Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I want to remove the foam on my intake for a loader and more responsive driving expierience. Can anyone tell me what the foam is that i should remove?

Thanks -Aus348:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go ahead and rip it off. It's just to make it quieter for grandma when she buys one. Many say that it is to catch bad particles which is BS because that's what the actual filter is for and that foam isn't gonna catch anything. It's not foam by the way. I hope you're talking about the fuzzy stuff that coats one side of the filter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go ahead and rip it off. It's just to make it quieter for grandma when she buys one. Many say that it is to catch bad particles which is BS because that's what the actual filter is for and that foam isn't gonna catch anything. It's not foam by the way. I hope you're talking about the fuzzy stuff that coats one side of the filter.
Well I'm ******, i ripped off the pink foam, everyone said it was foam and this was the only foam....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh dear god. Yeah that pink/orange foam is the foam that makes a seal and holds your filter in place. Well now that you have to buy another one, don't buy a stock one. Sear the forum and but another drop in that is NOT K&N. You get better performance and sounds out of the other aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh dear god. Yeah that pink/orange foam is the foam that makes a seal and holds your filter in place. Well now that you have to buy another one, don't buy a stock one. Sear the forum and but another drop in that is NOT K&N. You get better performance and sounds out of the other aftermarket ones.
I hot glued the pink foam back together and took it for a spin, red lined it a few times for max air flow to see if it would break, it seems to be holding up but I would still like to not take the risk, so where could i get a new filter and which would you recommend, also what are price ranges

side note: I don't want a filter I have to oil etc, (K&N)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wont give out false information so my best suggestion is either ask XtremeRevolution or search the forum. I really don't know the best drop in filter. Sorry. All I do know is that K&N is bad lol

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nothing wrong with a K&N panel filter i run one in my 1.4T.You also get slightly more intake and turbo noise with it.Currently it is also the only high flow filter available as a direct replacement.They are also easy to clean and re oil.I also have a corvette with a 430/HP 383 stroker and a 1970 chevelle SS with a 380/HP 396 and both have had K&N replacement filters for years.

·
Registered
316 Posts
unfortunately with the 1.4t the only replacement aftermarket drop in ive found was the K&N. not bashing K&N as many have ran them for years with no problem myself included on other vehicles. They do let in more fine particles, thats a side effect of the filtration/air flow balance. I have the K&N intake and switched to an AFE dry flow synthetic for ease of maintenance and better filtration with still good flow as I went with a much much larger filter(more media area equals more flow). However when I was running my stock intake box I just deleted the resonator and installed a K&N drop in as that was the only aftermarket filter I could find.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have seen 2 duramax diesels in the last 2 months.Both had GM factory filters not what i would call real dirty either.Those also have a foam pad on them.Both were just about turned inside out and broke the plastic air box filter supports and destroyed the air box.Has to make me wonder if the filter does not almost filter to well.Damaged like that they really were not filtering anything at that point.I cant see a Cruze 1.4T doing that to a GM filter but i just thought you guys may find that interesting i sure did.I do know one thing a durmax is not going to turn a K&N filter inside out

Reactions: spacedout
1 - 9 of 9 Posts