Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with an intake put on tuned a Cruze? As in, will there be any noticeable gains for fuel economy, noise, throttle response, or power?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,005 Posts
Noise is about all you can expect w/o a tune. The car limits torque to 148 ft-lbs no matter what.

Also, some intakes WILL need a tune to read correctly across the MAF. Stick with a well known one developed for the car (K&N, MPFab, and there are a few others) if you don't want a CEL.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Noise is about all you can expect w/o a tune. The car limits torque to 148 ft-lbs no matter what.

Also, some intakes WILL need a tune to read correctly across the MAF. Stick with a well known one developed for the car (K&N, MPFab, and there are a few others) if you don't want a CEL.
How does it limit torque to 148 ft lbs when it's rated for up to 280?

On another note, I believe the only two companies that make an intake for the diesel Cruze are k&n and aem (technically the same company, but two different designs and filters). And the k&n can cause a cel for a lean condition every so often.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I asked Corbin about this at fleece... He said an intake was unnecessary, a drop in may help a little, but he didn't act like it was a big deal either way.

Various others have condemned the short ram intake as the stock air box is basically a cai, while a short ram would make intake temps rise as they enter the turbo.

But noise, they will make some noise.

I'm sure some of the others can give you a better insight.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm guessing it doesn't do anything until you put the oversized turbo and injectors in :happy:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I was thinking, no change without the bigger turbo on there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
do what for 200$??
The intakes are about 200 dollars. Yeah they won't add any power so most people call them a waste of money but if you're a car person and enjoy hearing the sounds of a turbo car, the intake is definitely worth the money. Just that sound of the turbo does make the car much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the k&n intake on my full delete, fleece tuned CTD. It's a noticeable increase in noise, but as someone else mentioned, I feel that it makes it more fun to drive. At least two different passengers have said that they didn't care for the noise, while most others have liked it. It's made my commuting car more fun to drive. I say, go for it. Just my two cents. I noticed no change in power or fuel economy, but I only owned the car got a few weeks before installing in, so not a good judge of how it performed prior to installation regarding fuel economy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question, but could someone tell me what the purpose of this piece is?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered the KnN cai really just for the sound. Lol.
Looks too I guess Was the first mod for my corvette too so why not lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question, but could someone tell me what the purpose of this piece is?

That's basically an intake muffler. It's only purpose is to remove any and all induction sound from the vehicle. If you take it off and look through it, it's actually pretty similar to an exhaust muffler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Indeed - I was a concerned when I first started it up after installing the K&N CAI. Thought I might have had a loose hose clamp or something. Everything was tight. Love the turbo sound now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts