Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. As the title says my car will occasionally stall right after I let go of the key. It sounds exactly like it does when it starts, and will start and run normally when I turn the key again. It has new plugs and a new Pcv valve. There are no codes or drivability issues. The security light doesn't flash either. I saw elsewhere where people had issues with the security system. Any ideas as to what it might be? It's a 2011 Eco automatic with 60,000 miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
My knee-jerk reaction is defective keyswitch. Instead of coming back to "run" it ends up at "off". Naturally, that's not going to set any codes.

Since the computer does all the work, you might try holding the key in start a bit longer (I think the computer will disengage the starter so you won't hurt anything) and then letting go. If it still dies right when you let go (and perhaps doesn't die if you let it come back slowly), I'd say it's the switch.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
2 times over a 3 year period when I would start my car and instantly take off, it would feel as though the car wanted to stall. Both times this occurred I put in a bottle of Techron concentrate, the car felt normal again aver about a half tank burned. Since I run top tier premium fuel 99% of the time, would not have thought I needed any injection cleaner. Now I just run a bottle or two in the spring time yearly, since January/February I burn the most fuel and do the most idling.

·
10,695 Posts
2 times over a 3 year period when I would start my car and instantly take off, it would feel as though the car wanted to stall. Both times this occurred I put in a bottle of Techron concentrate, the car felt normal again aver about a half tank burned. Since I run top tier premium fuel 99% of the time, would not have thought I needed any injection cleaner. Now I just run a bottle or two in the spring time yearly, since January/February I burn the most fuel and do the most idling.
New bottle doesn't even say Chevron with "techron" anymore.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. This is a once every 5 or 6 starts thing-usually after sitting for a few hours. There would be no chance to put it in gear to take off. It sounds like it started, but by the time you would reach for the gearshift it wouldn't be running. The next turn of the key it starts and is running. I was thinking a possible fuel issue though and have never run a fuel system cleaner through it. When talking about the switch, would that be the internal switch on the column or my key fob? I don't think it's ever happened with my wife's key.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My knee-jerk reaction is defective keyswitch. Instead of coming back to "run" it ends up at "off". Naturally, that's not going to set any codes.

Since the computer does all the work, you might try holding the key in start a bit longer (I think the computer will disengage the starter so you won't hurt anything) and then letting go. If it still dies right when you let go (and perhaps doesn't die if you let it come back slowly), I'd say it's the switch.
When you say it comes back to off, do you mean internally? Externally it ends up in run-just like any other time I let go of the key.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Sounds like you've gotten some great suggestions here, hawkeye. Keep us posted on whether or not you choose to use a fuel system cleaner. If you're thinking you'd like to have a Chevy Certified technician take a look at this we'll gladly contact them on your behalf. We're just a private message away if you have any questions.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
When you say it comes back to off, do you mean internally?
Yes, the switch contacts open up just like you switched it to off. It's a disconnect between what you're telling the switch and what the switch is telling the car.

At least, that's my theory.

If the computer decided to turn the car off, I'd think it would set a code - although, maybe not a light. It might be worth heading to the parts store and ask them to scan for codes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the same problem the first day I had my Cruze.

I solved it by not letting the key go and having it return on the internal spring.

I know it sounds dumb but just keep your hand on the key, turn it momentarily to the start position and then return it to ON without letting go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the switch contacts open up just like you switched it to off. It's a disconnect between what you're telling the switch and what the switch is telling the car.

At least, that's my theory.

If the computer decided to turn the car off, I'd think it would set a code - although, maybe not a light. It might be worth heading to the parts store and ask them to scan for codes.
I have a scanner and it hasn't ever thrown a code or had pending codes. Is there a fix for that ignition switch . It would be hard for a dealer to repeat because it is so intermittent.

beezlebubba: I've turned the key the same way for over 58,000 miles and it just started happening, so I don't know that it would solve this, unless the snapping back weakened that internal switch. Thanks again to everyone for suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts