.

· Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'll work on it. I took one with my crappy Flip, but you couldn't really hear anything. Plus it was so windy here (50 mph gusts) it was kinda pointless.

· Registered
259 Posts
I'm an electrician. I studied DC electronics in HS. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one you take off as long as one terminal on the batter is disconnected. .
The primary reason you disconnect the negative battery terminal instead of the positive terminal is because the car's frame is connected to the negative terminal. If the positive wire is disconnected and should it contact the negative frame any remaining positive voltage could cause a short.

I guess you really don't need to take the tube out of the car as it doesn't interfere with the new intake, but for me I wanted to take all the unneeded parts out just to show you guys the difference in all the tubing. Remember, you're probably going to want to make it all back to stock if you ever need to take it to the dealer for warranty issues.
If not removed or otherwise secured the snorkel will hang loose and may make unwanted noise--so do what Sparkles did. :eek:ccasion14:

· Premium Member
242 Posts
I just put in an order for one. I plan to just run mine as a Sri. I've installed them before nothing scary. I do have to remove my bumper when I get my new headlights whenever all my parts come. Lol not too scared about that either. God I miss xenon lighting.

· Registered
98 Posts
Just a question but on that vid of you brake boosting the car sounds awesome, what all have you done to it..... just the intake? I was curious if you did any sort of exhaust, bov, ect.

· Registered
885 Posts
I'm an electrician. I studied DC electronics in HS. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one you take off as long as one terminal on the batter is disconnected.
I'm not an electrician, but I do perform electrical/electronics work.

You are correct that removing the connection from either terminal will open up the circuit. BUT! The reason for removing the negative cable first is personal safety. If the tool that you are using to removing contacts any metal part of the car, then you are risk of shock. I've done that when removing the positive cable first. The wrench hit some sheet metal, got a bright blue flash, and a divot had spot welded into my wrench. If the wrench had contacted some metal while undoing the negative connection, nothing would have happened since it was the negative side of things connecting to the ground.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.