Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this because it doesn't really fit any of the other Gen2 categories, so please move it where it fits.

I just got my first detailed insurance renewal with my Cruze TD on it. It's the most expensive vehicle I have now. It's more than my 2013 Traverse, more than my VW Jetta TDI was, more than the beater I insure my daughter on. In the line item breakdown, it's the collision coverage that's pretty much double what it is on any other vehicle I own. Might be time to shop my insurance coverage, but it's surprising to me that a small, domestic car is rated as the most expensive to repair out of everything I have.

What's everyone else seeing with their collision coverage on Cruzes? Maybe it is a diesel thing?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
My 15 Cruze ctd went up a fair amount. Not sure why a new 17 Cruze diesel manual would be that expensive.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,670 Posts
It shouldn't cost any more than the gas Cruze...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
$64/mo full coverage, $250 deductible w/ Progressive. 16.5 Premier. Didn't really change from my 2012. I think I've been with them since 2009/10.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Scanned our existing home/auto insurance policies along with my wife's and my driver's license, did a net search for the highest rated insurance companies, this way, they had all the information they required to quote their rates. Emailed over a dozen of them.

Only comment I am going to make, the ones that advertise on TV are the worse. Probably shouldn't say anything about Progressive, drunk that totaled our Cruze had that, but I let my insurance company fight with them so I didn't have to. Pulled every dirty trick in the book to get us to sign that release, both for injuries and the vehicle damage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What coverage is that the minimum ? 10,000/30,000. ???

I have 100/300. And it's 1100,00 a year.

$64/mo full coverage, $250 deductible w/ Progressive. 16.5 Premier. Didn't really change from my 2012. I think I've been with them since 2009/10.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts

[FONT=&quot]$50,000 each person[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$100,000 each accident[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$50,000 each accident[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts

$1100 for our State sounds about right. Switching from $25K/$50K to $100K/$300K coverage only cost me an extra $30 per year. Progressive did something so horrible to me when I first moved to Miami that I would warn anyone never to consider Flo or her Snapshot. Perhaps if she washed it?:eek7:

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Lots of factors are considered with insurance, credit, and zip code, and obviously coverages, and deductibles. So comparing here is almost useless.

·
2,170 Posts
I totally understand that lots of factors are at play for rates. But it's nice to see what others are paying.

I have progressive for all my vehicles. The cars have full coverage and 50K/person 100K per accident and 50K uninsured/under insured drive and $500 deductible. I've been with progressive since 2011 when I got my '06 Ninja 250. I only had my motorcycles with progressive until I turned 25 then I stopped paying my parents to be on their insurance. Then I added my Cruze to my policy 3 months ago, and added the MX-5 last week. I payed in full for 6 months to get a discount.

'16 MX-5 - $73/mo
'14 Cruze - $85/mo

The bike has liability only with comprehensive, and half the coverage (25K per person, 50k per accident, 25K uninsured/under insured motorist and $500 deductible) I pay in full for 1 year to get a discount.

'13 Ninja 300 - $8/mo

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of factors are considered with insurance, credit, and zip code, and obviously coverages, and deductibles. So comparing here is almost useless.
Indeed, but one might determine if a specific vehicle is running higher than other vehicles where all other factors are equal, which is what I was trying to tease out. All things being equal, my Cruze just became the most expensive thing I insure, and I have a menagerie of vehicles. It strikes me as odd that an economy car from a domestic maker would be more expensive to insure than a comparable vehicle from a European maker or larger, more expensive vehicles from the same domestic maker.

I've been with Farm Bureau for close to 20 years -- that got me a discount on my Cruze through some incentive or other when I bought it too. FB has always been cheaper any time I've shopped around in the past and they've taken good care of us when we've had claims. I'll probably give my agent a call to see if they have an explanation for why a little ol' Cruze is so expensive, but I was curious first if perhaps other Cruze owners had already seen that their car was expensive to insure.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I have a diesel in Australia and pay around $800 per year ($600US) and that includes $10 million if I hit something expensive. We also have a $650 excess charge if at fault. We have a separate insurance for personal injury which depends on your driving record for price, this is compulsory for every registered vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Some of you from what you wrote have pretty low coverages for liability. All I am saying is unless you are comparing exact same coverage in same zipcode with similiar credit, it is pointless. I live in the suburbs of Indy, if I lived in Indy just a few miles from me my insurance would be higher that is with one variable being the zip code. Again, comparing folks rates across state lines, country lines, and various coverages is like apples and oranges, they are both fruit but quite different.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Some of you from what you wrote have pretty low coverages for liability. All I am saying is unless you are comparing exact same coverage in same zipcode with similiar credit, it is pointless. I live in the suburbs of Indy, if I lived in Indy just a few miles from me my insurance would be higher that is with one variable being the zip code. Again, comparing folks rates across state lines, country lines, and various coverages is like apples and oranges, they are both fruit but quite different.
Yes you mentioned most of this before. In some states like California, Hawaii or Massachusetts Credit can't be used in underwriting auto insurance policies

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, is your Cruze your only car? If not, how does it stack up against your other vehicles and specifically in the collision category where mine is almost double my other vehicles in the same zip code with identical credit?

The car itself gets rated by the insurance industry and if for some reason it's a stinker on repair costs, it will be higher everywhere when compared to other cars owned by the same person, which is what I'm asking.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
So, is your Cruze your only car? If not, how does it stack up against your other vehicles and specifically in the collision category where mine is almost double my other vehicles in the same zip code with identical credit?

The car itself gets rated by the insurance industry and if for some reason it's a stinker on repair costs, it will be higher everywhere when compared to other cars owned by the same person, which is what I'm asking.
I currently own three cars/trucks, the other two are older and not a fair comparison plus I have a 21 year old driver on my insurance until the end of the month. I work for a major insurance company even though I don't personally sell property and casualty insurance. If I were you, I would check your credit report to ensure something isn't out there effecting your insurance you are not aware of. If nothing abnormal there, I would suggest getting exact same quotes for coverages you currently have from other providers in your area.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
All depends on your assets for the amount of coverage, had both friend and relatives hit by people that were dead broke, and if they weren't carrying collision, would be out of a vehicle. Culprit gets a stiff fine, but the government gets that money and not you.

If you do have a couple of bucks, watch out, so only carry the maximum coverage. Another bit of BS, not bragging, but at my old age, had zero claims against my home and auto insurance, then suddenly the rates jump up. What the heck is going on? Not you, but we had other home damage or auto claims, why do I have to pay for this? Time to find another insurance company, its endless.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my agent to look into it and the answer is that it's new.

I strongly suspect that when my 2013 Traverse was "new" that it wasn't as expensive as my Cruze, so still no explanation about why a Cruze should be so expensive compared to other vehicles (even when those other vehicles were new.) And I'm pretty sure the cost of my Traverse hasn't dropped since it's no longer "new" either. Insurance costs don't generally go down. :-/

So I guess I'll be shopping it at least to see if other carriers single out the Cruze the same way Farm Bureau is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts