Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got an extra Cruze Pioneer amplifier for cheap and decided to take it apart to see what was inside.

IMG_2208.JPG

It has two ST Electronics TDA7850 amplifier chips. These have 4 channels each and are 80 watts at 2 ohms impedance, or 50 watts at 4 ohms impedance. That makes 8 channels total, although the Cruze only has 7 channels (2x front, 1x center, 2x rear, 2x sub). They also have a stand-by and mute function, but no LAN capabilities. The Pioneer amp does not connect to the GM-LAN for DTCs.

It also has a digital sound processor. It uses a Texas Instruments TAS3108 Digital Signal processor combined with a Renesas M16C 16 bit microcontroller, which has a built-in 18 channel A/D converter. Although, I don't know if the amp uses this A/D converter because it also has a Texas Instruments PCM1802 A/D converter on the board. And, it has a TI PCM1609 D/A converter on board.

Other than that, there are a bunch of op-amps, a voltage regulator and all the required components to run these.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. this is the amplifier used in the Pioneer Premium audio system on the Cruze. RPO code UQA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram for this? I was going to pull one from a wrecked Cruze at LKQ last week, but I forgot my wire cutters to get the pig tails too... From what I could tell, there are 3 separate wire harnesses, each with 3 different wire gauges. The first one on the left has the thinnest gauge, maybe 20-22 and 10 wires. Middle has probably 14-16 gauge wires and 10 there as well. The one on the right only had 6, maybe 10-12 gauge and were presumably for the power (black & red) and 6X9 woofers. I assume the middle harness is for the door speakers...2 coming into the amp & 8 out for mids. The left harness...4 coming in & 6 out for tweeters and center. Not sure how it gets "turned on" though? Is there a turn on wire?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a wiring diagram for this? I was going to pull one from a wrecked Cruze at LKQ last week, but I forgot my wire cutters to get the pig tails too... From what I could tell, there are 3 separate wire harnesses, each with 3 different wire gauges. The first one on the left has the thinnest gauge, maybe 20-22 and 10 wires. Middle has probably 14-16 gauge wires and 10 there as well. The one on the right only had 6, maybe 10-12 gauge and were presumably for the power (black & red) and 6X9 woofers. I assume the middle harness is for the door speakers...2 coming into the amp & 8 out for mids. The left harness...4 coming in & 6 out for tweeters and center. Not sure how it gets "turned on" though? Is there a turn on wire?
Yes, there is a remote enable wire. This also requires special speakers. The front door speakers are 3 ohms. The center speaker is 6 ohms. The rear door speakers are 6 ohms. Tweeters are 4 ohms. Rear subs are 2.5 ohms. It is hard to find speakers to match this.

Amplifier X1
Pin 1 = Right subwoofer speaker +
Pin 2 = Left subwoofer speaker -
Pin 3 = Left subwoofer speaker +
pin 4 = Battery positive voltage
Pin 5 = Right subwoofer speaker -
6-7 not occupied
Pin 8 = ground

Amplifier X2
1- Left front speaker +
2- Left front speaker -
3- Left rear speaker +