Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to install HID's on my cruze, and put LED bulbs in my dome lights and on my license plate in the color of blue. I called my local police department and asked them about this if this was legal, and they said no it isn't. Iowa can only have the color white for the headlights in HID's or amber color, and amber color or red for the license plate lights, and white only for the interior lights. WTF....seriously?? Well it looks like no modifications for me in that field anyway. Was hoping to add some style to my cruze...but I guess not. Im not going to break the law, because I wasn't raised that way. Iowa is pathetic when it comes to a lot of **** anymore. GRRR. Any ideas or suggestions??

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Put in some better H13 bulbs, and find some white LEDs?

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are quite a few states that restrict bulb colors due to red/blue being emergency colors. That is the law here in CA as well. Every other color is ok though. I used to run purple everything back in my mini-truck days (79 datsun bulletside)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fellow Iowan, I have had 8000k HID's which have a blue tint to them for the past 5- years or so.. you are fine, trust me.. I have had blue interior lights in the past. I have even had a blueish tint to my plate light as well. never ever been talked to about it.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't really like the color white too much. It depends on what it is that's white. Lights...ehh. Im not sure about yet, especially with LEDS and HID's. I haven't seen either one in white, so I cant really say yay or nay.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fellow Iowan, I have had 8000k HID's which have a blue tint to them for the past 5- years or so.. you are fine, trust me.. I have had blue interior lights in the past. I have even had a blueish tint to my plate light as well. never ever been talked to about it.
What city do you live in? They told me that it was impersonating a police officer lol. I was like really? haha. Because im not even close to impersonating a police officer. He said it didn't matter...its still looking like a cop. I don't want to sound like a woosie but I don't have the extra funds to pay for a ticket due to something like this, so im probably going to have to scratch the whole idea.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put in some better H13 bulbs, and find some white LEDs?
I did have Sylvania ultraStar bulbs in my last cruze. They were bright for awhile but then they kinda died down within a couple months. Im assuming that the Phillips bulbs that were suggested are a much brighter bulb?

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I don't understand is....why does the law have to be such bitches about it, and why is it a big deal. I understand that there have been incidents in the past where people have actually impersonated a police officer and pulled people over and some people actually got shot...but I think they should relax a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What city do you live in? They told me that it was impersonating a police officer lol. I was like really? haha. Because im not even close to impersonating a police officer. He said it didn't matter...its still looking like a cop. I don't want to sound like a woosie but I don't have the extra funds to pay for a ticket due to something like this, so im probably going to have to scratch the whole idea.
I live in Des Moines, I think they are thinking that you mean a deep blue not a hint of blue. trust me your fine....

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in Des Moines, I think they are thinking that you mean a deep blue not a hint of blue. trust me your fine....
Oh that's right..duh lol. I should have remembered that. I am just wanting a bright enough blue that it looks cool inside and outside of my car, and it makes my car stand out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Interior lights can be any color you want as far as I know since they're not on while driving. Just can't have blue/red on the front and blue on the back. I'd look up the law for your city/county to make sure.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interior lights can be any color you want as far as I know since they're not on while driving. Just can't have blue/red on the front and blue on the back. I'd look up the law for your city/county to make sure.
Would I look this up through the DOT website?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh that's right..duh lol. I should have remembered that. I am just wanting a bright enough blue that it looks cool inside and outside of my car, and it makes my car stand out.
Go to DDMTUNING.com and order either 35watt or 55 watt kit. 55watt kit is a lot brighter and will wash out the color a bit cause they are so bright. I have 55 watt HID's for my hi/lows and I have 35 watt for my fog lights. My color is 8000k for all bulbs. which has a hint of blue to them, your welcome to come to Des Moines and check mine out anytime. I have seen many cars out there with way more deeper blue than mine. I can't attest to those people and getting pulled over. But I have had 8000k on the past 3 vehicle and never a issue. DDM Tuning have excellent lights and great customer service. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.