Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
My 2017 Chevy Cruze Premiere is in the shop now because of LSPI - all 4 pistons are being replaced, rings and gaskets. Unfortunately, since GM won't replace the motor, I will be getting rid of the vehicle. No guarantee that the motor isn't already damaged. It's a shame that driving 25 mph can cause LSPI to occur. GM called it a "design flaw", I'm calling it a waste of my money and now when I go car hunting I'll need to stay away from GM, Ford and Honda vehicles as all have been using the same downsized, boosted engines that can easily slip into LSPI.
Although all 4 pistons are being replaced I suspect only one has damage. As long as there is no damage to the bores (and there isn't, otherwise the short block would be replaced) I would not give up on the car so quickly.
Humans assembled the engine on the first go around and a human is assembling the engine now. Odds are this assembly will be more accurately built anyways since the engine isn't being chased down a assembly line.
Although you have not disclosed the current mileage you likely have a lot of powertrain warranty remaining so, why not continue to operate this car once the repairs are completed?

Evidently some type of redesign has taken place since all 4 are being exchanged......likely heftier in areas that needed it so the pistons can handle the occasional high pressure moment......you might end up with a better engine.

Just my thoughts.....but if the service appears well done and sanitary (wire harnesses reclipped, hoses correctly routed, etcetera) I'd say keep on cruzin in this car.

Rob

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
I don't think a borescope is needed since the head is on the workbench, heh heh.

Anyways, trust me on this.....there is no such thing as a dealer (or any real mechanic) willing to put pistons in a damaged bore.....that is a guaranteed comeback.

For whatever it is worth, the genII aluminum block has steel sleeves cast in place. These are so hard they can take a real beating and not be harmed......much more tolerant than the genI cast iron block.

Terry B........I AM retired and fully intend to continue replacing cars.......I hope you are not one of those 'This is gonna be my last car' types.
When I pull out of a dealer with a new ride (two years on average) I'm so excited I can't wait for the next one!

Anyways, IMO, don't frett....let them do their thing and report back.....they aren't re-inventing the wheel or anything. To you, sounds major, to me, (semi retired wrench) it's just another repair.

Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.