Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reading up on all the posts lately concerning warm-up time on the CTD. I have noted on mine that when the temperature drops below -20C that the CTD takes for ever to warm up. It is especially painful when I park the car for the evening say around 9pm after driving it for a while. The interior is warm and cozy.

In the morning (when it's -25C + wind chill) all the windows are frosted up on the inside from the previous nights warm air left to freeze. I can set the temperature to max to engage the aux heat, set the fan to a speed of 2 or 3, and the airflow to wind-shield. This after a few minutes will clear the wind-shield but not much else. I start driving as soon as I can safely see out the front.

My commute has me on the highway within 5 minutes (street lights co-operating) and then I have a 10-15 minute highway drive. By the end of this drive the CTD temperature gauge is barely past the first quarter mark. I get off the highway and while I sit at the off ramp light I can see the temperature drop on the gauge.

I have spoken to the dealer about this and am waiting for their response as for how to proceed. On temperatures around -14C or above and the CTD heats up great. I am thinking the electrically controled thermostat needs a reprogramming.

Now back to the subject line. Today I took the car through a touch car wash to get the salt off and as I am pulling out of the gas station water begins to run out of the ceiling. It starts to leak right from the overhead console where the switch is for the interior lights. It runs for about 5 -10 seconds. Enough that I had to pull over and clean it up with a couple of tissues.

I took the car straight to the dealership and dropped it off. I asked them if they can drop the interior and check for more water.

When I picked the car up today this is what they suspect was wrong:

"Dropped head liner, water tested - no leaking water getting in but large amounts of condensation above head liner may be caused from the show & cold weather. This melted from the heat of the car wash and caused the water leak."

They blew out the head liner and reassembled.

I am wondering if anyone thinks the excess condensation build up could be as a result of insufficient heating at the cold temperatures I'm having here in Ottawa. Anyone think the dealers reasoning is sound?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Turn on your air conditioning, gets the humidity down inside. Sure it makes your fuel consumption go up a bit, but so will idling for 5 mins waiting to clear your windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I experienced significant fogging the first couple of days I owned mine. I started running the A/C with the heat and have not had an issue since.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had a similar issue with the windows fogging when the air was recirculating, just turning the recirculation off would make it go away.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Make sure you are not in recirc mode on the HVAC, you need fresh dry air from outside to keep the windows clear and humidity down.
If you can plug in the car this helps with the warm up time.
As for the thermostat, I believe it is mechanical not electric on the diesel.

In your area you are likely more often, just below freezing with higher humidity and tracking snow in the car that allows moisture to build up easily in the car. Do you have rubber floor mats? If not get some, this water build up in the carpet really makes it hard to keep the car dry.

I have had that happen on a car w/o a sunroof before, frost built up during colder weather and short trips not drying out the car enough when driving. When the weather got back near freezing water came out of the dome light.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I suspect, the water runoff into the sunroof pan (designed to leak into the pan) was unable to drain properly because your drains were still full of ice.

Try to get this car into a above freezing environment for the night.

Also, although the car looks awful, there isn't a more harmful thing you can do to it in below freezing weather than expose it to a car wash.

Details if you wish.

Rob

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for the replies.

No sun roof in mine. I do plug it in at night to help with starting. Sometimes I wish we had a block heater.
I have weathertech mats that I empty quite often else my pant-legs get wet form the laying water.

I don't usually use recirculating air but I will start keeping an eye on it in-case I've hit the button by mistake.

Can say I've ever tried turning on the AC in the winter. Having both on seems weird.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No sunroof?
Water out of headliner?

Keep in touch......you've REALLY got my attention on this one.

Rob
Will do. The service manager at my dealership is on vacation so I am waiting for him to come back to proceed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Do you run floor/defrost or just defrost once on the road? I have been running fan 4 defrost/floor split and seems to work well. Turn back the temp when it gets to warm. Keeping air moving helps get the moisture out of the car.
I don't think the A/C compressor runs when below freezing, so that won't help.
You may also consider a winter front over the upper grille. This has improved my warm up time on the colder days.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Just crack a rear window the slightest bit, all the moisture will have somewhere to go...It usually doesn't bother me because the heat is so hot once it's rolling anyways

·
Registered
295 Posts
I clean the interior windows with an anti-fog stuff that helped with the condensation problem, but on very cold days as you said it's inevitable condensation will stick on the windows. When I had a garage in winter once a month I over heated it and leave the windows open on the car with a little fan directed on it to dry the interior as much as possible and that's the only way I found to get rid of the condensation.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think TDCruze is right. Moisture is being tracked into the car. The warmth causes it to evaporate - but then it will condense once everything cools off. Something has to be worked out to get the moist air out of the car before it can deposit it where you don't want it.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Bingo.

You may also consider a winter front over the upper grille. This has improved my warm up time on the colder days.
I know this helps with my gas Cruze. Mine's an Eco with the lower grille shutters like the diesel, the shutters will open if the engine needs it. My plan this year was to do about a 2/3 block off to allow a little airflow still, I don't want the shutters working all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Keep in touch......you've REALLY got my attention on this one.
Rob, the dealer's theory is that condensation is freezing in between the roof and headliner and building up. The intense heat of the hot water car wash made this condensation melt all at once, causing the drips inside the car.

While I've never heard of this happening before, it seems to make sense. Maybe... ?

I'm in Ottawa as well but I don't take my car through car washes in the winter. Now I have another reason not to! :)

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
In the morning (when it's -25C + wind chill) all the windows are frosted up on the inside from the previous nights warm air left to freeze.
Exactly the same thing happens with my gas Cruze, so it's not a diesel only issue. These past two weeks have been brutal for this, but when it's a little "warmer" like -10C or warmer it's not as serious.

I've made a habit of cooling the car off before I get to where I'm going, as well as making sure the HVAC fan is running the whole time I'm sitting in the car before getting out (don't sit there with the car off breathing humid air into the car for two minutes before heading out). If I don't want to idle the engine I turn the key off and then back forward so I can run the fan if I have to sit in the car.

The Cruze seems to be a car plagued by interior moisture.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I clean the interior windows with an anti-fog stuff that helped with the condensation problem, but on very cold days as you said it's inevitable condensation will stick on the windows. When I had a garage in winter once a month I over heated it and leave the windows open on the car with a little fan directed on it to dry the interior as much as possible and that's the only way I found to get rid of the condensation.
I'll second the clean the windows. I had the car last winter and it fogged like crazy. Someone here said something about the gasses in the materials the interior of the car is made of can "accumulate" on the window promoting the fogging. I really cleaned the interior of the windows well this year and haven't had any problems with fogging even though we've had some -10s (F) mornings this month.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To cut down on condensation inside the car leave your front windows down a few milimeters on cold CLEAR nights. This will allow dry air to circulate through the car and you wont have inside fog in the morning. Try it it works.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would bet the same as what is being said. As the car warms the heat and humidity naturally rise to the top of the car. It (moisture) built up over a period of time. Since the car has never really been fully warmed, the bits of ice kept accumulating... then the sudden warmth of the car wash simply melted the remnants of ice that had been building up.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you run floor/defrost or just defrost once on the road? I have been running fan 4 defrost/floor split and seems to work well. Turn back the temp when it gets to warm. Keeping air moving helps get the moisture out of the car.
Sorry for the slow response for some reason I am not getting notifications of new postings from here.

I generally start-up with the just the windshield air. Then I will switch to a mix of windshield & floor. Depending on the outside temp I have noted that sometimes I need to run just windshield to keep the windows clear. I am a big buy with the seat almost all the way back and the drivers side rear window takes a lot of air movement before it clears.

I too run high heat until it warms up then I turn the heat down closer to medium (if on a long drive). I am finding it really depends on the what the outside temp is and how many of are in the car at once on what temp/air flow/ fan speed combo I use.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts