Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife hit a deer or the other way around, car is at my dealers now with a new fender. Stopped in to see the progress, front bumper was removed to change the fender, and the condenser was literally loaded with insects.

He is going to clean those off for me, but what about next time? Only access to the condenser is removing the front bumper, and with that removed, the only way to remove the condenser cover. I mentioned Highway 80 for an instant load of insects through the swamps, he said, Highway 173 is even worse, I stood corrected.

Mentioned on other vehicles, managed to install a screen door screen far foward and angled down, most of the insects would hit that and drop off, he agreed, this would be a challenge in the Cruze, no room for that.

Of course an insect plugged condenser greatly decreases the efficiency of the AC system and skyrockets the high side pressure. Followed by an overheated engine, need that air flow.

This is a problem looking for a solution for other than leaving the car parked in the dealers showroom floor.

Any suggestions? Remove the bumper each time?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I put some window screen material right ahead of the shutter mechanism on the Eco. There might be a way to tie into something behind the bumper still.

There's always getting the LTZ lower grille guard and wrapping that with window screen. The bumper will likely need to come off to install it. Thankfully on the Cruze that's a 15 minute job.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Mine was caked within the first 3,000miles. Never cleaned it off yet, was hoping there was a way to just remove the lower RS grill to access it. won't get that lucky I bet.

Thought about just installing some metal screen with zip ties on the front of lower RS grill, probably would barley notice it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What is working great for me is the Lebra Car bra that has the upper and lower and even the fog lights covered with a fine screen mesh it is easy to put on and remove. I also use a fine hand brush to brush off the dead insects plus from it once a week this way I do not have to remove it. All of my inside fronts are new looking from radiator to condenser.:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just open your hood and spray water from the inside of the engine bay to front of the car throught the cooling fins. This worked for all the cars I have owned. You won't hurt anything with the water. The cruze is no different than any other car in that bugs will get stuck in that area over time.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
What is working great for me is the Lebra Car bra that has the upper and lower and even the fog lights covered with a fine screen mesh it is easy to put on and remove. I also use a fine hand brush to brush off the dead insects plus from it once a week this way I do not have to remove it. All of my inside fronts are new looking from radiator to condenser.:)
Like the idea of the fine mesh, but would not every put a bra on a car. Every single one I have seen the paint fades on the car & not under the bra, also end up with missing paint along the edges where the bra rubs on the car(over a few years).

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Wife hit a deer or the other way around, car is at my dealers now with a new fender. Stopped in to see the progress, front bumper was removed to change the fender, and the condenser was literally loaded with insects.

He is going to clean those off for me, but what about next time? Only access to the condenser is removing the front bumper, and with that removed, the only way to remove the condenser cover. I mentioned Highway 80 for an instant load of insects through the swamps, he said, Highway 173 is even worse, I stood corrected.

Mentioned on other vehicles, managed to install a screen door screen far foward and angled down, most of the insects would hit that and drop off, he agreed, this would be a challenge in the Cruze, no room for that.

Of course an insect plugged condenser greatly decreases the efficiency of the AC system and skyrockets the high side pressure. Followed by an overheated engine, need that air flow.

This is a problem looking for a solution for other than leaving the car parked in the dealers showroom floor.

Any suggestions? Remove the bumper each time?

Do you have a Eco? Would this still be a problem with the RS cruzes?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Mines an RS & if you look at this image I took of condenser shield you can see it is covered in bugs, this was taken before 3,000 miles.

Hahaha, I guess that answers my question. So I guess even the RS cruzes could use a little extra shielding back there.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine was caked within the first 3,000miles. Never cleaned it off yet, was hoping there was a way to just remove the lower RS grill to access it. won't get that lucky I bet.

Thought about just installing some metal screen with zip ties on the front of lower RS grill, probably would barley notice it.
The RS grille is easily removed... there are two clips attached (molded) to the grille piece I believe at the top (about 24" apart) & the bottom just slides into four notch holes. I bought an RS grille & modified it to fit my ECO, but had to cut all of the surrounding plastic, but if memory serves it should be an easy off, easy on. You could just spray off the bugs or use a shop vac to pull them off periodically or go the route of a screen behind the grille.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Mines an RS & if you look at this image I took of condenser shield you can see it is covered in bugs, this was taken before 3,000 miles.

Take that shield, zip-tie some plastic pet-resistant window mesh to it, and let the mesh screen out the bug guts. $20 and 2 hours or so. I've done something similar to both cars, and it has worked out very well.

Also, the condenser is unavailable on these cars since there's no access from the top without taking off the front bumper. The front bumper is easy-peasy to take off, even for first-timers.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
The RS grille is easily removed... there are two clips attached (molded) to the grille piece I believe at the top (about 24" apart) & the bottom just slides into four notch holes. I bought an RS grille & modified it to fit my ECO, but had to cut all of the surrounding plastic, but if memory serves it should be an easy off, easy on.
Thanks for posting this. I guess I will have to take a look & mount some screen in there, I drive at night allot & hit swarms of bugs.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Definitely gonna have to look at mine when the insurance company is done with it. Ive had a few trips up 95 now when it took me 20 mins just to get the bugs off.my bumper cover and whatnot. Bet mines horrible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was discussing this issue with my dealer, course, he just sells these things, GM never asks him what his customers want. Discussed flushing it from the rear of the radiator, did you ever look at that radiator shroud? Or the pains involved with removing it?

Usually fairly good at solving problems like this, if my family and other commitments would give me five minutes. Already made an error, the intercooler for the turbo is jammed between the radiator and the condenser. Already experienced GM vehicles where that space in between these two was jammed to the top with debris. But still under why its our problem. Could just leave it, let the engine overheat and fight with my dealer for a warranty repair.

Best option so far is to remove the lower front cover to get access, besides I like dead insects dropping into my face. Dealer suggest blowing it out with an air hose, brilliant, that would bend those super weak fins. See the top grille is fake, and about 50% of the main grille is blocked, major air flow are from those slots in the bumper.

Another complete lack of thought is with frostless refrigerators. With my new one, zero thought, already seen holes burnt in the floor caused by debris built up. With this crazy thing, only way to clean the condenser was to move it outside and blast it out with an air hose. With the refrigerator lying on its back, attached screens to the bottom and install an AC filter in the lower front grille that is easy to remove and clean. That is working good for me. With older designs, could get a vacuum under for a good cleaning. Feel the latest designers are smoking crack.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The manufacturers should put a cycle in the ECU to blow the fan backwards at high speed for a few seconds every so often, like every 10th cold start. I've read that the bugs eventually fall off even if you don't clean the coil face so maybe it's not worth the trouble. My idea wouldn't cost them anything because it would be entirely software. Maybe a few cents for the gizmo to switch the voltage polarity.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been lucky with the Bras that I have used over the yrs. The newer ones are built better now and since I only use mine when I travel on major HYWYS and Interstates and leave it off the other times the sun still fades the paint to match over time. I have not had the paint rub on my cars that hold clips on mine are padded to the paint finish this is what the Colgan bra comes with. The Le Bra has all of the front covered with the screen and also prevents major paint chips from all over the front. For myself I would rather have a few small paint rubs then to have the front covered with chips and the inner Rad/condensor covered with insects plus that need to be cleaned out without doing any damage to them.:)

Covercraft

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I guess I will have to take a look & mount some screen in there, I drive at night allot & hit swarms of bugs.
You're welcome... hopefully I gave you enough info to remove the lower grille easily & get to those pesky dead bugs. Please, keep us updated on your results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts