Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there are numerous posts regarding this issue but I wanted to lay out my specific problems and attempts to correct in hopes that someone on this forum can help. The AC off due to high engine temp warning is somewhat intermittent on my 2011 Cruze with 1.4. I can sometimes drive 40 or 50 miles before the indication and sometimes it's within four or five minutes after starting the car. I can shut down the engine and wait five or ten minutes and the problem may go away for thirty minutes or may return within a few minutes. The temperature gauge pegs on high temp when I get this message. I checked the upper and lower radiator hoses when the message appears and the upper hose is warm but the lower hose is cold.

These are the things I have done to try and correct the problem: *Replaced temp sensor at water outlet * Replaced temp sensor at radiator *Replaced Water Outlet * Replaced Themostat *Bled air from system using bleed fitting at top of passenger side of radiator. The water pump does not leak nor does it make any strange noises so I haven't replaced it. This is driving me nuts but I am at a loss as to what I should do next. I really don't want to take it to the dealership as I hate to pay the crazy prices for what is usually a simple fix i.e. they wanted over $500 to replace the water outlet and the same to replace thermostat.

Please help.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It sounds like a sensor or wiring issue, being that it is intermittent and does not seem to be actually overheating by your description. Have you checked/tested your wiring from the ECM to the temp sensors?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what led you to replacing those parts? Was there a code in there? Coolant leaking out of sensors?

How's that radiator fan work? Do you have all 3 speeds? Is your surge tank leaking?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
You might want to look into buying a scan tool that can read those sensors. Then you can see which sensor is reporting the overheat and decide if it's telling the truth or not.

Given what you've changed, I'm thinking wiring/connector issue somewhere, but a tool will help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like a sensor or wiring issue, being that it is intermittent and does not seem to be actually overheating by your description. Have you checked/tested your wiring from the ECM to the temp sensors?
I've visually inspected and don't see any problems. Is there a method to test the wiring?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, what led you to replacing those parts? Was there a code in there? Coolant leaking out of sensors?

How's that radiator fan work? Do you have all 3 speeds? Is your surge tank leaking?

Thanks for responding. To answer your questions: I didn't list it but the first thing I did was replace the coolant overflow hose. I had to replace the windshield and the technician doing the work broke the fitting on the hose that fits into the water outlet. Didn't notice it until the firs time I drove it and it overheated. After the overheat issue the water outlet began leaking between the head and the water outlet. After replacing the water outlet the AC off due to engine temp issued continued so I decided to replace the thermostat in order to eliminate it as a possible cause. The fan seems to work fine but I am not certain all three speeds are working is there a way I can test this.

·
Super Moderator
6,947 Posts
Thanks for responding. To answer your questions: I didn't list it but the first thing I did was replace the coolant overflow hose. I had to replace the windshield and the technician doing the work broke the fitting on the hose that fits into the water outlet. Didn't notice it until the firs time I drove it and it overheated. After the overheat issue the water outlet began leaking between the head and the water outlet. After replacing the water outlet the AC off due to engine temp issued continued so I decided to replace the thermostat in order to eliminate it as a possible cause. The fan seems to work fine but I am not certain all three speeds are working is there a way I can test this.
Make sure to spray a bit of plastic safe electrical contact cleaner into each of the harness connectors and then after a minute or so blow them out with compressed air. If any coolant or other liquid gets in there it will wreak havoc on the connections.

Diagnosing bad fan/resistor pack

·
Registered
165 Posts
Look to see if there are any orange drops forming or staining on the underside of the surge tank. This should tell you whether or not it's leaking. It tends to get hairline cracks in it and it leaks coolant out slowly. As well as I've seen some not hold pressure causing an overheat situation.

For your fan. Let your car get hot (a/c off) until you hear the fan kick on. It should got through the 3 stages as well you should be able to hear the relays click if you're right beside the fuse box. If all you're getting it your high speed then you have an issue with the fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts