Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Saw this on Facebook already. Not surprised really. Never used anything but the regular fuel in my previous gas engine vehicles. Now I own my first Diesel and don't have to worry about it at all! :)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I ran 93 octane in my car for 2,000 miles after break-in during summer and winter blend periods. I saw no difference in MPG or perceived performance. I see no reason to run anything but 87 octane in it. Will it be all carbon-ed up after 100K miles? Don't know, but none of my other 87 octane cars were. If I had a first Gen. Crzue, I'd run premium in it during hot weather, but not during periods under 90 degrees F. Don't know when the video was done with their Cruze, but I'd bet it wasn't over 90 there. Also, I'd bet the run with 91 octane wasn't long enough to get the engine system recalibrated properly.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I wanna hear what you all think of this
Typical skewer piece - a lot of "man the in street" and "expose" of what low-end employees are saying about the product.

Two significant things: One, the dyno test was only steady speed. I'd like to see an acceleration test.

Even more telling was the automotive expert: "If I was to go to a race track or something, definitely I would put premium in the car. But, ah, just driving around to and fro, don't need it, not required." Right there he's admitting to a performance difference, but claiming it makes no difference for commuting. And indeed, regular will get you from A to B.

Bottom line, I think this piece is trying its best to be sensational without being fraudulent itself.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Saw this on Facebook already. Not surprised really. Never used anything but the regular fuel in my previous gas engine vehicles. Now I own my first Diesel and don't have to worry about it at all! :)
You don't use premium diesel?

Reactions: BU54

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Here's the real test for your North American Cruze. Check the glove box list of codes. If you see KRD run 91 octane. KRD is the code that states the engine is designed for 91 octane, not 87.

Also, small turbo charged engines really do need the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition (what Octane measures) of the gas vapors. The turbo increases the effective compression in the cylinders, which increases the chance of uncontrolled fuel ignition. Higher octane reduces this chance.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
No matter what grade of gasoline you run, it is recommended that you use a Top Tier Gasoline.

There are so many on the market now that there's really no excuse for not doing so. Cripes, even Costco is a Top Tier.

Top Tier Gasoline

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
small turbo charged engines really do need the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition (what Octane measures) of the gas vapors. The turbo increases the effective compression in the cylinders, which increases the chance of uncontrolled fuel ignition. Higher octane reduces this chance.
I have owned and driven 4 cyl turbo cars since the early 1970's. I have only used premium fuel in my turbo cars.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I won't run anything except 91/93 in my ECO MT. Even in the winter it's worth not having to worry "is it going above 70 this afternoon?".

·
Registered
692 Posts
I use at least 91 most of the time, always top tier. But, I will not keep my car the full five years of my loan, so my thoughts are, what does it really matter. I'm not going to keep my car till it dies. And I have not found that my gas mileage is much different. I will do my oil changes religiously, and take care of my car. But whether I use 93 octane, and whether I use the Best oil, it doesn't really matter I believe.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I use at least 91 most of the time, always top tier. But, I will not keep my car the full five years of my loan, so my thoughts are, what does it really matter. I'm not going to keep my car till it dies. And I have not found that my gas mileage is much different. I will do my oil changes religiously, and take care of my car. But whether I use 93 octane, and whether I use the Best oil, it doesn't really matter I believe.
I run 91 octane simply for drivability. I suspect the manual transmission drivers feel the difference in octane a lot more because the power difference changes when we shift.

·
10,712 Posts
My take is my car knows when I did use 87 from all the knock and power robbed. Manual trans you knew power is going to the wheels vs is the auto trans just being hesitant on responding to throttle inputs? Even in the winter I had some drivability issues on it. If I never got tuned and only used 87, I literally would have traded in and took the huge hit 2 years ago. That's how bad my car is on 87.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Here's the real test for your North American Cruze. Check the glove box list of codes. If you see KRD run 91 octane. KRD is the code that states the engine is designed for 91 octane, not 87.
My Eco 6MT does NOT show code KRD on my glove box list nor can I find that code anywhere on the interweb. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think the biggest issue is when the gas companies are saying one has more cleaner than the others which I believe is not true anymore. Octane does make a difference if you want full advertised power. Lower octane than is rated will cause a slight loss of power. Octane also makes a difference if you drive the car hard or drive like a grandma.

I do notice a difference between 87 and 93. We also don't know if that was turbo cruze.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have a '13 cruze like in the video and I get 10%+ more MPG using 93 over 87.
Not sure what they did wrong? Perhaps they didn't wait long enough for the engines computer to fully adjust to the higher octane fuel?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I have a '13 cruze like in the video and I get 10%+ more MPG using 93 over 87.
Not sure what they did wrong? Perhaps they didn't wait long enough for the engines computer to fully adjust to the higher octane fuel?
Probably did the test when it was cold out. Heat makes a huge difference in how the car responds to 87.

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Probably did the test when it was cold out. Heat makes a huge difference in how the car responds to 87.
It is not just with 87. In Cincinnati, we have 3 choices 87 89 and 93. 87 forget it I may have used that for the first few weeks when I bought my car, 89 is not too bad but I can still notice difference (MPG and power from 93) Last 2 tanks have been 89 and both @ 30 MPG. 93 it feels like the car is alive again.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
For the dyno test, both were wearing long sleeve shirts. The host was wearing an undershirt. "Mr. Expert" was wearing a coat. I think it's safe to say it wasn't 90F out. Probably not even 80F.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts