Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a habit of switching over to manual mode to downshift and slow down when I am going downhill and I need to stop at the bottom of the hill. Well, just the other day I discovered that my transmission has "learned" this behavior. When I was going down a hill that I usually downshift on, the transmission did it for me. I am talking about to the lowest gear possible, and over 3000 RPMs. It did that on its own, as if it knew what I would have done. Pretty cool.

Has anybody else noticed other interesting "transmission learning"?

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, the transmission definitely learns hills. I don't downshift manually, except on a hill that's icy, but after a little while of having the car, it started resisting up shifting going down hills so I don't have to brake as much on them it seems. It does a pretty good job at it. My Pontiac Vibe I had a little while back was really good at the hills. It quickly learned to downshift, sometimes a few gears, after I hit the brakes a little going down.

I also noticed the Cruze seems to learn how hard you usually ride it coming from a stop. I go through a week or two at a time where I'll play with the car a lot, then I may go through that much time babying it a bit more. When I start babying it a little more it shifts a little weird for a little while.. a little too rough, then that works itself out.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I rarely use manual mode, but I have noticed that from when I first got the car to now the transmission seems like it has learned how I drive and shifts more to my liking most of the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've noticed that too but I think the transmission over the time is responding more quickly at changing her behavior on 4 parameters, speed vs engine load vs throttle input vs downhill/uphill angle degree, and shifts more accurately depending on those parameters. I'm looking forward the transmission to learn to stop changing gears from 1 to 2 in the traffic so I use manual mode to keep it in second gear.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting feedback on this.

I go down a particular hill where I do this at least 4 to 5 days a week and it has never learned this. How many hills do you go down and how many times a week?
I only downshift on hills maybe once or twice a month as they are not on my usual route.

Did you happen to have the cruise control on? Even with my 1.4T auto if your speed goes above 3mph what your set, it will downshift to try to slow your gaining of speed.
No, cruise was not on during this time, but I know what you are talking about. I never noticed mine downshifting. Going down a hill the car will pick up speed with the cruise on.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this an old thread.

I'm waiting for my transmission to learn that I don't like the first gear whine.:)
You will still be waiting at 185K miles, if my experience is any indication! By the way, mine does in all gears.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Mine seems to know when im driving on time and fuel concise. Ill at most give 40% throttle to speed up but its like it realizes im getting frustrated at fuel driving and after then it starts down shifting more easily

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.