Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Intermittent power loss :(

9609 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Merc6
So the facts
- I have noticed my car do this more often as of the past past month
- I have 36000 miles on her
- I have no check engine lights
- My only engine mod is injen intake
- I only use 93 or higher octane since purchased new even had dealer fill it with 93
- I typically only fill up at shell or b/p
- I checked my plugs a long time ago and they were all within spec

Issue:

While driving I will notice sometimes a huge dip in torque in all gears. Almost as though my throttle position doesn't get read. It seems random at best, I have been looking for a common theme and have found nothing to link it to anything time, temp, gear, incline, weight, noise, shift pattern, electronics on or off.

Question: I want to know if anyone has experienced this and what was the resolve. Or how to properly Diag/Identify the problem.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Under what conditions do you have the power drops? High RPM, low RPM, steady load driving, accelerations, etc.?

· Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What environment are you operating in........temperatures.....hills.....altitude.....

Worse with A/C operating or no change......

Worse after a hot restart.....

That info can help give clues.

Rob
same scenarios it just happens once every other week for about 5-10 sec.
Its like the torque management system is cutting power. The only thing I can think of is that my oil life is low and the pcm is cutting duty.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Automatic or manual? I'm sure you've told us before but it makes a difference in where to look.

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
I'm kinda running along the lines of 'heat soak'......operating conditions, specifically heat, ambient and underhood can create a situation that has you running on the edge of spark knock regardless of fuel grade.
These things have a very agressive spark retard schedule that pulls tons of timing and does not recover for several seconds.....makes for quite a lag.

Also....I'm suspicious of your intake.....the stock system pulls air from a point of fairly ambient air temperature.....I believe your system pulls more underhood (hot) air and could put you closer to that timing 'edge' I mentioned.

Rob

· Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm kinda running along the lines of 'heat soak'......operating conditions, specifically heat, ambient and underhood can create a situation that has you running on the edge of spark knock regardless of fuel grade.
These things have a very agressive spark retard schedule that pulls tons of timing and does not recover for several seconds.....makes for quite a lag.

Also....I'm suspicious of your intake.....the stock system pulls air from a point of fairly ambient air temperature.....I believe your system pulls more underhood (hot) air and could put you closer to that timing 'edge' I mentioned.

Rob
Its a true cold air so same location as factory. Bottom of the bumper, SCARY to think about with heavy rain.

· Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Rob
I am gonna try to monitor IATs just incase in the mean time its just hard with the whole does it when it wants to. I am also thinking wastegate sticking...

· Registered
990 Posts
Sounds more like a turbo issue. The po299 issues doesn't always set off the CEL

· Registered
990 Posts

· Registered
1,160 Posts
you not noticing this after refueling are you? Or sometime shortly after

Reactions: Merc6

10,589 Posts
Being an Eco, the FMIC is sammiched in between the radiator and condenser with shutters closed. If the car doesn't think it's hot,(from what I been reading) the shutters usually stay closed. I usually feel what you describe when I do a hard pull to get on freeway and merge. I usually have to wait a few before making another hard pull or it feels a bit sluggish tune or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.