Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

IOWA sucks for vehicle modifications

6K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  zr1000a1 
#1 ·
I wanted to install HID's on my cruze, and put LED bulbs in my dome lights and on my license plate in the color of blue. I called my local police department and asked them about this if this was legal, and they said no it isn't. Iowa can only have the color white for the headlights in HID's or amber color, and amber color or red for the license plate lights, and white only for the interior lights. WTF....seriously?? Well it looks like no modifications for me in that field anyway. Was hoping to add some style to my cruze...but I guess not. Im not going to break the law, because I wasn't raised that way. Iowa is pathetic when it comes to a lot of **** anymore. GRRR. Any ideas or suggestions??

#10 ·
I did have Sylvania ultraStar bulbs in my last cruze. They were bright for awhile but then they kinda died down within a couple months. Im assuming that the Phillips bulbs that were suggested are a much brighter bulb?

#6 ·
There are quite a few states that restrict bulb colors due to red/blue being emergency colors. That is the law here in CA as well. Every other color is ok though. I used to run purple everything back in my mini-truck days (79 datsun bulletside)

#9 ·
What city do you live in? They told me that it was impersonating a police officer lol. I was like really? haha. Because im not even close to impersonating a police officer. He said it didn't matter...its still looking like a cop. I don't want to sound like a woosie but I don't have the extra funds to pay for a ticket due to something like this, so im probably going to have to scratch the whole idea.

#8 ·
I don't really like the color white too much. It depends on what it is that's white. Lights...ehh. Im not sure about yet, especially with LEDS and HID's. I haven't seen either one in white, so I cant really say yay or nay.

#12 ·
What I don't understand is....why does the law have to be such bitches about it, and why is it a big deal. I understand that there have been incidents in the past where people have actually impersonated a police officer and pulled people over and some people actually got shot...but I think they should relax a little.

#17 ·
Good point lol...I just realized that

#16 ·
Interior lights can be any color you want as far as I know since they're not on while driving. Just can't have blue/red on the front and blue on the back. I'd look up the law for your city/county to make sure.

#18 ·
Would I look this up through the DOT website?

#19 ·

Reactions: ErikBEggs
#21 · (Edited)
If you ever question why officers seem like they have an attitude it's because of comments like this. They are not "bitches" and are doing their job just like the kid making your fries.... Most states are White/Amber up front Red/Amber rear while moving. Update your dome lights any color you want as they are not on while moving. Lights dancing to your music, ok until you are going down the highway, and they distract from your visual field anyway causing a safey concern. Legally you can put as many lights and colors on your car that you want to while it is a parking lot queen. Once you hit the highway it's an entirely different story and you either try to hide from the law or understand why it is in place. I'm not trying to rag on you, just after reading some of your other post in the past month since I bought my Cruze think a little common sense and reseach on your part will go a long ways.

#22 ·
When they say you can't have blue or red lights on your car they are probably meaning flashing lights.. Let me ask you this are there Lexis, MB, Acura, Infiniti cars that live in your state?? They all have bluish headlights.. Impersonating a police office would involve flashing lights to get another car to pull over.. I have never been driving and had a car with bright blue headlights behind me and thought to myself oh my there is a cop I need to pull over usually what goes through my mind is "whew I know that's not a cop".. I could understand if you put a red or blue bulbs in a turn signal because when you use it it flashes.. Your headlights don't flash nothing to worry about..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
Yeah there are cars like mercedes-benz and lexis cars all over Iowa that have bright blue colored lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 · (Edited)
As a fellow Iowan I can say you will probably never have to worry about swapping your headlights. The blue tint shouldn't be enough to cause anyone to think your a cop. Interior lights will get you into more trouble. If you add any lights just make sure you cant see the source (bulb itself) from an oncoming vehicle and you should be ok there as well with any color..as long as it doens't flash while moving. As for existing curtesy lights they will rarely, if ever, be on while you go down the road. If they are on and you get pulled over you best have a good reason to have them on or expect a strongly worded warning or a ticket.

Above all, be mindful of other drivers. It may not distract you but it could distract them causing them to report you or cause them to have an accident.

Drive safe! Good luck!

FYI...I'm running stock headlights and get bright-lighed frequently when I have them dimmed :/

#30 ·
I'm not saying he's wrong, but I would research the Iowa laws personally, as in read the code yourself or with someone who's familiar with reading codes.

I don't mean to imply law enforcement officers don't know what they're talking about, but they're not lawyers or judges, and they don't always know the law inside and out.

He may have been telling the truth, but it's worth a few minutes of looking it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.