Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking into keeping the factory Intercooler but swapping out the plastic/rubber hoses. I'm looking for opinions or if anybody has done it yet. Thanks guys

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
From what I can tell, the real gains would be from swapping the intercooler itself...especially if you would already go through the hassle of tearing apart the front end to swap the charge pipes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can tell, the real gains would be from swapping the intercooler itself...especially if you would already go through the hassle of tearing apart the front end to swap the charge pipes.
That's kinda what I figured but I can't really see spending over $400 for it

·
1,028 Posts
Without other mods that would take advantage of them, no..probably not.

But with a tune and possibly a more aggressive compression wheel, definitely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine have been "blowin out" or expanded in some places so instead of factory replacement I would like something a little better

·
1,028 Posts
Unless they are leaking, theres no performance loss to them expanding a tad under pressure. I had rubber connectors in my Supra charge piping and that was a lot more airflow than the Cruze's cute little turbo.

What makes you think they are expanding?

·
1,028 Posts
Thats kinda scary, even at the 22 psi or so these little turbos can push, the charge piping should be able to hold on. I will have to defer to more experienced members if this is a known issue.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If your tuned 3rd party, you should have them check out your egts. There hasn't been much for problems found on this platform otherwise. One outlying company makes charge pipe wraps that are silicone and come in different colors. Getting new pipes and these might be your ticket without having custom ones bent and made for you, which is your only option for direct replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
There can be something said for just changing the charge pipes. I totally agree that the intercooler is definitely a modification worth doing. However, I have also blown an intercooler hose clean off and had to remove part of the underpan to reconnect it. And it seems that the tune hasn't been the same. I believe I'm possibly getting some blow by. And replacing the stock piping, would get rid of that god awful elbow that goes in, on the inlet side. Who ever designed that, I have no words....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts