Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've been lurking on here since I bought my 2012 Cruze in 2014 but finally decided to create an account. This website has been a huge help in figuring out the issues with my car. Thanks to everyone on here.

History on car:
PCV x 2
Water pump
Coolant leak x 2
Oil leak
Drum brake adjustment
Rear view mirror keeps falling off the windshield in the summer

So I just got my car back from the dealer a few days ago. I had to take it in because I was having PCV issues for the second time since I've owned the car. The last time this happened was back in 2015 when I was on vacation in Portland. Tonka Chevrolet ended up replacing just the crank case cover (covered under warranty), and I guess it was just a bandaid for the problem.

The dealer replaced the intake manifold, the crank case and a PCV hose (all covered under my extended warranty, Zurich comprehensive coverage).

So my question is, was there a redesign on the intake manifold for the 1.4L engine? The manifold definitely looks smaller and doesn't sit as high up as the one previously on the car. I'll have to take a picture when I have a chance. I searched the website but couldn't find any info on this. Thanks

Never mind guys. I think the new shiny part is just throwing me off. Haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to my knowledge, last I knew GM chooses to totally ignore the problem.
Ignoring customers and wishing we stop complaining is their strategy. I probably won’t be buying another GM....unless it’s an SS.

try replacing your rocker cover and find you a new dealer
Huh? Their repair solved my car issues. I’m just wondering why the new intake manifold looks so different.

·
Administrator
15,603 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been lurking on here since I bought my 2012 Cruze in 2014 but finally decided to create an account. This website has been a huge help in figuring out the issues with my car. Thanks to everyone on here.
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

Here is your new maintenance manual!

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

special coverage 14371: 150K/10 year warranty on the Cruze Water Pump?

FIX: Coolant Odors/Coolant Loss From Reservoir

How-To: Replace 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L Coolant/Water Outlet

Cruze Cabin Odors, Sources, and Resolution Summary

How to Adjust Rear Drum Brakes

Cruze Turbo Oil Feed Line Leak Thread

Oil leak on intercooler charge tube - Intercooler Replaced

Oil leak coming from below oil filter housing

How To: Replace CPASV (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve) Seals

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I'm also new to the site. Been reading threads on here for a while also. Great write ups everywhere. Anyways...

I found a Dorman redesign available that is supposed to be an improved intake manifold that adds a retaining pin the keep the check valve in place. I found one available on AutoZone and the DormanProducts website with part # 615-380.

I'm also aware of the Fix Kit that's available to bypass the OEM manifold check valve.

I'm wondering if anyone has bought the improved Dorman manifold and inspected the part to see if it actually corrects the poor OEM design.

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
Hi, I'm also new to the site. Been reading threads on here for a while also. Great write ups everywhere. Anyways...

I found a Dorman redesign available that is supposed to be an improved intake manifold that adds a retaining pin the keep the check valve in place. I found one available on AutoZone and the DormanProducts website with part # 615-380.

I'm also aware of the Fix Kit that's available to bypass the OEM manifold check valve.

I'm wondering if anyone has bought the improved Dorman manifold and inspected the part to see if it actually corrects the poor OEM design.
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

What's the point when the fix is cheaper and works.

[h=1]GM 1.4L Turbo Intake Manifold PCV Valve Fix Kits[/h]
Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What's the point when the fix is cheaper and works.
Hey, at least Dorman cares and attempts to fix it, gotta respect it (when GM won't). It's also easier than drilling holes, using epoxy, cleaning the manifold, etc. Drop in and go, yes it costs a ton more, but to the right person...

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
Hey, at least Dorman cares and attempts to fix it, gotta respect it (when GM won't). It's also easier than drilling holes, using epoxy, cleaning the manifold, etc. Drop in and go, yes it costs a ton more, but to the right person...
To each his own, but at least I will not be doing the replacement more than once.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To each his own, but at least I will not be doing the replacement more than once.
But if the Dorman intake manifold fixes the problem, why not use that product? Especially if it won't void your warranty unlike the Fix Kit. Also, if your car is under warranty and you find a dealer that will "bandaid" repair the issue (even if using another faulty intake manifold), that's money not spent for the short term of things. I'd agree with going the Fix Kit route AFTER the car is out of warranty IMO.

And like one person said, take out, drop in and go. Sometimes it's not always about cost, convenience or otherwise. Indeed, to each their own.

I've seen the same Dorman part number on Ebay as well. I haven't yet compared the Dorman part number to the OEM one but I think the OEM is an AC Delco part. Don't know the AC Delco part number but it's on the GM Parts Direct website.

Has anyone attempted to check out the Dorman part to see if it actually corrects the OEM faults?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, the Dorman website has the OEM part numbers for the OEM manifold listed on their page with the redesign.

Might be a good idea to persuade your dealer to use that part if you're right at the end of your warranty.

OE Part Numbers listed are: 25200449, 55577314, 55581014

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
But if the Dorman intake manifold fixes the problem, why not use that product? Especially if it won't void your warranty unlike the Fix Kit. Also, if your car is under warranty and you find a dealer that will "bandaid" repair the issue (even if using another faulty intake manifold), that's money not spent for the short term of things. I'd agree with going the Fix Kit route AFTER the car is out of warranty IMO.

And like one person said, take out, drop in and go. Sometimes it's not always about cost, convenience or otherwise. Indeed, to each their own.

I've seen the same Dorman part number on Ebay as well. I haven't yet compared the Dorman part number to the OEM one but I think the OEM is an AC Delco part. Don't know the AC Delco part number but it's on the GM Parts Direct website.

Has anyone attempted to check out the Dorman part to see if it actually corrects the OEM faults?
Well, I don't recall saying anything about not going to the dealer under warranty, I would also use any warranty left first, but installing the kit does not void your warranty and it permanently fixes the problem. For the moment, I will have to trust that Dorman actually made a design change, but it is still unproven at this time. The kit is, so I stand by my original statement.

·
Administrator
15,603 Posts

If your car is under warranty, why are you throwing on an aftermarket part? Let the dealer deal with it. The fix kit won't void your warranty; no modification will unless the dealer can prove that the modification caused the problem, and in this case, ALL factory PCV functions have been retained.

The Dorman intake is plagued with the same problem; a little check valve you can't service. They say that they put something behind it so it doesn't disappear, but that doesn't mean anything; that simply means you'll see it since the service manual's diagnosis on this issue is entirely visual. That doesn't mean it works. I've had people with less than 100k miles inspect their issue according to MY instructions (per my video on youtube) and found that they had no crankcase vacuum because that check valve was stuck, and their car was burning oil. Furthermore, I've had people who had the check valve in place but it was leaking badly and creating a boost leak that resulted in reduced efficiency. In both cases, the GM diagnosis procedure would have given it a "pass," but it would still have been broken and in need of replacement.

The design is garbage. Replacing the intake manifold with another using the same design is at best a short term solution that still costs you more than what is proving to be a permanent fix. Might not be a bad idea if you just want to get rid of the vehicle soon and want to put as little effort into it as possible, but even then, my kit is about half the cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Xtreme- I am starting to get consistent failure and need to take it to a local dealer. My unfounded feeling- just based on previous dealer encounters over many years- is that it won't get fixed.
However will try the warranty path first.

In the long term, it looks like I will need to do the modification.

·
Premium Member
7,621 Posts
Thanks Xtreme- I am starting to get consistent failure and need to take it to a local dealer. My unfounded feeling- just based on previous dealer encounters over many years- is that it won't get fixed.
However will try the warranty path first.

In the long term, it looks like I will need to do the modification.
Ask if you can get the old part back. Then you can pre-mod it so it's ready when needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
KurtK
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing