Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

intermittent oil leak

1490 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  josh2012eco
So a week ago I was on my way to work and as I exit the interstate and pull up to the stop light I notices a strong burning oil/gas smell. I thought nothing of it And assumed it was coming from the semi in front of me. Well when I got to work I noticed smoke coming from the grill. I popped the hood and there was oil all over and my oil cap was missing. Assumed the oil cap came loose and fell off so I bought a New one to replace it. Since then I've noticed oil on the ground underneath my car. Apparently I'm loosing oil at a rate of a quart every few days. I'm wondering if to much pressure built up causing the cap to pop off and created a leak somewhere. I've started the car a few times and a stream of oil would come out and then stops. Seems to only leak when I start or turn off the car. Just wondering what could be the culprit. The car seems to be running fine and I haven't got any codes.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Look behing the crank pulley, and in between the trans and engine at the bottom.
It sounds like a rear main or front seal popped out.
If pressure built up enough to unseat the oil cap, it will push seal out of place.
Question is: what caused this pressure?
Bad pcv, or excessive blow by?
If it is under warranty, tow it to the dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.