Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Install of HID fogs??

3383 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  MP81
Hey new to this forum but I've own a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT RS since early 2012 and tinted the windows tail lights and put 8000k HID headlights put in! I recently ordered 8000k HID fogs but not too sure on how to get to the fogs or the HID install procedure! Can someone help me?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Ha, was thinking about going back to kerosene lamps, were very reliable before electrical systems came out.

Fogs like anything else in these things are BCM controlled, is a relay on the lower board in that underhood fuse/relay box, but the fuse is on the top board. Pin 31 on the front connector that requires a very special female terminal to plug into that empty terminal slot.

Not sure if HID's will cause interference with other BCM electronic controlled devices. Your 2011 should still be programmed for fogs. Think they quit doing this in the 2013 models so your dealer could charge you an extra hundred bucks to reprogram it. More interested in serving dealers than their customers.

Can always add your own switch, sure to depreciate the value of your car. Most mods do this.

· Registered
22 Posts
Unless they need more power (I know nothing of HID's besides they're brighter) you should be able to just change the stock bulbs with the new ones. Head on over to the tutorial for fog light installs and you will be able to see how to get to the bulbs. Really you just need to take off the plastic panel underneath the front bumper. There's quite a bit of screws and clips but it won't take long. I'd recommend jacking the front end up a bit for easier reach.

· Registered
208 Posts
You're going to receive a lot of heat for wanting to do HIDs in anything. I just replaced my foglights with some PIAA yellow fogs and while the light output might seem brighter, I mostly just did it for looks.

· Registered
67 Posts
You're going to receive a lot of heat for wanting to do HIDs in anything. I just replaced my foglights with some PIAA yellow fogs and while the light output might seem brighter, I mostly just did it for looks.
Here comes the heat... :tongue:

You really shouldn't put HIDs in a stock headlight housings - stock housings are reflector housings which do not accurately aim the light.
This isn't a big deal with halogen lights, because they're not incredibly bright.
However, with HID's you will blind the **** out of everybody.
People will utter curses on you, which may or may not cause your genitals to fall off.
It depends how effective they are at curses.:cussing:

HIDs should only be used in projector housings, which have a lens that focuses the light low.
Typically they also have a 'cutoff' that blocks light above the equator of the lens.

Moving on...

Installing HID fog lights (EDIT: your stock fog lights may or may not be projector housings depending on model year)

1. Mount the ballast somewhere inside the bumper... Use zipties ideally, or screw it onto something that is safe to put screws into.
2. Plug the output of the ballast into the new bulb
3. Plug the input of the ballast into the existing fog light plug (typically it's an option for the kits to be plug'n'play, otherwise you have to tap into wires on your factory harness).
4. Aim them and enjoy:th_coolio:

NOTE:
Since HID's require much higher amperage to ignite than halogen bulbs, I highly recommend you use a relay to power the ballast straight from the battery.
This is also typically an option with the kits.
The relay uses a signal from your factory harness (the wire which used to provide power to your stock bulb), but pulls power directly from the battery via a fuse tap, or separate wire run to a battery post.

Without the relay, you may have issues with your HID's lighting up all the time. Also the factory wires (or modules!!) might get hot because they were not intended to handle that much current!

· Registered
67 Posts
Is this really the case? I was under the impression that they were Halogen. Would love to be wrong.
They are halogen, but they are in projector housings.

Reflector vs projector is the type of housing.

Halogen (top) vs HID (bottom) is the type of bulb.
HID bulbs also require a ballast to provide AC voltage, since your car battery is DC voltage.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,130 Posts
Pretty sure Cruze fogs are reflectors...

Reactions: Foo Fighter

· COTM Winner
7,130 Posts
Yeah, yours are new for 2015.

· Registered
67 Posts
So the 2015 actually bring Projector Fog Lights. While the 2014 and below are Halogen. So with the OP's being a 2012, HID's are not the best thing to add to his Halogen Fog light setup.
All years still use halogen bulbs from the factory, but yes you are correct.
If the OP has reflector fog light housings then he should not put HID bulbs in them.

In a 2015 with the projector housings, you could safely install an HID foglight kit.

· COTM Winner
7,130 Posts
You might be able to retrofit with the Matchbox projectors from TRS, assuming they fit. Not sure if anyone has tried that yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.