Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm not an owner yet but hoping that will change. I have my eye on a 2014 Cruze Eco with the M6. I currently have 2 Pontiac G8 GXP's and a 2011 F-150 Lariat 5.0 crew-cab. With my job, I've put 22k miles on my truck this last year and after doing the math, it makes sense to get a more efficient commuter vehicle as a 4th car.

The car I'm looking at has a few things I need to take care of after taking ownership. My questions are:

• The dealer says it is missing both remote key fobs. I test drove it with the "normal" key. What is the part number of replacement fobs? I see them on Amazon or eBay but I want to make sure it is an OEM piece. Is the dealership the best place to get the new keys cut?
  • The previous owner had a 2-gauge-pod A-pillar that's not fastened right. It has a boost gauge and the other slot is empty so I'd like to replace it with an OEM pillar.

That'll start the questions, I'm sure I will have more.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they don't have the Key I'd make them order Keys. Is this a Chevy Dealer?
It is not a Chevy Dealer and they mentioned they will sharpen their pencil on price because it is missing keys....mostly because they think the replacements are pricey but from what I have seen GM isn't as bad as other makes.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Key fobs for the Cruze were about $80 each back in 2012 when I purchased my ECO MT. Have this dealership order two fobs from the nearest GM dealership (any GM brand will do).

<moderator> I edited the post title - it was driving my OCD nuts. </moderator>

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,593 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm not an owner yet but hoping that will change. I have my eye on a 2014 Cruze Eco with the M6. I currently have 2 Pontiac G8 GXP's and a 2011 F-150 Lariat 5.0 crew-cab. With my job, I've put 22k miles on my truck this last year and after doing the math, it makes sense to get a more efficient commuter vehicle as a 4th car.

The car I'm looking at has a few things I need to take care of after taking ownership. My questions are:

• The dealer says it is missing both remote key fobs. I test drove it with the "normal" key. What is the part number of replacement fobs? I see them on Amazon or eBay but I want to make sure it is an OEM piece. Is the dealership the best place to get the new keys cut?
  • The previous owner had a 2-gauge-pod A-pillar that's not fastened right. It has a boost gauge and the other slot is empty so I'd like to replace it with an OEM pillar.

That'll start the questions, I'm sure I will have more.

Thanks!
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

If you don't trust the selling dealer, go to a GM dealer and get a quote for two keys - programmed to the vehicle.

Yes for the most part, the dealer is the best - but not the only place.

You can easily sell/swap the pillar and gauge with someone here for their OEM one.

Also get the CarFax on it as well as taking the VIN and getting the history on the vehicle - i.e recall repairs etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow. Vehicle history report looked good, but because the previous owner had his name on his phone in the paired BT phones, I googled his name and found an article from a few years ago where the guy was involved in a road-rage incident.

Here are some pictures of the car. I'll probably undo some of the modifications the previous owner did, like remove the blacked out chrome trim around the windows and in the back below the chevy emblem.

I have a friend with an Eco and he seemed surprised this one had fog lights but it sounds like it's something easy to add.

Anything else look out of the ordinary? I'm getting a good deal on it according to Cargurus, $2500 below market value, it has 59k miles on it.

cruze01.jpeg

cruze02.jpeg

cruze03.jpeg

cruze04.jpeg

cruze05.jpeg

cruze06.jpeg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Probably just out of warranty.
The issue with those cruzes is their never ending heater core leaks.
Not a problem if you live in hot climates,
But colder climates, you either do without the heater core, or have the coolant fluid leak in your engine bay.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Looks pretty clean, congratulations and welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's lowered, and appears that it's on coilovers, which should be adjustable for ride height. Definitely not stock suspension.
The dealership mentioned something about that and I was like "nah" because I got the sense he couldn't turn a wrench. I'm anxious to pick it up today so I can give it a good look over. I'd normally pass on something like this being that it was modded with a slightly shady past, but Eco with the MT's are harder to find.....so to have one in 5 miles away at $2500 below market value has me willing to take the risk.

I have a list of to-do's with it, probably the oil-change will be done first and then I will try and get a baseline of the MPGs before I start tweaking things.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
With the coilovers I wouldn't be surprised to find the car has a performance tune as well. They aren't related but it appears many folks who do one will also do the other. Until proven otherwise, run premium (91 or higher) gas in it.

