Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got an extra Cruze Pioneer amplifier for cheap and decided to take it apart to see what was inside.

Electronics Electronic engineering Computer component Computer hardware Technology

It has two ST Electronics TDA7850 amplifier chips. These have 4 channels each and are 80 watts at 2 ohms impedance, or 50 watts at 4 ohms impedance. That makes 8 channels total, although the Cruze only has 7 channels (2x front, 1x center, 2x rear, 2x sub). They also have a stand-by and mute function, but no LAN capabilities. The Pioneer amp does not connect to the GM-LAN for DTCs.

It also has a digital sound processor. It uses a Texas Instruments TAS3108 Digital Signal processor combined with a Renesas M16C 16 bit microcontroller, which has a built-in 18 channel A/D converter. Although, I don't know if the amp uses this A/D converter because it also has a Texas Instruments PCM1802 A/D converter on the board. And, it has a TI PCM1609 D/A converter on board.

Other than that, there are a bunch of op-amps, a voltage regulator and all the required components to run these.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. this is the amplifier used in the Pioneer Premium audio system on the Cruze. RPO code UQA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram for this? I was going to pull one from a wrecked Cruze at LKQ last week, but I forgot my wire cutters to get the pig tails too... From what I could tell, there are 3 separate wire harnesses, each with 3 different wire gauges. The first one on the left has the thinnest gauge, maybe 20-22 and 10 wires. Middle has probably 14-16 gauge wires and 10 there as well. The one on the right only had 6, maybe 10-12 gauge and were presumably for the power (black & red) and 6X9 woofers. I assume the middle harness is for the door speakers...2 coming into the amp & 8 out for mids. The left harness...4 coming in & 6 out for tweeters and center. Not sure how it gets "turned on" though? Is there a turn on wire?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a wiring diagram for this? I was going to pull one from a wrecked Cruze at LKQ last week, but I forgot my wire cutters to get the pig tails too... From what I could tell, there are 3 separate wire harnesses, each with 3 different wire gauges. The first one on the left has the thinnest gauge, maybe 20-22 and 10 wires. Middle has probably 14-16 gauge wires and 10 there as well. The one on the right only had 6, maybe 10-12 gauge and were presumably for the power (black & red) and 6X9 woofers. I assume the middle harness is for the door speakers...2 coming into the amp & 8 out for mids. The left harness...4 coming in & 6 out for tweeters and center. Not sure how it gets "turned on" though? Is there a turn on wire?
Yes, there is a remote enable wire. This also requires special speakers. The front door speakers are 3 ohms. The center speaker is 6 ohms. The rear door speakers are 6 ohms. Tweeters are 4 ohms. Rear subs are 2.5 ohms. It is hard to find speakers to match this.

Amplifier X1
Pin 1 = Right subwoofer speaker +
Pin 2 = Left subwoofer speaker -
Pin 3 = Left subwoofer speaker +
pin 4 = Battery positive voltage
Pin 5 = Right subwoofer speaker -
6-7 not occupied
Pin 8 = ground

Amplifier X2
1- Left front speaker +
2- Left front speaker -
3- Left rear speaker +