Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cruze 1LT / Crystal Red Tint coat / All Factory Upgrades
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into installing some interior footwell LED strips in my cruze. My family has a Tesla Model 3 with these lights in the footwells and I love the look. Here is the catch, they are on when you open the door at night and are super bright (so you can see when your getting in) and upon closing the door they stay bright until you put the car in gear. At this point the lights dim but say on for ambient lighting. I would like to try and mimic this look as best as I can. I assume I cant make the lights dim but that's ok having full brightness all the time wouldn't bother me. But I would like them to come on when I open the door and then stay on while driving at night. I've seen people tap into the dome light circuit on the BCM, this would provide power to the LED's when the door is opened but that circuit is turned off when you close the door after a period of time. Any ideas on how to get them to stay on when I close the door as well as driving.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Ok where would to put this relay and how to wire it up?
Arduino. Google how to make a voltmeter. 30K/12K resistors should be good. You don't need over voltage protection in this case for the voltmeter.

Your voltmeter will go to the dome lamps. If your Arduino detects a PWM signal then turn your leds on.

Tie into one of the 5V PWM dash LEDs. Plug that directly into the Arduino and again read PWM. Use this to get reference for dimming via the OEM dimmer.

The Arduino itself should be able to power a substantial amount of LEDs but if you are going crazy you will need a separate power supply.

Power itself should come from any RAP circuit. I would use 5V hardwiring kits made for dash cams as those are cheap and work well enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.