At that mileage and age I would also do a synchromesh swap out and brake fluid replacement. The GM dot3 is fine for the brakes. Use 2.5 quarts of Amsoil synchromesh for the gear oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the coilovers I wouldn't be surprised to find the car has a performance tune as well. They aren't related but it appears many folks who do one will also do the other. Until proven otherwise, run premium (91 or higher) gas in it.

At that mileage and age I would also do a synchromesh swap out and brake fluid replacement. The GM dot3 is fine for the brakes. Use 2.5 quarts of Amsoil synchromesh for the gear oil.
Well I picked up the car today and my first stop was the dealer to pick up a new set of floor mats and a new key fob. After that I drove it home and reset the radio to defaults and such. I noticed the oil life monitor was at 19% and I was planning on changing it anyway, but I went over to Autozone to get filters. I picked up a cabin filter, engine filter, and oil filter. I removed the boost gauge, the a-pillar, and some leftover wires from other gauges. I re-did where the T-adapter for the boost gauge was (under the intake manifold).

Next I pulled apart he intake to change the filter and the filter in it looked brand new, so I'm guessing the car had an intake on it. I went and changed the oil and the filter and also the cabin filter, which was really dirty. The car was out of windshield washer fluid too, so I went to put a gallon of that, but the fill neck was missing for some reason, so I'll have to pick one of those up as well.

After I finished that, I took it for a drive to my daughter's lesson and was really starting to mind the harsh ride from the coil-overs......but also noticed that the engine fan was on high and I hardly had any power......basically I wasn't getting boost from the turbo, so I dont know if it was in limp mode or what. I got to my daughters lessons and then worked on double-checking everything and all looked good. I started it back up and it was fine so I'm not sure what that was about. Any ideas?

After dinner I removed a front wheel and a rear wheel to take a look what kind of coilovers were on it and it looks like they are "CXRacing" and they have adjustable dampening. I noticed clunks when I hit large bumps so I'm not if they are adjusted right or not.

Anyway, I took some pictures with questions:

WTF is this thing behind the A-pillar? I have a new pillar coming later this week but I didn't know what this was.
20180418_151602.jpg

While I was working on the intake, I noticed this hose wasn't plugged into the intake box. It's the smaller hose below the main intake. What is it?
20180418_193512.jpg

20180418_193529.jpg

Top of strut in engine bay:
20180418_193823.jpg

Picture of rear strut:
20180418_194202.jpg

Finally, is there any way to tell if it has a tune on it? I actually have HPTuners for my other cars but if a tune gives this thing 180hp, I won't be able to tell since I don't know what 148hp baseline feels like......plus when I have two Pontiac G8 GXPs with 500hp, my sense of horsepower is skewed, lol!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The front engine bay strut is missing the cap.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Really clear photography @DuBob. What are you using to take those pictures?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,342 Posts
A-pillar thing might be a SRS or impact sensor (accel/decel, something like that)

Sounds like you got stuck in limp mode. I'd suspect there might be a tune on it as well, but you can try scanning for codes if it happens again. Might find a P0299 underboost code or something.

I wonder if the previous owner is still around here or the FAcebook group.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A-pillar thing might be a SRS or impact sensor (accel/decel, something like that)

Sounds like you got stuck in limp mode. I'd suspect there might be a tune on it as well, but you can try scanning for codes if it happens again. Might find a P0299 underboost code or something.

I wonder if the previous owner is still around here or the FAcebook group.
I need to add some coolant, bleed the brakes and do some other things. I turned the coilover dampeners counter-clockwise all the way on the front, but I have no idea how to get to the adjustments in the back. I may try to go back to a stock suspension in the long run. I want comfort over performance as I have these for the latter.

g8's.jpg

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,342 Posts
Well when I was looking at the car, I went to BT paired phones and saw a name, Eugene Houseknect and a quick google brought up an interesting article:
Washingtonville man charged in Dec. 25 road-rage incident | News | dailyitem.com

I need to add some coolant, bleed the brakes and do some other things. I turned the coilover dampeners counter-clockwise all the way on the front, but I have no idea how to get to the adjustments in the back. I may try to go back to a stock suspension in the long run. I want comfort over performance as I have these for the latter.

View attachment 260954
Yes, it looks to have a Trifecta tune on it from a quick search through the FB group. I don't know if it was taken off when sold.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts