1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Looking good

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Now we know what you are doing with all of your patience ! I get to use that word again T I T S ..

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the silver plastic and the chrome trim rings are my least favorite part of the interior...will do this
IMO, the small amount of chrome trim looks really nice after the silver plastic has been covered up. I would recommend wrapping the silver plastic and then sitting on it for a week or so. I'm amazed how much better it looks once the silver is looked after.

Funny, I did my car first and didn't tell her I'd done it. The next time she was in the car I saw her looking around at things but she didn't say anything right away. Then after a while she came out and said, "You know, for a cheaper car this is really nice inside." So I told her how big a difference a little vinyl can make! She had no clue I'd changed anything... she's one of those people who doesn't notice ANYTHING about cars.

It took her all of two minutes to ask what hers would look like if I did it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JstCruzn said:
I dig it, where do you buy the vinyl wraps from?
zerogravity said:
Yes, do tell where did you get it. Did you by any chance take pics of the process??

I bought it from a local sign supply place. There are TONS of places on the web to order this stuff through, and many different brands (and knockoffs) to choose from. I would suggest for anyone getting started (like me) that the brand name films are probably much easier to work with and more forgiving of mistakes. I used 3M 1080 Scotchprint series vinyl, and the textured types like these are usually about twice as expensive as the plain solid colors. Here's there catalog page:

3M

I didn't take any pics of the process, but there are lots of tutorials on the web and most trim parts offer similar challenges. If it's your first time I suggest buying more than you think you need so you can start over if you screw up... it also takes some of the stress out of the project.

Mick said:
I especially like the brushed but both look really good.

I like the brushed too. I'm not sure how it will lend itself to the Cruze dash pieces, being that it's a fine directional pattern. It suits the BMW interior perfectly (long narrow pieces with crisp sharp edges) and looks really good, much better in person even than in pics. The only time I don't like the brushed is when there's direct sunlight on it; it has a metallic fleck in it that reflects sunlight in a way that's not too convincing of the brushed metal look, but interior pieces don't suffer from direct sunlight too often. In all other lighting it looks fantastic. She was blown away with how good it looks... she was concerned that the interior would look too black, but she's glad I talked her into it. It's the 1080-BR212.

The carbon looks really good in low light, like when I'm in my parking garage and it's only lit up by the dome light. It really is a convincing effect and in some places on the dash actually has you thinking you're looking at real clear coated carbon, even in direct sunlight. Note: this is the newer glossy 1080-CF12 carbon, NOT the original matte Dinoc carbon. The Dinoc would not look nearly as good on interior trim IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blue... what size roll would you need for what you did? Would a 12"x60" roll work or should we go with the 24"x60"?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't remember exactly, but I'm 99% sure 12" will not be wide enough. Measure the minimum width on the trim and add at least 2" to that measurement, you want to have a little overlap to work with since handling the film messes up the adhesive.

On that note, make sure your hands are CLEAN! I washed my hands every 15 minutes or so while doing this... any sweat or dirt you get on the adhesive will reduce it's ability to stick. Not what you want on tight corners for sure!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks! Ya I just spoke with another member on here from my area and he did some of his dash. He said the 12" wide would not work for the center vent piece.

Man that looks cool... can't wait to get mine done!!

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread made me jump the gun on 3M black brushed metal, those pictures look simply amazing. Good work!
The brushed black looks REALLY good, I'm very happy with the way her car came out. The BMW trim is long and straight and the brushed look fits it perfectly. The end result is a trim piece that actually looks like it's made from aluminum.

I'm not sure how I would like it in the Cruze simply because of the shape of the interior trim... they look more "organic", more like something that's injection molded rather than stamped out of sheet metal. I'm sure not against the idea of trying it, though, and I do have more of the brushed black... post pics when you get it done, I'm VERY curious as to how it will look.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.