Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Interesting news report on Premium vs Regular gas

20K views 95 replies 33 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 ·
I wanna hear what you all think of this

#2 ·
Saw this on Facebook already. Not surprised really. Never used anything but the regular fuel in my previous gas engine vehicles. Now I own my first Diesel and don't have to worry about it at all! :)

#3 ·
I ran 93 octane in my car for 2,000 miles after break-in during summer and winter blend periods. I saw no difference in MPG or perceived performance. I see no reason to run anything but 87 octane in it. Will it be all carbon-ed up after 100K miles? Don't know, but none of my other 87 octane cars were. If I had a first Gen. Crzue, I'd run premium in it during hot weather, but not during periods under 90 degrees F. Don't know when the video was done with their Cruze, but I'd bet it wasn't over 90 there. Also, I'd bet the run with 91 octane wasn't long enough to get the engine system recalibrated properly.

#4 ·
Typical skewer piece - a lot of "man the in street" and "expose" of what low-end employees are saying about the product.

Two significant things: One, the dyno test was only steady speed. I'd like to see an acceleration test.

Even more telling was the automotive expert: "If I was to go to a race track or something, definitely I would put premium in the car. But, ah, just driving around to and fro, don't need it, not required." Right there he's admitting to a performance difference, but claiming it makes no difference for commuting. And indeed, regular will get you from A to B.

Bottom line, I think this piece is trying its best to be sensational without being fraudulent itself.

#6 ·
Here's the real test for your North American Cruze. Check the glove box list of codes. If you see KRD run 91 octane. KRD is the code that states the engine is designed for 91 octane, not 87.

Also, small turbo charged engines really do need the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition (what Octane measures) of the gas vapors. The turbo increases the effective compression in the cylinders, which increases the chance of uncontrolled fuel ignition. Higher octane reduces this chance.

#7 ·
No matter what grade of gasoline you run, it is recommended that you use a Top Tier Gasoline.

There are so many on the market now that there's really no excuse for not doing so. Cripes, even Costco is a Top Tier.

Top Tier Gasoline

Reactions: Merc6
#37 · (Edited)
No matter what grade of gasoline you run, it is recommended that you use a Top Tier Gasoline.

There are so many on the market now that there's really no excuse for not doing so. Cripes, even Costco is a Top Tier.

Top Tier Gasoline
What gets me is how do we know the fuel is a high quality? Reason I ask is while I was at our Exxon station filling up there was a tanker truck filling up the stations tanks. I talked to the driver and he said he not only delivers to Exxon stations but also non Exxon stations like local mom and pop stores. So the whole Top Tier thing kind of gets a wrench thrown in it at this point.

Another is I see really clean and cool looking Sheetz tanker trucks around. Now, do they fill only Sheetz or others like the Exxon truck?

#8 ·
small turbo charged engines really do need the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition (what Octane measures) of the gas vapors. The turbo increases the effective compression in the cylinders, which increases the chance of uncontrolled fuel ignition. Higher octane reduces this chance.
I have owned and driven 4 cyl turbo cars since the early 1970's. I have only used premium fuel in my turbo cars.

#92 · (Edited)
@blk88verde Who made 4 cyl turbo engines in the early 70s??? Earliest I remember were the 4 banger Mustangs of early to mid 80s and the Turbo Esprit.

the Cosworth Vega was a 16 valve non-turbo 4 that required premium, but that's about it....

#9 ·
I won't run anything except 91/93 in my ECO MT. Even in the winter it's worth not having to worry "is it going above 70 this afternoon?".

#10 ·
I use at least 91 most of the time, always top tier. But, I will not keep my car the full five years of my loan, so my thoughts are, what does it really matter. I'm not going to keep my car till it dies. And I have not found that my gas mileage is much different. I will do my oil changes religiously, and take care of my car. But whether I use 93 octane, and whether I use the Best oil, it doesn't really matter I believe.

#11 ·
I run 91 octane simply for drivability. I suspect the manual transmission drivers feel the difference in octane a lot more because the power difference changes when we shift.

#12 ·
My take is my car knows when I did use 87 from all the knock and power robbed. Manual trans you knew power is going to the wheels vs is the auto trans just being hesitant on responding to throttle inputs? Even in the winter I had some drivability issues on it. If I never got tuned and only used 87, I literally would have traded in and took the huge hit 2 years ago. That's how bad my car is on 87.

#14 ·
I think the biggest issue is when the gas companies are saying one has more cleaner than the others which I believe is not true anymore. Octane does make a difference if you want full advertised power. Lower octane than is rated will cause a slight loss of power. Octane also makes a difference if you drive the car hard or drive like a grandma.

I do notice a difference between 87 and 93. We also don't know if that was turbo cruze.

#17 ·
Probably did the test when it was cold out. Heat makes a huge difference in how the car responds to 87.

#23 ·
There was an engine SKU change between 2011 and 2012 so Chevy would only have a single 1.4T and 1.8 engine between the Cruze and Sonic. I wonder...

#24 ·
We really only need two octane ratings 87 and 93, however we have 85 out in the mountains. 89 and 91 some place which is just ridiculous. I read that if everyone in the country and used the same blend of gas and 2 octanes price could drop as much as a dollar a gallon. But because EPA and other stupid regulations we have different gas for different areas.

If one gas is the best and cleanest why not have everyone use it.

#30 ·

If it wasn't for the shade of blue, I was calling Bs on it being a 13. Canadian Cruze sucks with trim levels. How did they have the LS non infotainment wheel? Cruising the car is not calling for power, someone with a auto can chime in and tell us what rpms they are at for that speed?

#31 · (Edited)
Canadian Cruze sucks with trim levels. How did they have the LS non infotainment wheel?
According to at least one Canadian parts house, all LTs are 1.4.

I did discover something interesting with the engine codes (This is according to GMPartsDirect):

2011: LUW
2012: LUW
2013: LWE or a LUW (GAS/Flex)
2014: LWE or a LUW (GAS/Flex)
2015: LWE or a LUW (Flex)

2011: LUJ
2012: LUJ
2013: LUV
2014: LUV
2015: LUV

Cruising the car is not calling for power, someone with a auto can chime in and tell us what rpms they are at for that speed?
What speed are we talking about? I'd have to pay closer attention, but I'd say about 2300 RPM. If it even gets anywhere near 3000, it'll upshift unless it's a hill or you're accelerating.

#32 ·
2013 ECO 6 MT I have driven twice to Florida from Ontario,Canada and once to Alberta from Ontario. In U.S. i put premium gas 93 octane and my recent trip to Alberta i was using a mix of 89,91 octane going west and 87 octane going east. As for the gas mileage i have not seen any improvement in fuel economy weather using premium gas or regular gas. The only difference i have noticed between regular and premium is that premium gas gives me more power.

#34 ·
My 2012 automatic 1.4T runs like complete crap on 87 octane. Hills I drive every day require extra downshifting just to maintain my speed, with 93 octane I sail right over them in 6th gear. Overall my engine load is much lower in all conditions with premium and in the non-stop rolling hills of SW Wisconsin seems to gain me 3-4mpg over what I got the few times I attempted lower grade gas. My car will never get anything less than premium again.

regular gas = drivability issues at least with my 2012.

#36 ·
So you're saying the Canadian report is full o' crap? Actually its common knowledge for those 'In the Know', and the only reason I tried the higher octane was because of that video from the G.M. VP posted here, that and the engine supposedly runs "cooler" which it probably does by expelling unused Gas? Now if we could work on the 'Top Tier' myth as well...

#35 · (Edited)
You can always do your own test. Run two or three tanks of regular 87 and see how it performs and look at the gas mileage. Then do the same for 89 and 91. You need to watch it over time. Also, the car's computer takes a while to readjust to the higher octane.

If you do a lot of freeway driving there should be a noticeable increase in gas mileage from 89 to 91 octane. You should also feel the difference.

If you drive mostly in the city you probably won't see an MPG difference, but you may notice a performance difference.

#38 · (Edited)
Hate to say it BT but Top Tier Gasoline is no more a conspiracy theory or tax than dexos is.

Mom and Pop buy whatever is cheapest on the open market. If that's the occasional tank of the good stuff than so be it. But it could just as easily be the ocassional tank of something else.

Whereas when you buy from a Top Tier Gasoline retailer you know that your getting the good stuff all of the time.

#43 ·
Well no, when you see the same unbranded truck that was at the no name budget station then drive across to the Top Tier place and fill them up with both Stations charging low low prices one must wonder? Do they have special spigots in the same tanker or as some have said here does the tanker driver reach into the cab for the ARCO BP detergent powder and custom mix it as he is delivering product?

#40 ·
I usually use 92+ octane, however, I live in the country, and some stations don't carry anything but 87.....so.....to combat this, I use lucas upper cylinder lube and fuel conditioners. My 2012 eco 1.4 Mt is my first turbo car I plan to modestly build little by little.....but I'm having problems finding any actual performance parts that are not universal. Vermonttuning is the only site along with zzp that I can find parts dyno matched for the weak 1.4ltr. I hope some friends on here will help find some parts.........cheers!!

#41 ·
Btw, I drive for a company we do environmental clean up......all gasoline comes from pipe lines here in the states, and bulk holding tanks......it's all the same gasoline. Octane levels are different, but the fuel is from the same tank.....so......if you want to know more, look up Phillips66, Megellan, Bp......ect. their websites will show where to buy that specific "brand" of fuel. I usually only buy BP, unless I can't then I buy sunoco, or shell.....it's an octane thing.

#42 ·
Yes, the gasoline that most of us end up buying comes typically from holding tanks that are fed by pipelines or rail cars.

As I understand it additive is added to the gasoline when it is placed in the tanker truck. That additive package depends on who you buy your fuel from.

I also read once that GM uses Chevron gasoline for its horsepower and EPA testing - and that they have it specially trucked in from some Chevron facility several hundred miles away.

#44 ·
Sup Eddy .. any of you Goof Balls realize that we have a new Goofie Ball here from Missouri ?

Welcome Blessingshawn !
Now introduce yourself .

#53 ·
Hey j yer writing more and more like Eddy .. what is this pick on Spacedout day ?

#56 ·
Personally I don't think this is accurate. The way they use WHP numbers on dyno makes zero sense in my mind. Its still guna take the same amount of horsepower to move the same car. If weight is the same the engine won't be using less horsepower to move it. Now miles per gallon could obviously change. The motor will be making a stronger combustion if the high grade is actually legit and therefore capable of more power but it'll still put the same amount to the wheels at the same speed. It just won't have to work as hard to give that 6 WHP

2013 Chevy Cruze heading for 275 hp

#57 ·
I get better performance and better mileage running premium in a 2012 1.4 eco, but the cost of the fuel does not negate the increased mileage so I only run the premium every month or so... btw, the computer still claims I am getting 45+ mpg and can go 550+ miles... I rarely get better than 30 and if I am coasting downhill with a good tailwind, I may make it 400 miles per tank!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.