Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cruze manual indicates an "average fuel economy" and an "Instant fuel economy" but I can only find the "average fuel economy" which can be reset. Somewhere I read that only the Eco Model Cruze with the 1.8 engine has the "Instant..." I was also told that it had something to do with the "Trip 1" and Trip 2" readout. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Thanks :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
yes..only the 'eco' model comes with instant fuel economy..which i find is odd...did GM do it on purpose? because i for one would like to know what my instant reading were..rather than constantly resetting the 'average' readout and not keeping the tank average in memory

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd like to have this feature also. The 2011 Equinox I got as a loaner when I took my Cruze in for all the service bulletin items had this feature. It was nice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cruze Eco.....

According to the Chevrolet web site the ECO model is equipped with the 1.4 liter turbo and is the only model with the "Actual (Instant) Fuel Economy" DIC readout. It will be interesting to see how drivers cope with the manual shifting obeying the "Shift Light".....:rolleyes:. I think the DIC readout for Actual Fuel Economy will be a necessary tool to help drivers learn to shift properly for reaching that up to 42 MPG rating. And they thought shifting the stick would be all fun........well, once in 6th gear and cruising at legal speeds all should be well. Time will tell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know the ECO model is "specially formulated" for MPG but the "instant" display would be handy for everyone.

How do we go about petitioning GM to add the functionality back into non-ECO model Cruzes? :) Since ECO has it and the same engine I'd have to think this is a software issue, not hardware... ??

-jk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know the ECO model is "specially formulated" for MPG but the "instant" display would be handy for everyone.

How do we go about petitioning GM to add the functionality back into non-ECO model Cruzes? :) Since ECO has it and the same engine I'd have to think this is a software issue, not hardware... ??

-jk
And you'd be right. the only difference is that in averaged readouts, the sensor data is logged and is constantly being divided by. the instant readout uses the same sensor data, but is not logged. it's real time, and forgets the last MPG calculation number immediately.

that's it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would like an instant MPG readout also. Planning on getting a scangauge or ultra gauge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
LIFE!

--

Hello,

What you would want to do is follow this link:

Chevy | Help - Contact Us | Chevrolet

From there, you can choose your method of contact. I do document these emails, but I think following the link would be your best route. Thank you for your suggestions and have a great day!

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
167 Posts
Geoff is a GM Rep on the Trailblazer boards, and he's gotten us results in the past. he's a swell fella and he says start there. it's not home plate by any means (never is), but it's at least the bat to get the show started.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Geoff is a GM Rep on the Trailblazer boards, and he's gotten us results in the past. he's a swell fella and he says start there. it's not home plate by any means (never is), but it's at least the bat to get the show started.
So I followed the link to the main page and chose "Make a product suggestion". That link sent me to GM's Intellectual Property site because it thought I was submitting a patentable "new device"... ugh.. nope.

SO I just submitted a standard "product question" eMail... did the best write-up I could to explain the situation. Perhaps if more people do that we can build some kind of momentum within GM...

Thanks guys!

-jk

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I emailed GM using the form that was suggested on page. I received the following reponse.. lmao:

Thank you for signing up to receive updates on the all-new 2012 Chevrolet Sonic. Keep your eyes peeled for more information on what’s next for Sonic as we get closer to its release in Fall 2011.

·
Registered
16 Posts
...that's what I initially got, too, but a useless follow-on email came a little later.
Same here.... the eMail I received this morning asked me to re-submit my idea via their "new devices" website... a patentable device website.

C'mon GM... we're just trying to make a request for a simple functional improvement to an existing vehicle... not a patentable device...

This SO reminds me of the old-style "Suggestions" box at work... the one you KNOW the boss emptied once a quarter directly into the trash can.

-jk

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
So I received a call from GM Marketing today in reponse to my email.
The person who called was extremely rude once I pointed out his failure:

He stated the Cruze DOES have an instant fuel economy read out, and I rebuttled with "only the ECO model does" and then he re-read something and stated that if my model does not have the option, there's no way to add it.

He would not redirect my request to Engineering or any other department, insisting they would just pass it back to the Marketing team and it would go no where - so he was not willing to do that.

My first bad experience with GM :(

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I also just sent something in via that e-mail path. I'll post something if I get some kind of response back

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I got an e-mail back about the Instant MPG. Here is what it said

"Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to the possibility of getting the instant MPG feature for other Cruze models.

Based on the nature of your inquiry, we would like to get more information from you. It would be best to contact you by phone to allow us a better opportunity to assist you and ensure that you are completely satisfied."

Now I don't know about you guys, but I'm confused about how they need more information from me. I thought what I said was clear, especially since it's something that can be taken care of by a simple software update.

Should I call back or just leave it at that? I don't like these help lines because I usually spend 30 minutes on the phone to answer 3 questions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts