Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been here for a while, but never actually started any "build thread". Wasn't sure anything would really take off with either my car or the Cruze aftermarket, at least from what I've seen and in comparison to all of my prior vehicle builds.

However, I shall begin!

I will try to steer away from mods like "plasti dipped wheels", etc, but will throw occasional eye candy pieces in from time to time.

As I write this today, I stand with the current mods:

• Stock everything, really, but with a pro-tune (HP Tuners) by a high performance GM tuner here in Denver: American Intense Racing (looks like he recently tuned a Corvette to 1209whp...)
  • Custom "ram" intake of sorts. I deleted the resonator and re routing some of my own custom plumbing to get the air up inside there quicker and cooler :)
  • Re-gapped the stock spark plugs
  • HID lights
  • Grounding system (big 3)
  • Port and polished stock turbo
  • Stock downpipe ceramic coated and wrapped
I will be posting pictures of all of these later.

Mods for the near future:

• ZZP Downpipe
  • ZZP or other TBE setup
  • ddmworks wheel spacers
  • Water/Meth - still haven't decided on which kit to go with
  • Various odds and ends I've forgotten to mention here.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And as a sticky note to myself especially, last weekend I did a few mods all on one time: the turbo port/polish, the custom air "ram" induction, re gapped the plugs. I was also running on a little E85. All of this combined made a bit of a different for me. I can't attribute it to any one thing. 1st and 2nd gear feel about the same, but once 3000pms hit in 3rd gear, the car takes off and felt like the first day I got my car tuned from stock.

I've been talking with my tuner, and we're going to do the downpipe, exhaust, and water meth all at once hopefully, then re-dyno this baby. I want 200whp some day!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I regret to inform anyone reading that my Cruze has decided to die.

I am very upset.

I was on the highway headed up the mountains for Mother's Day - perfect timing - and my car began to overheat. The needle would jump immediately to the full red/hot line, then jump back down to the middle (normal), then shoot back up to full high again. Everything would start lighting up on the DIC: Idle Engine, Overheated, AC Off, Service Traction Control, Change Engine Oil Soon, Service Stabilitrak, etc. I pulled over immediately to assess on the side of the road, and then to a gas station. I know I recently changed my coolant when I wrapped the turbo manifold, but haven't had any issues like this since then. No leaks, nothing. Perfect fill of Dexcool and water, even a little Redline Water Wetter to keep things cool...

I would wait 20min or so, let everything cool down, pop the coolant cap and let the pressure out, and it would seem like there was now no coolant in the system. I had some leftover Dexcool and distilled water in the trunk, so I would top it off and then get to driving again. 10min later, the whole thing would happen all over again. This happened maybe two more times, and then finally when I went to try turning the engine back on after about 45min of just sitting on the side of the road, the engine wouldn't crank.

Now the car was dead. Three sheets to the wind.

I made sure all electrical stuff was connected, made sure I had good voltage on the battery, but no matter what I did, the Cruze wouldn't start. A snow storm and 3 hours later, I had it towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealership. We'll see what they say in the morning. Meanwhile, I'm without a car to get to work or anything, so I'm incredibly stressed.

Any thoughts on the overheating issue and then subsequent not-starting of the engine?

I read that the 2011 Cruze had a recall on the water pump that was causing a coolant leak. I'm hoping/wondering if that will be the same issue as mine so they can fix it quickly. Otherwise, I really hope whatever is wrong is covered under my warranty. I only have 46,000 miles on it, and I've never had a single issue with this car and I love it. I'm just really worried now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Water pump will render the car unable to start?
The water pump could cause the loss of coolant - but usually those leaks are not all that big and it is possible to keep up with them. It's not going to leak down in 10 minutes of driving.

The failure to start sounds like very bad news.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd say blown head gasket, and it's leaking coolant back into a cylinder or 2. reason it wont crank is more then likely got a cylinder full of coolant.

water does not compress well, be extremely lucky if it hasn't hydro-locked.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I regret to inform anyone reading that my Cruze has decided to die.

I am very upset.

I was on the highway headed up the mountains for Mother's Day - perfect timing - and my car began to overheat. The needle would jump immediately to the full red/hot line, then jump back down to the middle (normal), then shoot back up to full high again. Everything would start lighting up on the DIC: Idle Engine, Overheated, AC Off, Service Traction Control, Change Engine Oil Soon, Service Stabilitrak, etc. I pulled over immediately to assess on the side of the road, and then to a gas station. I know I recently changed my coolant when I wrapped the turbo manifold, but haven't had any issues like this since then. No leaks, nothing. Perfect fill of Dexcool and water, even a little Redline Water Wetter to keep things cool...

I would wait 20min or so, let everything cool down, pop the coolant cap and let the pressure out, and it would seem like there was now no coolant in the system. I had some leftover Dexcool and distilled water in the trunk, so I would top it off and then get to driving again. 10min later, the whole thing would happen all over again. This happened maybe two more times, and then finally when I went to try turning the engine back on after about 45min of just sitting on the side of the road, the engine wouldn't crank.

Now the car was dead. Three sheets to the wind.

I made sure all electrical stuff was connected, made sure I had good voltage on the battery, but no matter what I did, the Cruze wouldn't start. A snow storm and 3 hours later, I had it towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealership. We'll see what they say in the morning. Meanwhile, I'm without a car to get to work or anything, so I'm incredibly stressed.

Any thoughts on the overheating issue and then subsequent not-starting of the engine?

I read that the 2011 Cruze had a recall on the water pump that was causing a coolant leak. I'm hoping/wondering if that will be the same issue as mine so they can fix it quickly. Otherwise, I really hope whatever is wrong is covered under my warranty. I only have 46,000 miles on it, and I've never had a single issue with this car and I love it. I'm just really worried now.
Hi Invierno,

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Were you able to hear anything from the dealership today regarding this? Let me know if you need any additional assistance with this by reaching out to me in a private message. Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership your Cruze is at. Looking forward to your updates!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say blown head gasket, and it's leaking coolant back into a cylinder or 2. reason it wont crank is more then likely got a cylinder full of coolant.

water does not compress well, be extremely lucky if it hasn't hydro-locked.
Yea, they said it overheated so much that at the very least the heads are warped. They won't know much more until they start tearing the engine apart. I hope the block is fine, since it's iron, but the aluminum heads are probably toast and need to be replaced along with head gaskets, etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Invierno,

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Were you able to hear anything from the dealership today regarding this? Let me know if you need any additional assistance with this by reaching out to me in a private message. Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership your Cruze is at. Looking forward to your updates!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you so much Patsy for chiming in. The dealership so far has been great. They quickly diagnosed that my heads are probably warped and my car will be down for quite some time, at least this entire week. They said it will all be covered under my factory warranty and they even set me up with a rental (GM product) that I don't have to pay for. I am very grateful!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thank you so much Patsy for chiming in. The dealership so far has been great. They quickly diagnosed that my heads are probably warped and my car will be down for quite some time, at least this entire week. They said it will all be covered under my factory warranty and they even set me up with a rental (GM product) that I don't have to pay for. I am very grateful!
You are so welcome, Invierno! Glad to hear the dealership has been taking care of you and your Cruze. I look forward to when you get her back, and continuing to enjoy her once again!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
I 'd Comment but ya would not like me then ..But then again IDGAF ..
So like what did ya do to yer cruzen Dawg to maker Cry ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I 'd Comment but ya would not like me then ..But then again IDGAF ..
So like what did ya do to yer cruzen Dawg to maker Cry ?
I am really confused.

What are you driving in the mean time?
2015 Malibu LTZ. Not a bad ride :) Surprisingly though, it doesn't seem to have the same OOMPH as my Cruze, which I find interesting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts