Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I talked to them, and she didn't even understand what I was asking about. But in the end she said something about not being able to update things that are not on the vehicle?? She called me at a terrible time and I could only half pay attention, but from what I gathered (remembered) she says it's not possible to produce some kind of software update to have that function since it wasn't part of the original equipment on anything but the ECO model.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
...maybe we should be complaining very LOUDLY to GM to "re-activate" this function in keeping with its explicitly stated existance per our Owners Manuals?!?!

Especially since all it really should take is a software update at the dealer to have this feature. The computer is already calculating the mpg data, every US cruze but the ECO just doesn't display it.

Anyone with a scanguageII can see this data from the OBDII port under the dash.

·
Registered
103 Posts
something smells fishy with this

i've said it before....the lack of the instant fuel economy display except on the eco..sounds like it was purposely left out....there's definitely no cost to have had on the original production run...i wish someone from gm would honestly answer to this...

big question now..can it be added through a software upgrade?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Here's what my owners manual says:

"Not all items are available on every vehicle. The following is a list of all of the possible menu items:
. Trip 1 or Trip 2
. Fuel Range
. Average Fuel Economy or
Average Fuel Economy and
Instantaneous Fuel Economy

They have already said in it that not all options may be available so their covered on that aspect

·
Registered
103 Posts
instaneous fuel economy on all 2012 models

well..you know when buying 'first year' models...there's always going to be buyer remorse for not waiting...even for the simplest of things you would of thought GM should have included..

but GM has told me...

2012 all cruzes will have an updated memory cluster with more memory...so i guess only the ECO included the increased memory this year..

and no you can't upgrade the software...so scan guage and other aftermarket addon's are the way to go...even so ..scan guage can give you a reading on 4 things at once..whereas this DIC can only show one...which is a pain when wanting to see 2 things at once...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I test drove a 2011 USA Cruze LTZ Auto before purchasing my car... and it DID have instantanious fuel mileage. I was a little upset to find that my LTZ RS that I ordered did not have the instant mileage.

I know it may be a little hard to believe, but I think it had an older flash. I remember the tranny shifts/response not being quite as nice as what my car has. And it seemed to almost shutoff when first pushing down the gas pedal. It was awful low on gas though.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
well..you know when buying 'first year' models...there's always going to be buyer remorse for not waiting...even for the simplest of things you would of thought GM should have included..

but GM has told me...

2012 all cruzes will have an updated memory cluster with more memory...so i guess only the ECO included the increased memory this year..

and no you can't upgrade the software...so scan guage and other aftermarket addon's are the way to go...even so ..scan guage can give you a reading on 4 things at once..whereas this DIC can only show one...which is a pain when wanting to see 2 things at once...
I love my scangauge because you can mount it up on the dash and you can keep your eyes on your mpg/mph/rpm and whatever else temp/volt/avg mpg for the trip

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like I said, some people will not believe me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I test drove a 2011 USA Cruze LTZ Auto before purchasing my car... and it DID have instantanious fuel mileage. I was a little upset to find that my LTZ RS that I ordered did not have the instant mileage.

I know it may be a little hard to believe, but I think it had an older flash. I remember the tranny shifts/response not being quite as nice as what my car has. And it seemed to almost shutoff when first pushing down the gas pedal. It was awful low on gas though.
i'm sure you didn't see instanteous either...on a test drive..alot of the features are a blur..because you are so overwhelmed with the moment.....it took me awhile to appreciate that i didn't have the instanteous feature on mine either....but it's a fact ...sorry....GM told me there's no such thing as a software flash upgrade for the DIC...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I understand what all of you are saying. But we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. I know the difference between the two, and I realize that none of our cars have it. I have owned two cars already that have had the instantaneous mpg display, and I actually made it a point to look for it. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my opinion, that instantaneous feature thing is POINTLESS. lol.
at one point it said 99 MPG...
after a few times of looking at it while i was driving, different speeds...
i found it pointless. i just keep my option screen thing on Speed or Fuel Used.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
In my opinion, that instantaneous feature thing is POINTLESS. lol.
at one point it said 99 MPG...
after a few times of looking at it while i was driving, different speeds...
i found it pointless. i just keep my option screen thing on Speed or Fuel Used.
When an instant MPG readout goes to 99mpg, it usually indicates your car is in DFCO(Deceleration Fuel Cutoff), you are coasting & using no fuel at all.

However instant MPG readout is always fluctuating because of road surface changes, grade, wind speed, & load on engine. Watching these changes will make you start & see what types of routes to avoid to increase your MPG.
Its also nice when you see can everytime your Cruise control downshifts the tranny on hills you are only getting 12mpg(or less) because of the extra load you put on your engine trying to hold a set speed up a hill. To increase MPG in hills its better to not use cruise control. The difference between using cruise control & not on a hilly trip maybe 5mpg or more.

These are just a couple examples of how an instant readout could help Improve your MPG. With a bit of study of this data can give you better overall foot control for every driving situation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I thought it was odd they omitted this feature on most of the Cruzes, as far as I know all GM vehicles that had a trip computer have read both instant and average MPG going all the way back to the 90's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bumping the thread... but also asking if anyone has heard anything about this subject lately?

I also noticed that the 2012 Cruze will come with a different gear ratio, thus lowering RPM's at higher speeds... like us crazies out west where we can hit 80+ on our drive into work each morning. The 2011 came with 3.87 (if memory serves) which is nice for an "off the line" kick in the pants but SUCKS for higher speed gas mileage...

I'm still hoping for an Instant MPG in my 2011... I used that extensively in my 2002 Isuzu Axiom to learn pedal control... I was able to get 22+MPG average for the Axiom when most folks were 18-19...

-john k.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Just get a ScanGauge II if you want instant FE readouts. Much cheaper than a cluster swap.

My 2012 has instant FE readouts, but I'm still going to use my SGII once it's back from being updated. It's nice to see instant and average at the same time.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.